Search results

1. 02blues

Christmas canes for my 83 year old parents

Happy Holidays to all. Just finished my Christmas Canes for my 83 year old parents. There are an embarrassing number of flaws which I will not point out...:mrgreen: Walnut red-brown dye; walnut gel stain; rub on polyurethane; dark wax each has a religious medal and an old 1924 coin: could not...
  2. 02blues

Finished my bible box...

Finished my (Peter Follansbee's) bible box. Was a fun project. View image in gallery View image in gallery View image in gallery View image in gallery Hope you all have a happy holiday. Cheers.:icon_thum John
  3. 02blues

Steam Bending question

Making some walnut canes. Instead of using a brass handle like the photo I was thinking about steam bending one. How does (dry) Walnut bend? View image in gallery Thanks!
  4. 02blues

update for my hand tool buds

I posted this in woodcarving but thought I would throw it out here too. This is the forum where I live. White oak Peter Follansbee style bible box. Almost ready for the hinge. Will carve a quote on the inner lid and my name on the bottom before the finish and final attachments. Plan on my...
  5. 02blues

Bible box

Its been a while... Started working on my first bible box based on Peter Follansbee's (shows and articles). This is still in progress but feel like I am moving along the learning curve. Will post a few shots as it comes together. I like his "just bang it out" approach. (easy for him to...
  6. 02blues

Advice for my nephew...

Hi Guys I wrote this note to my nephew who is new to woodworking. After I wrote it I thought I would post my thoughts in this forum. I am always humbled by the experience of everyone on this site and thought I would offer my 2 cents. I thought your reply might help him as well. Cheers. John /...
  7. 02blues

willow

I have a willow that died and I will be cutting down.6-8in trunk only. What do you think of willow? never thought about it.
  8. 02blues

first tea table done

The tea table is finished. Tried a french polish technique discussed in finishing. Mahogany. Not perfect and learned a lot. Plan to make a second for a night stand.... View image in gallery View image in gallery View image in gallery View image in gallery
  9. 02blues

Final product / first french polish

Well: Here is is. Turned out OK. Not a glass shine but has a nice sheen and some reflectivity (?). Another trip around the learning curve. Mahogany: trans tint gel stain BLO shellac oil naphtha wax. View image in gallery View image in gallery View image in gallery View image in gallery
  10. 02blues

French polish: work in progress

Here is a post in follow up. I followed Jeff Jewitt's recipe from his book Finishing. Highly recommended. Don't be fooled though. This picture was taken before the mineral oil was removed. I can tell all the pores have been filled though and I think I will still have a nice glossy finish when...
  11. 02blues

Tea table ready to finish...

Hi all. Its been a while. Making 3 tea tables of mahogany. This was another hand tool fest. Spring pole lathe etc. Im sure number 2 and three will be better... Posting a question about french polishing in that forum. Will finish to match the 4 poster bed. Thanks for looking. John...
  12. 02blues

treatment of round table top edge

Wondering how to address the edge of my round table top with hand tools. Could round over and leave it... Any way to use a molding plane? Does it need to have a matching curve? Trouble with changing grain direction? Scraper / Bead? Might try to hand router out the central section...
  13. 02blues

Bow saw failure

Hi. My name is John. I am a bow saw failure.:eusa_doh: I've said it. Its not helping and I need some help! I have a larger bow saw (partially) seen in this photo. Sometimes I can drive it other times I cant. :BangHead: The thinner blade width I would think would be good for curves. Looks...
  14. 02blues

plans from garrett wade...!

I am planning to make some tilt top tea tables. I bought plans for them from both Garret Wade and Norm Abrams. The Garrett Wade document is pretty cool and makes me feel like I am studying an old map. I like Norms too modeled after Martha Washingtons night stand. Also bought the banjo clock...
  15. 02blues

Hide Glue...?

Any of you dudes using hide glue? I have the itch to try it.:slap: Any recs re glue types and or glue pots?
  16. 02blues

you tube....is that me?

Was looking through you tube with my nephew...for kicks typed in "spring pole lathe" Found a video of me..:eek:.that I had no knowledge of. What a shocker. Aside from being a horrible example of spring pole work it was a very pleasant surprise. More of a shocker. Recorded during an 09 shop...
  17. 02blues

FINALLY finished the bed.

Took me about a year to complete but also built a spring pole lathe, saw horses and a steam box along the way. Learned a lot. I will think twice before rejecting the idea to carve so much barley twist. Not sure my hands will recover. Once again no power tools used. (though I didn't cut the tree...
  18. 02blues

Advice on finishing mahogany

View image in gallery For me finishing is an opportunity to mess up what I just made...:swoon: Getting ready to finish a bed in mahogany. I did these mahogany candle sticks with trans tint, gel stain and shellac. I liked the dark color but want to see more grain. I also like a hand rubbed...
  19. 02blues

your most gratifying hand tool

Well I am sure this has been done... just ran across it in another post as well. Wanted to know what you hand tool guys enjoy using the most. I was thinking about this today. Just bought the Veritas low angle spoke shave. It is a joy to use. My favorite at the moment... Made some delicate long...
  20. 02blues

a happy flatlander and bed bolt covers

Well after months of turning and carving I am moving back into the world of flat and square. Nice to be back! Here are some photos as I prepare the bed posts for bolt covers. View image in gallery View image in gallery View image in gallery View image in gallery :icon_thum

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS