Search results

1. J

HF Gems?

There are quite a number of great products to be found at HF. 6" digital micrometer. I love the metric to fractional to decimal conversion. Only lasts about a year of my use, but at $10 I can replace it. I keep a spare. Their HVLP spray guns (1.2 to 1.4mm nozzle models) work beautifully. I...
  2. J

New to me the best wood scraper in the world

Wayne Henderson (master guitar maker, Rugby Virginia) mentions sitting in the floor and scraping down his guitar sides with a piece of glass when he was young. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZSb5_5eX3k
  3. J

Bass Build Trussrod Cover

I think it looks great and fits the lines of the instrument perfectly. Well done!
  4. J

Just entered the digital age

Mike, Sorry to hear you got a dud, but don't give up just yet. I have an analog dial-gauge Starrett and a digital 6" job that I bought at Harbor Freight for around $10 when it went on sale. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I reach for the digital HF tool most of the time but it's 1) accurate and...
  5. J

Dreadnaught guitar build

Hi Brian. Good question! I'm fairly new to acoustic building I suppose but in thinking about it, it's part of a natural progression and in retrospect seems somewhat inevitable that I would end up here. I've been playing since I was a kid (so 30 years on?) and repairing instruments for the past...
  6. J

Dreadnaught guitar build

Jump in and give it a try. Get the Cumpiano & Natelson book, "Guitarmaking, traditions and technology" as a starting point. There are dozens of other books on the market and each have their own techniques, approaches & tips, but nothing is as comprehensive and clear as C&N. (edit: added the...
  7. J

Dreadnaught guitar build

Thanks for the kind words. :) Yes, shop built. But don't be fooled -- it's not as sophisticated as you might think. It's basically just a big 3/4" plywood jig for holding the interchangeable side molds and a couple clamps pulled by springs, and the veneer press screw at the top which is used to...
  8. J

Dreadnaught guitar build

Just shy of 1/8", knowing some more will get scraped away during finishing. I'd like for it to settle in closer to 3/32 in the end.
  9. J

A few pics from friends old house...

>>Even the curved baseboard is dovetailed; :swoon: I can't even recall the last time I saw quality carpentry like that, It's a showcase of talent. Thank you for sharing, and I hope things are well for your friend.
  10. J

My friends archway

Stunning bit of work! I can't even imagine where I'd begin on a project like that. Wow...
  11. J

Dreadnaught guitar build

Thought I'd share my latest project w/you folks -- a six-string Dreadnought-sized acoustic guitar of my own "square shoulder" pattern. I play mostly bluegrass and country/western with a bit of fingerstyle so this guitar tries to strike a balance of both via a few modifications to the bracing...
  12. sides on top

sides on top

jont guitarmaking lutherie
  13. routing the soundhole

routing the soundhole

14. sides bent

sides bent

15. fingerboard blank test-fit on neck+body

fingerboard blank test-fit on neck+body