Search results

1. smallboat

Mortise chisel vs. Mortise machine vs. Mortise adpter for drill press

I don’t do serious furniture so my mortises are few and far between. When I do need them I enjoy the mortise chisel. Paul Sellers has a good video on a technique that has served me well. If I had to do a bunch I’d probably invest in a machine but for occasional, no time pressure stuff, hand...
  2. smallboat

Finishing suggestions for SYP porch ceiling?

I’ve been surprisingly pleased with Total Boat Halcyon Water based varnish. I’ve used the amber which is tinted to resemble oil based varnishes. But other water based clear varnishes I’ve used are very clear. I would expect the clear satin would be a good choice for your ceiling. Halcyon...
  3. smallboat

Cherry bowl

I tried something new this time. I didn’t want epoxy or CA fillers for a variety of reasons. So I injected paraffin wax into the voids to create a continuous volume to turn. I don’t know if it did anything to structurally bind things together, but it made cutting across the big voids smoother...
  4. smallboat

Cherry bowl

Thanks. Either you or Chris G gave me the guidance to establish the rim before removing the bulk of the interior and then leave it. That kept ringing in my ears as I wasn’t sure how stable this would be when I got serious about the excavation. It all worked out. finishing was tricky. as I...
  5. smallboat

Cherry bowl

I’m leaving them. even worm eaten cherry is more interesting than epoxy. unless we’re talking boats
  6. smallboat

Cherry bowl

I’ve been off of the lathe for a bit and needed to get back in the swing. Pretty pleased with this little bowl. not quite finished with the finish and have to remove the tenon.
  7. smallboat

Shop Fox vises on sale at Grizzly <$50

you got my attention with that, but when I clicked the link the sale price shows $79 and change. wondering what the difference is
  8. smallboat

Wood for swing set

It’s time to build a swing set for the grand kids. I’m looking to the collective wisdom of NCWW to help me with material choice. The one I built a generation ago is still going strong at my place, it was all built from PT SYP in ‘91. I’m not current on how treated lumber today may differ...
  9. smallboat

Angle Grinder chain disc video

years back (early 90’s) I toured the Dr Graybo pipe factory in Sparta. Highlight of the tour was a room with a device that incorporated a steel master form for the pipe bowl shape and a sort of 3d follower set up with a grinder similar to this on the other end. They would mount a burl and...
  10. smallboat

FWW comment

Back in the day I had a negative opinion of Wooden Boat magazine. My opinion as a wise old 20 something was that it presented “boats as jewelry”; whereas I appreciated boats for their utility. Time has passed and I find I enjoy picking up an issue now and then. Will I ever subscribe, highly...
  11. smallboat

FWW comment

Let’s not lose sight of new comers who didn’t see that article 10 years ago. They might be left wondering why FWW never covers the topic.
  12. smallboat

Just for Hank

Looks like I’ll be saving it. The sides are 1/2” and the fronts 3/4”
  13. smallboat

Just for Hank

Hitch - thanks for the prompt! somehow skipped that part
  14. smallboat

Just for Hank

15. smallboat

Just for Hank

The drawer bottoms are 1/4” ply. I just like the look of this wood. The dresser is from no later that the ‘60’s as it has the family name and the town in AL we lived from 1950 to 1960. The draw fronts appear to be the same wood as the sides and backs just thicker stock and veneered inside and...
  16. smallboat

Just for Hank

Cleaning out the old home place there’s a dresser destined for the dump. It’s painted over but the drawer backs and sides appeal to the scrounger in me. Drawer fronts appear different with veneer fronts. I’m considering rescuing the drawers to repurpose the sides and backs What might this...
  17. smallboat

Cleaning Up Wood Glue In Bathroom Sink

No help here, but this reminds me of when I was teaching and had a big “No Epoxy in Sink” sign over the sink. Kids’ll do the darndest things. Of course that didn’t keep one enterprising student from pouring plaster down the sink. Which makes me think of the time my daughter had a sleepover and...
  18. smallboat

work in progress, 1/6th 1890's navy steam launch built to navy plans

Thanks for share all the detailed WIP posts. For your tapered stock prep, is the TS blade tilted too? looking at the 2nd photo it looks like it might be. Makes sense since you’re wrapping around a cone.
  19. smallboat

Woodworking and Pesticides

My uncle Keven was a contact pesticide. If we pestered him, he’d “contact” you. (sorry, I know it was a simple typo but the image was too hard to let go by)
  20. smallboat

Good YouTubers to follow?

The Tally Ho videos from Sampson Boat Co. I first learned about them here, and they have become my go to for seeing someone doing things right. The current crew* are top notch at what they do and the way they work together on a complex large scale project is worth the watch by itself. If you...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors