Search results

1. B

When is enough ... enough

Rene Geraurd (sp) memetic theory...if memory serves explains some of this. An example;guy builds his own shop,big shop.He does it all,concrete masonry,wood.He uses it for a long fruitful career.To some,it may be an object of desire?The builder,however see's it as a means to an end? With...
  2. B

Panel Saw / Panel cutter

Maybe so...but intellectual property only goes so far.To wit,I have been warned...by folks way smarter than either of us,to shut the **** up. It's not offensive...it's I just don't understand?
  3. B

Panel Saw / Panel cutter

Yeah Chris. It's little pe-ons that make the world go 'round.My phd wife says one thing,two of my four boys, phd's as well,say something else.The funny part is the other two are in fact,as proven by testing...smarter than that. So you are what?A very minor inconvenience in the bigger...
  4. B

This arrived today!

On their own,an air scrubber will take time but... You can save a bunch of effort by having a positive flow workspace.Translated,by having another fan moving air,"through" the work station,putting you in a predictable airflow(shoot for 1-2 mph)...you're always in clean air.Just sayin,it's...
  5. B

Panel Saw / Panel cutter

Well then Chris,it doesn't exist... I don't have pics of my four boys birth's.Reckon they don't exist either?Never have understood that logic...just sayin.
  6. B

Craftsman Shaper

Thank you,thank you . Took 23 minutes to detail top.Another 20 or so to reverse the top.And another...20 to engineer/build/match paint the fence system. Missing...need to make two custom shoulder bolts for fence.The DC "pickup" is going to be easy peasy.Going to think about the new roller...
  7. B

Panel Saw / Panel cutter

Still using a drafting machine here.Like many projects,drafting with machine,pencil,and paper lets me fully understand the importance of every line,and it's place. Our panel saw was designed with that in mind.To that point,we were determined to make it effectively use NO floor space,but crack...
  8. B

Fireplace is in fact just space. My point is,more often than you'd think,space itself is more valuable than the stuff in it.If you're engaged in making something,generally an assembly area pays it's way.Spray booths,and loading docks fit this as well. If someone is a hoarder....fine with me.We...
  9. B

That space is about a 1/3rd of what we have here.Yet,he has about twice the "stuff". If we needed more space....uhh,we'd build it,doh.It reminds me of mr Pence.If he'd taken the initiative,fabrication would have been a "better" direction than theory..just sayin. Changing lanes for a second,do...
  10. B

Panel Saw / Panel cutter

We went 30 + years before going "vert" on panel cutting. Can categorically say,cutting sheet products any other way is beyond stupid.Ours is custom made to not only utilize "wasted" space..but goes further,and protects exactly what concerns the idea(vert saw dust),had from the get-go. I'd...
  11. B

Wood screw threads

We have metric threading lathe if you need it.Interestingly,friend of mine threw a cpl pcs of Russian Birch in our truck the other day...which sort of promted the reply. Anyway,to thread wood without a lathe;You simply need a section or length of threaded steel that has the right...
  12. B

Craftsman Shaper

We have one,it's our smallest shaper.Keep a beading cutter in it.There's also a small round over on the same head.Works great. It's an interesting setup,albeit backwards.The whole top can be lifted off...turned 180*.Makes the footprint NOTICEABLY smaller.The only reason we could figure for it's...
  13. B

Ridgid 14" Band saw repair

Just to be clear... Both,the shaft and nut are to be reused? Look at the nut for some very slight depressions.Sometimes manufacturing dictates that nuts need to be mechanically fastened.Old school was by "staking" a series of punch marks locking the nut/bolt threads together.That's...
  14. B

This arrived today!

Congrats,am sure you'll get lots of good work out of it. We have one,in fact the purchase was a heads up from this forum.It's interesting because,even though we build DC systems to include all sheet metal work(we even make our own fittings),yadayada...the one of VERY few pcs not connected to...
  15. B

Have anyone of you made an enclosed spray booth in your wows shop?

You know the term,"jumping in the deep end of the pool"?You passed that and are cliff diving,joking. First,get on top of the general air quality in your shop.Can't be making wise finishing decisions and fine tuning gun adjustments if you're hocking up a lung because of dust.Really try to get...
  16. B

bonus - automatic tenons

It's done very frequently,by some shops.... It's the 'ole,if you are a hammer,everything looks like a nail syndrome.There are a lot of millshops that only see projects/jobs as a "cutting away" process.They're not equipped for large scale glue ups. We had to solve problems on the fly in...
  17. B

Why is it?

Ehpoole,fresh chicken....you know,go grab one and chop it's bloom'n head off fresh... Is something pretty special.Cooked in an original C.I. skillet (my fav has been in constant use for over 100 years),preferably over an open hearth/fire is as close to 5 star dining as you can get without a...
  18. B

Craftsman vs Professional

I "think" it can be answered or explained.Been at it 45 years,born into the biz through way to many generations.Original Moravians(Old Salem) on one side and equally deep on the other side of our family tree. But,to get on with the equation,you would have to define WW'r.I always felt like if...
  19. B

Why is it?

When meeting folks,the subject of employment comes up...I quickly change the subject.Could try explaining for 30 minutes and they still wouldn't get it,or have some preconceptions.So,don't go there anymore.
  20. B

Attaching a jointer bed to a base

Something that small,get some muscle(friends). But a way more esoteric answer,...google "bakers" scaffold. They work great as scaffolds,doh.But the reason they are called bakery is it resembles their rack system.So,after you've used it with a cpl timbers on top as a shop gantry,they make...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS