Search results

1. jcz

PE request from Apex to rocky mount

Anyone able to help out with a PE from @Melinapex in apex to anywhere near rocky mount? I’d be glad to offer some gas money for your troubles. It is a mobile base for a table saw so not a huge heavy part to move.
  2. jcz

Vise workshop show off

Had a great time at the workshop Saturday. I would like to show off the completed project. Well almost completed. I still need to plug the pin holes on the side. I hope all others that attended can also show their vise in action. Thank you goes out to Pop Pop, Mike, and Phil for putting it...
  3. jcz

making dowels

Anyone have a tried and true way of making their own dowels? I have a need for 5/16" dowels and watched a few utube videos but am skeptical as to what is the best way.
  4. jcz

Bandsaw fence

My jet 14” bandsaw didn’t come with any type of fence. Ive been using a router fence clamped to my bandsaw table but want something more solid and accurate. What suggestions do you have?
  5. jcz

Getting close

I posted a few months ago about breaking ground on a new shop. Well, they finally got it put together last month and I’ve moved in some of the junk that was collected in the garage. We can now park 2 cars in our garage again and I have plenty of space for the new shop tools. Next big step is to...
  6. jcz

New shop

My wife and I built our home 5 years years ago. I’ve been using the garage as my work shop. Well, won’t be long now and I’ll have a dedicated work shop for all my needs. I put some money down on a 24x45 with a lean to on the long side. It will be a metal building on concrete slab. Fully...
  7. jcz

Mahogany door finish

We changed out our painted front door and vinyl side windows for an all mahogany entrance into the house. One coat of stain has been applied to darken it up a bit. Now I need to apply a finish to it. I was originally thinking a few coats of spar would do the job but am wondering what you all...
  8. jcz

Recent turnings

Been on vacation and decided to get back on the lathe since I was just sitting around the house all week. Cocobola bowl I started a couple years ago. The wood was too wet to finish then. Sanded to 2000 grit and couple coats of BLO rubbed in. Cherry mallet with tung oil duck call with some...
  9. jcz

Cedar daybed

Here are a few pics of the day bed I have been working on the last week or so. I met up with Scott Smith a couple weeks ago and we processed the cedar boards to get them to the right dimensions. Got them all cut up and put together. Love the smell of cedar. Need to get the wife to order the...
  10. jcz

Cutting board question

I see most cutting board threads say they are made from end grain blocks. Is this a must? I mostly turn my projects but would like to give a cutting board a try.
  11. jcz

Desk pics as promised

Sorry it took so long to get decent pics of the desktop. I posted the work in progress pics a while back and just now have got the chance to take these. Moving into the new house has been keeping me very busy the past few weeks. Walnut with cherry and cypress inlays.
  12. jcz

Wildfowl whistles

I was asked to send in some of my duck calls for an upcoming article being put together on duck whistles. I got these turned out this past weekend. Just have to figure out which I want to send in.
  13. jcz

walnut desktop

Some of you may remember a few weeks ago FredP helped me get some walnut planks ready for a build. Well here is what I have been able to make from that stock. It is a desktop the is going under the staircase inside our new home. Walnut with cherry and cypress inlay. View image in gallery...
  14. jcz

Thank you FredP!!

I would like to send out a big THANK YOU to FredP!! He invited me to his shop and cut down and straightened all the walnut planks I plan to use for my new desktop. Now I just hope I can put it all together and make it look as good as it does in my mind. (that could be dangerous) If I can...
  15. jcz

Planner help

I am in need of a planner. I do not usually do flat wood work. I mostly turn my projects round. I have some walnut I want to use to make a desktop for our new house. I was originally thinking I could laminate the pieces together and use my sander to smooth the surfaces out. After spending some...
  16. jcz

stair planks?

Guys I have not been very active here as of late. Life in general has gotten ahold of all my shop time. I have not had much of a chance to do anything wood related in a few months. I have checked in here from time to time to drool over some of the beautiful pieces you guys are working on. A...
  17. jcz

Some of my latest turnings.

Here are a few duck calls I finished up this weekend. From left to right. African blackwood and cocobola, ABW and kingwood, ABW and hedge, hegde and cherry burl. All finished with CA
  18. jcz

Hunting knife

View image in gallery Here is a knife I made myself. Its is a damacus blade with african blackwood handle and mosaic pins. The pics dont show the true beauty of the knife. View image in gallery
  19. jcz

Got a little turning in this weekend

Here is a african blackwood duck and goose call I finished up over the weekend. The duck call is my normal shape and design but the goose flute is the first one Ive done. Drilling the exhaust out was a chore. It finished up nicely though. View image in gallery
  20. jcz

Router bits?

I have never had a router and only used a borrowed one a couple times. Im going to have to learn the ins and outs by trial and error. Now to get started I need to get some bits. I am looking into getting this set from MLCS...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS