Search results

1. K

Looking for spalted oak or sycamore

I'm looking for about 10bf of 4/4 or 5/4 spalted oak or sycamore. Any width between 3 and 8 inches. Anyone in the Raleigh area have some they are willing to sell?
  2. K

Why don't they stay flat?

Question for the experts... I have been making a variety of furniture items recently (coffee tables, end tables, TV stands, buffets, etc) and in most cases, I use a solid 3/4" wood glued-up top for these pieces. Immediately after glue-up they are dead-flat, but after some time (a few days to a...
  3. K

Another Mortise and Tenon question...

I'm planning a coffee table project which will use 2" square legs and 3/4" thick aprons with 3/8" thick tenons. My question is about the mortise depth. Is is better/stronger to stop each mortise short of intersecting each other in the corners or should the mortise meet and use 45 degree miters...
  4. K

How should I finish my roll-out trays?

For all of the finishing experts out there... I'm in the process of building some roll-outs (9 in total) for our kitchen cabinets. I'm using hard maple with dovetail joints for the box and baltic birch ply for the bottoms. I would like get suggestions on a clear finish that is both durable and...
  5. K

Cherry Pie Safe completed

As a companion to the Cherry Buffet I finished a few months back, I designed and built a Cherry Pie safe as well. I used the same construction and finishing technique as the buffet. The only difference are the reed glass inserts on the doors as we wanted to use the cabinet as somewhat of a...
  6. K

Need help deciding on a finish

I've made a couple of spalted oak serving trays using some scraps from another project. I'd appreciate any recommendations for finishing them. I don't want to stain or tint - just looking for the best suitable clear finish. So far, I'm considering wipe on poly, waterlox, or danish oil. Thanks in...
  7. K

Cherry Buffet Finished

I finished my Cherry Buffet project recently and thought I'd share the results... The original build was posted in this thread: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44609&highlight=cherry+buffet The finish was completed with a dewaxed shellac sealer coat and several coats of...
  8. K

Cherry buffet in process

I've been working on a cherry buffet for the dining room. It is a fairly straight forward, frame and panel style cabinet. It's been a fun project so far. It is my first time working with cherry. I plan to finish with Waterlox after a wash coat of dewaxed shellac. Thanks to all contributors on...
  9. K

Crokinole for Christmas

Thought I'd share my latest project with you all. I made a crokinole board for my kids using some leftover walnut from my bedroom furniture project. If you're interested, here is the wikipedia page for the game of crokinole.
  10. K

Help me choose my first bandsaw

I'm considering purchasing my first bandsaw. As a beginner in the hobby I don't think I need anything extravagant, but I also don't want to buy something I'm going to be frustrated with either. Having never owned a bandsaw before, I'm not sure which features I should be looking for. In...
  11. K

Advice needed for mirror frame

I'd like some advice on the construction details for a mirror frame I'm making. The frame is a basic stile and rail frame, containing a recessed mirror. The mirror is 30" x 36" x 3/16" so I was going to make the frame using 3/4" walnut with inside dimensions of 29.5" x 35.5", allowing for a...
  12. K

First post, first furniture project

Hi All, This is my first post here. With the kids off to college, I decided to get into the woodworking hobby several months ago to occupy my time away from my day job. I like working with my hands and thought this could also be a stress relieving actvitiy as well. In addition to the miter...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS