Search results

1. F

How to finish an "odd" table top

I'm eventually going to start a fun coffee table project which uses old yardsticks as the table top. These yardsticks are mostly vintage; some have a finish on them already (who knows what...) while others were left natural. How would you recommend finishing something like this? I was...
  2. F

My first year making Christmas gifts

I finally had the confidence/skill/shop space/time to build gifts for my family this year, so i stuck with the classics (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics): This was my first attempt at a cutting board and a small box, and i must say i was quite happy with the results.
  3. F

Using 2 bench screws to make a vise

I was hoping someone has done this before, but the thought was to use 2 ordinary bench screws (like these) to create my own twin screw vise. Thoughts, comments?? :banana:
  4. F

Scraps for a cutting board

I was just going to order some off that new fangled world wide web, but i figured i could ask here. Would anyone have any walnut/maple (or similar) scraps they would be willing to part with for a modest price? I'm going for a 12x18 sized board :occasion1
  5. F

Has anyone ever actually found a mahogany pallet?

I'm curious...i know they exist but i don't think i have ever seen one. :icon_scra
  6. F

Small display table

Just a small display table i made. The top and stretchers are reclaimed Douglas Fir (identified thanks to this forum :icon_thum) with an oil finish; the legs are just poplar with a java gel stain. This was my first serious attempt at traditional joinery, and subsequently my first attempt at...
  7. F

Cutting angled tenons

I will be starting a new coffee table soon in which the legs will be canted out from the stretchers at a modest angle (10-15* maybe?). When cutting the M&T joints here, should i angle the mortises when i cut those or should i cut angled tenons to fit square-cut mortises? I honestly don't know...
  8. F

Help me ID this wood...

Here is the freshly planed board: Here with a couple coats of oil: It's an old board, it splinters easily, and stain is blotchy on it (although oil works well). I think it is just old quartersawn pine, but i'm no expert...the rays in it are throwing me off.
  9. F

Brass plate around the Hickory area

I am looking for a source for 1/8" brass plate in western NC; google has not helped me :evil: I'm assuming 1/8" is what i need, it would be for small parts on various jigs and whatnot.
  10. F

Best way to flatten a chisel with a concave back?

So i'm really just beginning to get into hand tools; got my first set of chisels for christmas and i've only now begun to sharpen/hone them. Anyways, i received a set of Stanley chisels (this line...
  11. F

Hickory area hardwood suppliers

Google hasn't been too terribly helpful, so i thought i'd ask here....Klingspor's had a little bit but i'm looking for more selection. Not looking for anything particular at the moment, but i'm new to the area and would like to know where to look...
  12. F

Picture frame glass

A piece a little larger than 2' x 3' around Hickory?? I know Michaels and AC Moore are the obvious choices but they are always expensive...
  13. F

How do we feel about WoodCraft vises?

I'm in the process of building my first workbench and I am looking for a front vise. As a casual/novice woodworker i can't justify spending $150 on a vise, but the Small Front Vise or its quick release equivalent seem to be good products. Can anyone offer an opinion?
  14. F

3/4" pipe for pipe clamps

Where is a good, and preferably cheap, source for pipe around raleigh?
  15. F

Portable table saw "recommendations"??

New member here...I'm in the market for a portable table saw. I do some light woodworking/simple furniture building as a hobby, but i also share a single-car garage with a roommate. I'm mostly the garage user, but i must be mindful of our collective space...:) That being said. I need to be...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS