Search results

1. J

Lathe Rebuild

Just want to make sure you realize that currently with 2:5 pulley you are running the spindle at only 1380 max rpm using a 3450 motor. You will be speeding the max spindle speed using 3:4.5 pulley ratio to as you said to approx 2607 rpm. Larger motor pulley = faster spindle speed. Smaller...
  2. J

Router plane suggestions?

Nothing I can't live with. Top of casting is a bit rough. Edges of the base needed to be softened with a file. I refinished and waxed the handles (like I do for all my vintage refurbs). Otherwise it functions just as well. Resale value is not like the Lie Nielsen but I wanted a user. If I would...
  3. J

Router plane suggestions?

I was also looking for a vintage router plane. Saw Rob Cosman's video comparing the two above and ended up getting the Bench Dog just because of the cost difference.
  4. J

Bosch Colt New Plunge Base Review

Yes it is the DeWalt DWP611PK.
  5. J

Bosch Colt New Plunge Base Review

There is a review and comparison of many of these small router combos in the Wood magazine I just got in the mail this week. They rated the DeWalt kit higher.
  6. J

2012 Triangle Shop Crawl Sign up

I plan on being there.
  7. J

Steam My Log(s)?

You have not seen walnut until you see unsteamed (unsoaked) walnut that has been properly air dried. John
  8. J

Ridgid OSS

Went today. None in stock :(
  9. J

Which chuck?

I personally own 7 chucks. I have a Vicmarc VM120 (its a hoss) which I love. I also own a SuperNova 2 and Midi chucks from Teknatool which are also very good. I have a Grizzly 4 jaw wood chuck H6267 which is a very good buy after cleaning it up from all the metal shavings left in manufacture and...
  10. J

SuperNova Chuck $139

Thats about the going rate on sale. I got one from Craft Supply earlier this year for $138 with a free insert and free shipping. John
  11. J

Pen Blank Size ?

It depends on the shape of the pen. If you keep it straight along the line of the bushing all you need is just a little more than the bushing. If you add a "belly" to the pen of course you need thicker stock. BTW as long as yours blanks are straight the easiest way to drill them is on the lathe...
  12. J

Klingspor's, who is going?

I'm there both days
  13. J

Grizzly chucks

The one I have is http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6267 I like it a lot but it required some work. Before using it I had to disassemble it, clean out the oil and metal shavings and then spray some teflon/wax dry lubricant on the screw mechanism. I also bought the pin and large dovetail jaws...
  14. TJ's Goblet Spring 2008

TJ's Goblet Spring 2008

TJ made this at Frank Penta's studio when he was 8
  15. J

Youngest NC Wood Worker

Be careful Phil. As soon as your son gets the turning bug you'll be waiting in line for your lathe like I was. I am glad TJ has his own lathe now but his tools are better then mine (he has a set of Crown tools and the majority of mine are Harbor Freight with some Sorbys) One thing I have yet to...
  16. J

Holly shorts

Yes it does turn well. The difficulty with holly is that it does spalt quite easily (or turns a dingy grey color) when it is cut wet. The real trick with holly for turning is to have it cut when there is little sap in the tree and get the rest of the moisture out as quickly as possible so that...
  17. J

Youngest NC Wood Worker

My son TJ has been turning since he was 7 (he is now 10 - Actually got instructions from the likes of Bonnie Klein, Nick Cook and Joe Ruminski at the AAW in Richmond when he was 8 and Frank Penta taught him before that). He has his own Jet Mini and other tools. We had been going to the Home...
  18. J

Woodburning pen/kit

How about a $25 Harbor Freight car battery charger on a 600 W dimmer and some nichrome wire. Thats what most of the people in our club use. People that have the "official" woodburning setups and made one of these homemade kits like this homemade setup better. Graeme Priddle from New Zealand did...
  19. J

NC Woodturning Symposium

The gallery is usually open to the public but you need to be registered to enter the presentations and vendor room. John

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors