Search results

1. D

Where to find reclaimed barnwood

Awesome source! My sister helped start that company, very nice people there, Jim Shepard is the head hauncho there and an incredibly nice person. They have a very impressive warehouse full of all species, hard and soft woods as well as walnut and cherry live edge slabs. A lot of the wood has an...
  2. D

Newbie welding

I work at a welding shop in Wilmington and we do mostly sculptural wall art, as well as custom railings, gates, furniture etc. Pretty much anything that needs to be welded and looks pretty, like not a bridge. TIG will give you the most penetration and control of your heat but is incredibly hard...
  3. D

Yellow Pine, spalted poplar, cypress and white oak

I would love to maybe get my hands on a ~3' wide slab, 8/4 (12/4 preferably) by ~8'. What sort of bf price would that be? PM me if you need
  4. D

Yellow Pine, spalted poplar, cypress and white oak

I might be interested in the pine live edge slabs, what's a ballpark price?
  5. D

Mortise/Tenons

What about floating tenons? I've used those in the past and have had success, also you have a little bit of play while fitting the two together
  6. D

Furniture building reality TV show "Framework" premieres Jan 6

I watched the framework show, and I agree with all points, too much drama, and they don't really show the pieces for more than a second. Also they don't really show much of the process, they just show people scrtatching their heads or something falling apart. As a welder and woodworker I was...
  7. D

Reclaimed wood

Check out Revient located in Wilkesboro. I have gotten tons of material from them. Very friendly and knowledgeable. They have one of the most impressive warehouses full floor to ceiling with reclaimed hand hewn, circle sawn and other textures of wood. http://revientllc.com/
  8. D

White Cedar

Hello and welcome! I have a benchtop lathe I'm trying to sell. I don't have a picture of mine, but here a stock image of the exact one I have...
  9. D

Call for entries at the Cameron Art museum

I just saw this for the Cameron Art Museum in Wilmington. No entry fee, not even juried I don't think, the only rejections would be based on size, weight, etc. Great opportunity to show work! The video says last year they had over 1600 entries or something crazy like that...
  10. D

How would you build this?

Kevin, instead of stacking them like that with 11 sheets (holy cow $$) why build it out of flat stock with very bulky corners to then shape down? For example, the top would be a piece 5'x16'' or whatever, the sides 2'x16" and with big laminated blocks for the corners. Use rabitts (sp?) and such...
  11. D

putting spar varnish on top of urethane varnish?

If I stained, then put 3 coats of a urethane varnish on, can I come and put a spar varnish on top of that for extra protection? the urethane varnish isn't rated for outdoors so I want to really seal it in with the spar varnish. The urethane varnish I put on is the bottom can, the spar varnish...
  12. D

New website, check it out

Thanks for the feedback! I went back and changed the spelling corrections. vtxmanmike, click on the three little lines under my name and all that and he menu will pop up
  13. D

If Not Mid-Century Modern...

Until I read the comments I thought it was a real image and not sketchup. Fooled me. As far as the design, I like it, but the brass seems a little loud. I do like the little curve of the shelves however.
  14. D

New website, check it out

While trying to email some images for a job interview, I figured it was easier to just make a quick tumblr page instead of resizing and picking through what images to use. Also, I've never posted images to NCWW, even thought I've been a member for quite some years, always meant too... so here...
  15. D

Bowl lathe build?

Re: Bowl late build? Mike, you can so a large segmented turning (see above tractor)
  16. D

Bowl lathe build?

Re: Bowl late build? I'll take some and post as soon as I can! With unfortunate circumstances my lathe and all my tools are in storage a few hours from where I'm living now. Looking at Hank's post, I realize many things I would have done different.
  17. D

Bowl lathe build?

Re: Bowl late build? I built one a few years ago, unfortunately I don't have any pictures. I came across some pillow block bearings and a 7/8 shaft in a dumpster and got the idea. First I spun (I think the correct terminology for metal) threads on the shaft for a faceplate I had. I then...
  18. D

How does a young guy afford this hobby? Or even get interested in it?

Dave, I'm 23 and a recent graduate from ECU with a BFA concentrating in wood design. It's not often I run across people my age with similar woodworking interests. I recently signed up for instagram on my phone (only for woodworking, I hate social media) and realized there is a large young...
  19. D

Revient reclaimed wood in western NC

I'm not trying to spam a company, but rather gloat on it. Revient LLC is a newer company located in Wilkesboro NC with a HUGE selection of great reclaimed wood, much of it's from historical buildings from around the country, like the Thomas Edison workshop. I've personally been out there to the...
  20. D

Best source for stainless steel bottle stoppers?

Im interested for a dozen or so. Unfortunately I don't have a computer of my own, so I'm on the site very seldom. Hopefully I can check back in time to work out details! Dustin

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors