Search results

1. UncleJoe

upper vanity cabinet

my daughter is remodeling her bath and wants me to make a cabinet to sit on top of her vanity and upper vanity cabinet, I guess you would call it. The cabinet will sit on top of the quartz countertop. My question is what should I do to protect the plywood cabinet sides from moisture spills on...
  2. UncleJoe

Drop Zone for my daughter

My daughter wanted a place for her kids to drop their book bags and coats and such when they come home from school. I wanted to practice making an inlay with maple and black walnut. She likes it. The inlay is her married name. The little guy is my grandson/shop apprentice
  3. UncleJoe

Source for Melamine

I live near Washington NC and I need a few sheets of melamine for some shop cabinets. The closest source I can find is the Jacksonville Home depot. which is 52 miles away. I like melamine for shop cabinets because its cheap, fast, no finishing and in my use it has held up well. I know its not...
  4. UncleJoe

Cutlist FX Label function

As a hobbyist I have used and enjoyed Cutlist from Bridgewood Designs. I make a drawing in sketchup and import the parts to cutlist and it is pretty good at telling me the best way to cut my sheet goods and dimensional lumber as well as tracking costs and telling me how much material I will need...
  5. UncleJoe

3D printing experience

Well I last year I bought a 3 D printer kit. I started to assemble it and then my father passed away, so I was very busy with the estate and just put everything in a box and figured I would get back to it later. I have now completed the assembly and made a dozen or so items with it. My feedback...
  6. UncleJoe

Learned a new trick today

While this trick is not exactly woodworking it seems we are always painting something and this tip can make a difference. Some will already know this tip but it was new to me. I am finishing out a large basement in my house and hired some paint and drywall guys. They are really very good...
  7. UncleJoe

Mr. Cool Mini Split DIY

I just put in a Mr. Cool Mini Split DIY 18,000 btu so I thought I would pass on an installation review. I just installed it so a long term performance review will have to wait. If you have a shop in Eastern NC, like I do, you are always battling heat and humidity. I bought this house in January...
  8. UncleJoe

Wow this drill bit surprised me

Finishing a basement in my home and I had to do all the rough in electrical. Its 2800 sqft so there is a lot of holes to drill for running wire . I have a nice set of Irwin speed bores that were barely used but I would get 3/4 of the way through a 2x4 and it would no longer penetrate unless i...
  9. UncleJoe

Miter saw and stand for sale

I wanted to post this here before going the Craigs list or FB Marketplace route. This is a Hitachi C12RSH Miter saw. Used in a home shop and has seen moderate use. This saw has plenty of life left. The stand is a Best Fence from Fastcap and works well as a job site stand but I used it in my...
  10. UncleJoe

Oops never filled out this section

Well I joined back in 2011 but I don't think I ever did this step. I missed the instructions to fill this out, but hey who reads instructions anyway. I am now retired in Chocowinity and preparing to build a new shop as soon as the contractor gets around to it. I had a 600 sq ft shop in New Bern...
  11. UncleJoe

Longest dust control run?

I know there are a lot of variables to consider like size of Dust collector, size of pipes, turns, etc. I am looking for some "rules of thumb" to get me headed in the proper direction or to avoid very bad decisions. I had a nice 600 sq ft hobby wood shop then I retired and the "Boss" decided...
  12. UncleJoe

Shop Apron

Listened to a recent Podcast from Finewoodworking and they got on the topic of shop aprons. I began using an apron about 8 years ago and I like it. I currently use an apron from Dulth Trading and one of the features I like is mesh bottoms in the ppockets so sawdust flows through. I don't like...
  13. UncleJoe

Christmas gift ideas for the woodworker

Christmas season is upon us and I have very little problem finding gifts for all my friends and families but I often struggle when they ask me for a list of what I want. My family knows to stay away from the "gifts for dad" isle at Lowe's or Home Depot. They usually have bundles of moderate to...
  14. UncleJoe

CA Glue and Titebond III long term test

About 2 years ago I built a bed for my grandson out of walnut and walnut burl. I cut all the molding on my router table and I wanted to put all the trim on with no nail holes. I used Titebond III and CA glue. On each piece of trim I carefully applied the Titebond and left a few "openings" to...
  15. UncleJoe

Bloxygen results

A couple of years ago I read about or saw a youtube video about this stuff called bloxygen. It is supposed to be an aerosol gas that is heavier than air/oxygen and you spray some into a can of finish before sealing it up to protect the unused finish from going bad. The heavy gas is supposed to...
  16. UncleJoe

Basement Shop

I am retiring in a couple of months and we just purchased a home to be closer to my daughter and the grand kids. It is only about 45 miles north of our current home but closer to the grand kids so my wife is happy. I currently have a 600 sqft out building that has served as my shop for the...
  17. UncleJoe

Ultimate Tool Stand improvements

After much research I am considering building a modified version of the Ultimate tool stand. (http://christophermerrill.net/ww/plans/UTS/Tool_Stand_1.html) I know several users here have built the tool stand and have been using it for years. What would you do differently or add to it make it...
  18. UncleJoe

looking for source for hardwood in East NC

Great forum, I am really enjoying it. I live in New Bern NC and would like to find a good source for furniture grade hardwood. Anyone know a good dealer.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors