Search results

1. Bent Spindle Screw

Bent Spindle Screw

Bent spindle screw from my Delta LA200 Lathe
  2. M

In search of somewhat obscure part for my lil lathe

Not exactly a normal screw... But I suppose it MAY be possible to straighten out. I've searched all the normal avenues and a few not so normal and came here when I drew a blank hoping someone might have one of these older Midi lathes laying around. Picture attached now for reference. :)
  3. M

First place I checked actually... I'm pretty good at sourcing stuff but this one was discontinued. Guess I should have mentioned that. :) Even called Sears as they had the part number listed as well. Thus far I've been unable to find it at any place listing the part number.
  4. M

Long shot here... but I've got a Delta LA-200 Midi lathe that's been performing flawlessly for me for several years now. That is... until I loaned it out. It was transported a little carelessly and somehow the tail spindle screw got bent. Wondered why all of a sudden I had an issue cranking the...
  5. M

Unloading some Maple...

About 1/4-1/3 gone... I'll be pulling it back out of the garage again this Saturday for some folks that have appointments to come check it out. Most of what's left is the 7-8" wide and around 6-8 foot long variety. There are a few wider boards that are around 5' long but the bigger stuff it...
  6. M

Unloading some Maple...

Picked up a few hundred bdft of relatively soft (not quite big leaf super soft maple) maple and I've got a lot more than I can use. I've got it sorted out front of my garage right now because someone was supposed to come pick up a decent chunk of it this morning and flaked at the last minute. If...
  7. maple lumber

maple lumber

maple lumber
  8. M

14" Rigid band saw at Direct Tools (Mebane) for $260 today

I was just there yesterday with one of my 2 groupons... They've got a Rigid floor drill press that ends up being $100 after the groupon as well. Came REALLY close to grabbing it for that kind of price.
  9. M

2nd AnnualCharlotte area Xmas Demo-interest?

Me me me! I'll try not to have another emergency surgery this time! ;)
  10. M

Lacquer finish Help!

The trick will be the undercoat I think. As far as lacquer goes it burns into the lacquer underneath it so you don't have to sand before recoating there as it's more of a chemical adhesion vs physical adhesion. If you think you sanded through to the wood, you probably did. On a gloss finish...
  11. M

Update: CPSC Opens Comment period on Tablesaw Safety ANPRM

Jim, That part I agree with whole heartedly. As I mentioned, I noticed the reference to the fact that the request came from them but I don't know the back ground behind it. The ethics behind that sort of bother me. While I don't see anything wrong with equipping saws with the safety equipment...
  12. M

Update: CPSC Opens Comment period on Tablesaw Safety ANPRM

Ok... part of this might bring out the pitchforks but... Why not? Setting aside the fact that I read that as the SawStop folks were the ones petitioning for the safety measure... (Which I DO have some issues with): What's wrong with incorporating a Saw Stop like system into table saws? Other...
  13. M

Ductless Mini Split - Hut oh, what have I done?

Kevin if you need a hand working on your shop let me know... I'm good at hack jobs too and if we're talking drums you won't even notice the crooked dry wall ;)
  14. M

Announcing the Fall 2011 Raffle *ONLINE TICKET SALES NOW AVAILABLE*

Well... I'll guarantee you guys win something by buying some tickets. I NEVER win at any kind of raffle so we'll just call it a donation ;)
  15. M

Any Finishing Tips for Cool Weather Finishing?

Addendum: A never before used on female hair, hair drier. Lesson learned the hard way on that one.
  16. M

Router bit in a drill press

So it's a simple hole and not a shaped piece... Why not build it into the drum before you lathe it? Cut the hole in the stave, glue in the purple heart. Once it's lathed you can bore out the vent and then use a small router by hand with a roundover and get it just about perfect. Since you're...
  17. M

Looking for a a wood selection to complement lacewood veneer work

What about straight grained bubinga? Has strong straight grain and color wise is darn close to the lacewood to save time trying to match the color. I'm thinking curly + lace might be too much but strong straight grain with the lacewood just highlights the figure on the lacewood.
  18. M

Garage Takeover

Good feedback! There's no way to be able to roll up the shop and get 2 cars in... I've done a pretty good job of doing a similar idea and allowing her room to get her car in though. :) It's just a bit of a hassle to have to roll everything back out in order to use it. I'm just ready for a...
  19. M

Router bit in a drill press

I like this idea best... but that depends on how you want to do the vent. Are you looking to replicate the diecast vents on the market now but in wood? If not, then boring out the hole, gluing in the purple heart, and then porting the purple heart and trimming it up would be the easiest method...
  20. M

Garage Takeover

I was thinking about "walling" off a section towards the front for the lawn equipment. Something like a tall storage unit with the storage side facing in or even a lumber rack of sorts could be a good divider. I'll sketch the whole thing out before I do any work. The one rule I do have from the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors