Search results

1. S

Epoxy ?

I’ve used artists oil paints with good success. I’ve also used fountain pen ink in the past.
  2. S

Can a sliding table saw...

I took the plunge a few years ago and got rid of my sliding crosscut saw. I've replaced it with my cross-cut sled, my old stanly 2244 mitre box, and a shooting board. I also don't do much with sheet goods. I haven't missed the old power slider at all - it took up too much space. Andrew
  3. S

Picnic Photographer Volunteer Needed

I don't see any information on times or dates on the web site. I would think the picnic might be nice to mention on the front page and possibly under events?
  4. S

Building my hand tool skills

Very nice. I love working with cherry. Poplar for the seconary wood?
  5. S

Denatured Alcohol

I prefer to use 190 proof everclear (typically for mixing shelac).
  6. S

Why I still use an old Ryobi AP-10 planner.

already have one - not sure what I would do with two.
  7. S

Why I still use an old Ryobi AP-10 planner.

My name is Andrew and I also use an old Ryobi AP-10 planner. My reason for using this planner is simple. I own it. It works (well enough). This sounds a bit like a support group for recovering planner users. I think I need Jim to come over an show me how to sharpen my blades :-)
  8. S

Spokeshave Suggestion ?

I also have the Veritas shaves; I really like their feel. I bet the Boggs / Lie Nielsen tools are super nice too. (I also had poor luck with cheap ones - I suspect it was poor technique + poor tool = bad results.)
  9. S

Free - Molding Heads Cutting Set

I also have a set - I used them a few times and I found them frightening. That's a lot of steel spinning at a very high speed coming up through a very wide hole in your throat plate. I parked them in the back of a drawer and I found other ways to do the job.
  10. S

Wood Identification Help

pine.
  11. S

Local hardwood

fyi. I have also heard nothing but good things about steve wall lumber...
  12. S

Local hardwood

I typically use Capitol City - I like to browse the stacks and look for the "perfect" boards. I am currently building a jewelry box using some beautifully figured wide plank cherry that I picked up there a few years ago on sale.
  13. S

Stanley #45 versus Stanley #55

Well, shinier at least. I have two 45's that I picked up for $75 or so (each) with complete sets of cutters. The Veritas sells for $400 and comes with one cutter. Andrew
  14. S

next project (updated)

Re: next project I bet your shop smells great!
  15. S

Delta Unisaw

can you please post in plain text? docx posts are never a good idea.
  16. S

Hand saw sharpening

And just think how cool you will look wearing this around the shop:
  17. S

I've got the Maple Top (2,25 x 28" x 64" - Now what!?

Making the top flush makes the vise and extension of the table and will support things that overhang the front edge. Making the back jaw flush with the front makes the entire front edge of the top an extension to the vise jaw and provides a longer gripping surface. And it looks cool with...
  18. S

I've got the Maple Top (2,25 x 28" x 64" - Now what!?

Nice score. This look a lot like a workbench / top I got 25+ years ago from a western electric used furniture sale. The top is easy enough to flatten with hand planes (really - I've done it). I would suspect that the lamination's might also have threaded steel rod holding them together...
  19. S

New Pittsboro Gal here. Hello

Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start.
  20. S

Glass for Desktop

they cut it - then temper it... Andrew

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS