Search results

1. K

HVLP suggestions for painting projects

Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered the 2.0mm tip and already have some denatured alcohol. So I will be giving it another go in probably the next week or so. I've read that if you have good tap water, then no need for distilled, but I'm still very new at all of this.
  2. K

HVLP suggestions for painting projects

So talked the wife into letting me get an hvlp. I got the fuji semi-pro2 which comes with a 1.3mm needle and added the 1.5mm needle. First question isn't quite woodworking, but I have to paint some ikea furniture (dresser & chest of drawers) that isn't assembled yet. I'm a little limited on...
  3. K

So I'm trying to be a good son.....

Nice! I've never been so lucky at an antique shop. Everytime I see a plane, looks like someone drug it behind their car on a cross country trip...
  4. K

Wooden pocketknives for cub scout training

Cool. I was a scoutmaster a few years back. Some of the kids were awesome, and some of them I wouldn't trust with a sharp spoon. lol...
  5. K

Wooden pocketknives for cub scout training

Have you looked at the requirements for a scout to earn their "totin' chip" . It is required for any scout to use a knife, axe, or saw. It is fairly decent at teaching basic safety.
  6. K

Low Angle Block Plane video

Good video... Did anyone else think it was funny when he talked about the veritas apron plane vs the lie nielsen block plane... Thought I was watching a commercial for a minute.
  7. K

Sears table saw prices very low

Just to throw another option out there. I got my ridgid r4512 for $330 from the direct tools factory outlet in Mebane. It was a "factory blemished". The only thing that I found wrong was one of the orange side panels had some powdercoating caked up in one of the screw holes. Cleaned it with...
  8. K

New Delta Contractor's Saw

Not a bad deal since it includes the t2 fence. I don't know that I like those tubular legs though. Seems like they would not work well for those of us with slightly uneven garage floors. http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/table-saws/item/36-725-2
  9. K

Humidity and Rust - at work right now.

Absolutely. I was running the dehumidifier before I insulated my garage. Humidity was often > 60% in my garage in the summer. Dehumidifier can knock it down to < 40%. The humidifier was extracting about 2 gallons of water a day. In the cold months, it hardly ever runs because humidity is...
  10. K

Humidity and Rust - at work right now.

I run a dehumidifier in my insulated unconditioned garage. Keeps the humidity in a decent range. You'd be amazed how much it pulls out of the air after a rain. Just curious though, has anyone tried those tool covers/blankets that are supposed to prevent rust? I think that htc sells some.
  11. K

Spalted Maple Live Edge Dining Table

Beautiful work.
  12. K

Suggestions to protect shed flooring

Thanks for the pointers. My main concern was making sure that the flooring lasted and didn't get destroyed over the years. I was impressed at how well the advantech handled moisture during construction. I did the framing for the shed the week of the 4th when we got torrential downpours every...
  13. K

Suggestions to protect shed flooring

I have a shed that is doubling as a small workspace and potting area. The subfloor is 3/4" T&G advantech. I would like to put something over it to help protect it. I was thinking about just getting some 4/8 sheets of hardboard, or some foam underlayment and vinyl flooring. Anyone gone down...
  14. K

Roof question on my DIY shed build

My schedule got hijacked, so I'm still working on the shed roof. I got the underlayment done and need to do the fascia and drip edge. Still need to source the metal roofing. Anyone have any recommendations for a local metal roofing supplier. I was looking at www.triadmetalroof.com .
  15. K

Thanks for the feedback! I'm curious about something though. The OSB calls for a fastener every 6 inches on the edge and every 12 inches in the field. With all of those fasteners, I don't see how it really has enough give to expand/contract much.
  16. K

I'm currently building a garden shed and I'm about to start the underlayment on the roof. I just realized that when we installed the 7/16" OSB on the roof, that we didn't do the 1/8" spacing between sheets. This is an 8x12 shed with a lean-to style roof. Roof dimensions are roughly 10' x...
  17. K

Lumber run shop crawl cake walk demo slither?

Thanks for the cupcakes and shop tour!
  18. K

Another lumber run? Mahongany

What are the widths on the mahogany? I'd like 75bf. Tavaris
  19. K

shop heater

I use this little guy in my 400sq ft garage. It is enough to take the chill out of the air so that I'm comfortable enough to work. However my garage is insulated...
  20. K

Workshop Organizing

My "shop" is a small 2 car garage. Best advice that I can give would be to make use of all of your available wall space. A few sheets of plywood can make quite a few wall hung cabinets. Pegboard is cheap and very handy for smaller/lighter items. Most importantly though is to do as the others...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors