Search results

1. W

Close Call for the shop

Last night I woke up standing next to the bed wondering what had exploded in the back yard. There had been a bright flash of light and similtaneous shot like a rifle only louder. This morning I walked out to see if there had been any damage and there was a 6' X 2" by 2" piece of oak stripped...
  2. W

cedar or cypress needed

LOML has decided that she would like the easy to build glider featured in the latest Wood magazine. It calls for about 60 bd ft of cedar but cypress would also work well. I can live with some tight knots. Does any anyone have a stash and if so can you PM me with pricing information. Near...
  3. W

Start of a cyclone build

Last Saturday I picked up a load of scrap someone had left in the woods behind our house (car hood, old stove, other scrap iron). I had today off for President’s day so I hauled it out to C & C Metals in Marshfield and traded it for a 4 X 8 sheet of 22 gage steel. While I was there I also picked...
  4. W

Poppy Table all done except ...

The table is now all done except the top coat. Here are a few of the final steps. With the spider dovetails dry fit to the legs the lower shelf is attached with five cleats and screws. The advantage of this approach is that there is no plug showing on the front of the legs. Using a half inch...
  5. W

Poppy Table Part 3

Not so many pictures this time. After cutting out the top I spent some time with rasps and files cleaning up the edges. Ed, I wimped out about carving the self and top. Instead I got a 1/8 In radius veining bit for my router and outlined the poppies freehand with the router. It is not carved...
  6. W

Poppy Table Part 2

Poppy Table Part 2 A couple of nights in the shop and I took LOML to the airport so I got several hours working on this project today. Started out making a template for the shape of the legs. I drilled two holes where there pattern has a very tight radius. Now cut just outside the line at the...
  7. W

Building a Poppy Table - Part 1.

I decided to try a skill building project and ordered a set of project plans from this site: http://www.shopwoodworking.com/product/download-project-stickley-poppy-table/ The finished table should look like this: As you can see the table does not have any apron. The top is connected to...
  8. W

Glass for Picture Frames near Charlotte

I had three pictures enlarged for the LOML for Christmas and made frames for them. I would like get some non-reflective glass for them (16" X 24"). I went to an art supply/frame shop to get some and they wanted an arm and a leg for the glass.:nah: Can anyone suggest a good source for...
  9. W

About Me

By way of introduction I will say a little about myself. I am on a glide path to retirement and working from home (desk job). Moved back to the Charlotte area in 2009 and built a separate workshop at my new home (still have some work to do to complete it). I look forward to having more time to...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors