Search results

1. CDPeters

DW735 Planer question

OK guys & gals, I just got a Dewalt DW735 from my Dad who is downsizing and moving to a retirement community (which has a fully equipped community shop). This will replace my Delta lunchbox. Question: I seem to recall seeing somewhere NOT to attach the exhaust port directly to a high volume...
  2. CDPeters

Gerstner 2610 Reproduction - Finish opinions

Hopefully, you've seen my posts on the reproduction Gerstner 2610 tool chest project I'm working on. Today, I did a test block of my 3 final choices for the base finish: On the left, Golden Pecan stain In the center, Early American stain On the right, Watco Clear Danish Oil I'm leaning to...
  3. CDPeters

Gerstner 2610 Reproduction - Part II - Caution Photo Intensive!

OK, so first, apologies as it's been since the end of August since my last post on this project. Suffice it to say that progress has been slow and piece-miel! When last we checked - the carcase had been dry fit and ready to glue up. So here is the carcase all glued up: Next, I attacked the...
  4. CDPeters

Project WIP - Knockoff Gerstner 2610 chest - Part I

Some of you may recall that I said in a recent post reply that my current project is a knock-off of a Gerstner 2610 machinist's chest. Well, I finally found the "round-tuit" and got some work accomplished on it. I started a few months ago by designing the chest in Sketchup, reverse engineering...
  5. CDPeters

Double stick tape - what do you use?

OK, so I finally ran out of double-stick tape that I use for temporary attachment of router templates and such. The product I had before was much the same thickness-wise as duck tape and had just the right amount of grip. Unfortunately, I pitched the inner roll cardboard, so I don't know what...
  6. CDPeters

Basswood as secondary?

Hey Folks, I'm getting ready to start on my Gerstner model 2610 knockoff machinist cabinet and had a question on secondary wood. I plan to use QS Red Oak for the main wood - cabinet sides, top, drawer fronts etc. and some cutoffs of maple I have laying around for the drawer runners. I'm...
  7. CDPeters

Anyone worked with Ailanthus (Tree of Heaven)?

Yes, that nasty invasive, fast-growing, nasty-smelling Tree of Heaven! The LOML and I are taking Virginia's Master Naturalist course and our presentation last night was by Harvey Darden, the Director of State Lands for the VA Dept of Forestry. In talking about invasives, he mentioned that...
  8. CDPeters

"Hardboard" question

OK, so I have a question about "hardboard" referred to here on NCWW and on WW shows on TV - often used for templates, jigs and sometimes drawer bottoms. Usually when I see the term hardboard applied, the material referred to is a light brown in color. The big boxes have what they call...
  9. CDPeters

Need some plane ID help

Hey guys, I had a visit from my Uncle Dave this past weekend, and he dropped off some more old tools for my growing collection. Among them was the plane shown below. I hadn't seen anything like this before and searched and searched on Google trying to figure out what it is, and finally...
  10. CDPeters

Recent projects

OK folks - here's are some of the projects from the last few months: Video storage cabinet for my oldest son. QSRO, spalted Maple, Poplar - all from SRHardwoods. Finished with 1 coat Danish Oil and 2 coats blond shellac, rubbed out for a satin-ish finish. This one is a quick throw-together...
  11. CDPeters

Back from Sabbatical

Well, not really. But I am back from some very hectic many months. I was over to see Chris (srhardwoods) for some Christmas project lumber several weeks ago and got to thinking how much I miss all my NCWW friends! Anyway, I'm back reading the boards again and I will make some effort to be...
  12. CDPeters

GWL Passed on

The Good Will Lathe has passed on to it's new victim custodian :rotflm: Had a nice visit with Rich (eastern_shore) last evening on the end of a long road trip from Kentucky. Sorry, we got so engrossed in shop talk and loading we both forgot the pictures... maybe Rich can take a few to post at...
  13. CDPeters

Good Will Lathe tool chest completed

Well folks, I finally finished sanding and applying 2 coats of shellac to the Good Will Lathe tool chest. Here is an update with the finished product: All ready to go when Rich - eastern_shore - gets back from Texas! This was fun, I think I might have to build one of...
  14. CDPeters

GWL Tool Chest

Well, a little late but I'm close to finishing the tool chest for the Good Will Lathe before it moves to it's next home with Rich - eastern_shore. I still need to hinge the top, make handles and put a couple of coats of finish on it. Except for the birch ply, all of the materials - ambrosia...
  15. CDPeters

Scrollsaw Workshop - Jan 21

I want to say a huge THANK YOU to ScottM for hosting and teaching the scrollsaw workshop today at his shop, to Scott's better half for keeping us in coffee and snacks and to b4man for coming out to coach. It was a great day and great to meet more fellow NCWWers. All in all a great day of...
  16. CDPeters

Door question

So I have a door question for you GC types out there - but you have to suffer through some backstory first :gar-Bi. First I realize that code in NC and VA may be different, and may be different from locality to locality, but this is more of a feasibility question... LOML wants to remodel the...
  17. CDPeters

Crack at Segmented Turning - Part 3

OK - here's where the rubber hits the road. Here's the base and ring 1, rough turned and trued, waiting for rings 2 and 3: View image in gallery Ring 3 glued on (missed getting a picture of ring 2, the walnut, glued up): View image in gallery And off we go spinning. I will tell you I...
  18. CDPeters

Crack at Segmented Turning - Part 2

In part 1, I cooked up a segmenting sled for the tablesaw. In this part, we learned ALOT about gluing up the rings. My apologies if some pictures seem missing, but I kinda got engrossed and forgot about the camera :embaresse. I decided to make the base from some curly cherry, segmented. So...
  19. CDPeters

Crack at Segmented Turning - Part 1

OK guys and gals, so the goal of this evolution is to try segmented turning. Phase 1: Make a segment sled for the TS. After studying gallery pictures from Joe Scharle and Earl, I set out to build the beast: Step 1 - glue runners to a piece of 1/2" oak ply. I squared up the ply and used the...
  20. CDPeters

GWL Update - Week 1 and 2 (Pic heavy!)

Well, I told Scott I intended to try to post weekly updates with what I was doing and how I was coming along with the GWL and what with the holidays and what-not, I've already missed the first one :cool:. So here ya go - an update. As you may recall, the transfer was made on Dec 15th at...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS