Search results

1. M

Toybox for Grandson's first birthday

Thanks to all. I can't take the credit for the checkerboard inlay, I saw an episode of New Yankee Workshop maybe 12 years ago and Norm's had the inlay in his project. His toy box was strictly utilitarian though, flat pine and MDF, and 1/2" top and bottom. I wanted to make sure this would last...
  2. M

Toybox for Grandson's first birthday

Pictures of the toybox before it gets stained and finished. The toybox is made out of the 3/4" Poplar, as are the raised panels, rails and stiles. The sides are joined with through dovetails. The embedded checker board is 3/4" walnut and maple squares, and the bottom of the box is 3/4" cabinet...
  3. M

New Bern Lunch

If I can get away from the office, I'll be there too. Never had a bad meal at Morgan's
  4. M

the holly grail of exterior wood finish

Well, now I'm the one who is confused. The first boat I built had a companionway door that I made out of mahogany. I finished it with four coats of thinned Spar. It was docked at the marina year round and it was exposed to the elements 24 / 7 / 365. I refinished it ever two to three years. I...
  5. M

Yes it was Watco (spelling corrector made the change), that is the reason for the test. I purchased Watco Teak finish. I expected to find teak oil in the can (I use it on the interior of my sailboat and did not want to drive to the marina to get some) to my surprise it was not teak oil it was as...
  6. M

All valid points, yes the test pieces were allowed to dry before they were crosscut to observe penetration. I figured that if I could not see penetration with normal magnification, I wasn't going to grab the microscope to get the absolute extent of penetration. Anyone can evaluate the results in...
  7. M

Sorry forgot about #9, I actually did it first. #9 - no visible penetration, easy to apply, no smell, Glossly, rough surface I used to use tung all the time while I was in PA, but could not find any locally so I used BLO for the testing. Good tip though.
  8. M

In the search for the holly grail of natural looking exterior wood finish. First, many will tell you that selecting ‘exterior’ wood and applying no finish at all is the way to go, it is the easiest way to go for sure. I’ve tried it with and without a finish; I enjoy the look, smell, and feel...
  9. M

Cedar vs. Cypress vs. Mahogany

I'm building some Adirondack chairs. I built the sample out of Cedar and got a lot of tear out where I drilled the screw holes close to the edge, I’m also concerned about strength long term. It looks and feels great though. I’m considering Cypress or Mahogany. I’ve worked with Mahogany before so...
  10. Adirondack chair sample

Adirondack chair sample

Chair with a simple oil finish
  11. M

Just makes you want to cry moment

I guess I did leave some things out. I never did build a secretary every again. I did build a number of pieces from the Cherry though. The reason that this popped into my mind was that when I finished building the chair and was testing it, the most important part of an Adirondack chair is how it...
  12. M

Just makes you want to cry moment

Thanks to everyone for saying hello. I was finishing my Adirondack chair sample this evening and it brought to mind one of the saddest times I had woodworking. I’m sure you all can identify with this. This took place about 25 years ago. My wife and I had just moved into our first house...
  13. M

Doing as I was told

Hi Jay, I'd be interested, what are you planning to cut? Is there a minimum I need to buy? What is the cost? I almost related my business to Washington when we moved south. I liked the area, great river front, the best shrimp and grits I have ever eaten was from a restaurant in downtown...
  14. M

Doing as I was told

So I was told to introduce myself and I always do what I'm told to do. Found this site while looking for wood. I have been designing and building wood furniture and specialty items for the past 35+ years. I had a farmer with a saw mill who cut and air dried all my wood while I was living in...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS