Search results

1. T

Pre air conditoning workshops?

Having a great appreciation for old architecture (and old anything else), I know that before air conditioning, the geographical/topographical placement of buildings held a very important roll in the heating/cooling of a building. As well as strategic placement of windows and and Doors (tall...
  2. T

Making the Spring pole lathe

I'm well on my way to making a apring pole lathe. I am using the dimensions and such from Roy Underhill's "The woodwrights guid" there are a few dimensions missing though. The three that I have not figured out are these. on the "right hand puppet" (or left depending on your dominant hand) the...
  3. T

Argh! Humid Workshop!

Yep! That's about it. So there are two things I forgot to mention. First is that the front side was resided by my uncle some year's ago with plywood boards(not my favorite,but it works) so when I get around to replacing that (sooner than later) I'll throw in insulation and such. I will of course...
  4. T

Writing desk wood?

good point on the pores. I also wonder if there might be a trick to which way to align the grain that might work best. Additionally, lets think on how the wood might wear in the next 20 years, will the rings cause problems latter on if the softer wood wears out between them?
  5. T

Argh! Humid Workshop!

My shop is very small, smaller still when so much stuff is stored in it, but I plan to move a lot of the non-woodworking stuff out of there as soon as I find/make places for them elsewhere. So my dimensions are as follows. 11 ft. 3in. by 10 ft. The roof is a single slope front to back. so the...
  6. T

That guy that asks a lot of questions.

Hello all, I'm The_Mad_Woodworker. I'm sure to ask a lot of questions, count on it. In short, I'm 25, in college, an eagle scout, grew up in the country next to a horse farm, and my earliest memories of TV are episodes of the woodwrights shop. So as you may have guessed, I aim for hand tools...
  7. T

Writing desk wood?

Thank you all for your reply's and support. I really like getting constructive and creative feedback/ideas, so I'll further the forum with this additional information. My plan is to repourpose an old pedal powered sewing machine (Using the cast Iron legs and removing the actual sewing machine)...
  8. T

Writing desk wood?

Simple questions, what are the best species of wood to make a writing desk? (I'm guessing a hardwood)
  9. T

Argh! Humid Workshop!

Here is my dilemma. I am usings an old workshop, small, tin roof, about 50 years old. Here's the good news. All of the boards are tongue and groove, all of the posts are rough 8-10 in. diameter aromatic ceder, and 99% of the wood is all in good shape (no checking, rotting or warping). Here's the...
  10. T

Is this birch good for lumber?

good to know, fortunately, I live in the woods. I'll double check my largest Birch, but I suspect that it will be as you have said, too small. Here's hoping.
  11. T

Prevent wood Checking

As I understand it there is a substance that you can apply to the end of freshly lumbered/sawed wood to prevent checking as it cures. Being new to this, and a poor college student, I am curious about two things. A) what is the function of this substance (and for that mater what is it) and can...
  12. T

Is this birch good for lumber?

I have a number of trees of my property that I hope to one day timber into useful wood. For right now I am interested in birch. Previously I have felled and attempted to lumber (by hand) one of my medium sized (aprox. 7-8 inch Diameter) birches only to find that it had more knots in it than my...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors