Search results

1. creasman

Making side bead planes

I'm in the process of making a set of side bead planes, ranging from 1/8" up to 1/2". A bead bigger than 1/2" is probably only going to be found on some architectural moulding, not on furniture. These planes need boxing to stand up to the wear where the quirk is cut. In my case I'm making the...
  2. creasman

Building a Chevalet de Marqueterie

Many of you are aware from a previous post that I am building a chevalet. I want go into details of chevalets, their history and use. You can read that in an excellent article by Patrick Edwards. I'm mostly finished at this point so I thought it would be a good time post some pictures of the...
  3. creasman

Stanley 98 / 99 side rabbet pair

I've been wanting a pair of side rabbet planes, so I finally pulled the trigger when these came up for sale. Looking forward getting the irons sharp so I can give them a try. Anyone here have experience restoring nickel plating? I may give it a try on these. I've watched a few videos on...
  4. creasman

Making stopped chamfers

Chamfers are a frequently used corner treatment in woodworking where you create a bevel along an edge. Aesthetically, they offer a way to visually lighten a piece, and practically, a way to protect a corner (i.e., it's hard to dent a corner that isn't there). Sometimes the chamfer runs the...
  5. creasman

Resource on making floats

I was asked recently about some planemarkers floats I made. In response I've uploaded an article I wrote for SAPFM's Pins and Tales quarterly eZine. It describes the process followed to make a set of six floats that I use when making wooden hand planes. You can find the full article here in...
  6. creasman

Foam mats need a new home -- GONE

Our church recently removed the mats they were using in the children's play area. There are around 130 interlocking mats. Each is about 1/2" thick and 2'x2' square. All together these will cover over 600 sq ft. of floor space. One side is smooth and the other has a slight texture. I have...
  7. creasman

Shellac mixing guide

I added a PDF with a couple of tables for mixing and thinning shellac in the resources. Download and print the resource to hang in your shop if you like. That's what I plan to do. It's a quick way to get the right ratios when mixing your own shellac.
  8. creasman

Rockler drill press table for sale

After upgrading my drill press table I'm selling my old one. It's an older version of this Rockler table and fence. Included are the table, fence, stop block, dust port and a couple of extra inserts. I had it bolted onto a Delta drill press with a flat table. Depending on the configuration...
  9. creasman

Back in service

I bought a 2" bevel-edge socket chisel in an estate sale a while back. It wasn't much to look at when I found it, and I questioned my decision at the time. Even though it was practically free I knew a lot of elbow grease would be required to get it back to working order. It was covered in...
  10. creasman

Working Wood in the 18th Century Conference

Each year Colonial Williamsburg sponsors a woodworking conference. The deadline for registering is Jan 1 (Dec 16 if you want reduced pricing on lodging). I've attended the conference for several years now and find I always gain something from going. This year's conference is Jan 25-28, 2024...
  11. creasman

The making of a chair at the Boulle school -- circa 1912

While doing some research I came across this video from 1912. It was made in France at the Boulle school about the process of making a chair. It's not a "talkie" and I can't read French. However, the images speak for themselves. The use of a spindle shaper to make a curved moulding (around 8...
  12. creasman

8" Diamond sharpening plates on sale

Sharpening Supplies has a Black Friday sale on their 8" diamond sharpening plates. I bought a set of these on a previous sale and really like them. You can get a set of 4 with different grits for $199.
  13. creasman

NCSU Craft Center Spring schedule posted

The NCSU Craft Center has posted their Spring 2024 schedule online. If you're close to Raleigh this is a great place to take a class. The woodworking class schedule is found here: Wood. Unless you're an NCSU student the first date to register is Dec 4, 2023.
  14. creasman

Selling a few tools...

I'm clearing out some tools I don't use. Please PM if interested in any of these. I'm in the Apex/Cary/Holly Springs area. Ramelson Carving Set: $35 Sold Stanley 60 1/2 Block Plane: $25 Two Small Micrometers: $10 These open to about 1". Selling the pair for $10 or individual for...
  15. creasman

Finishing lacewood

I'm thinking of using lacewood on a project and have some questions regarding how it finishes. I planed a sample piece and it seems to finish very well from a tooling perspective. I did notice that it feels a bit oily after planing. For those who have experience with this wood, does it need...
  16. creasman

Queen Anne Desk

I recently accepted a commission to build a work desk in the Queen Anne style. This is for a very important client. In fact, I'm wondering if accepting this job is a conflict of interest as I'm also married to the client. I've already had to relearn those two fundamental axioms of running a...
  17. creasman

Veneer saw -- latest tool build

My tool box must definitely have a hole in the bottom. I can never seem to fill it up! There is always one more tool I need. This latest example is a copy of an old English veneer saw. The original is owned by Patrick Edwards and I was able to make a tracing of the saw parts when I attended a...
  18. creasman

Tip for resetting bandsaw fence

I've taken to doing more ripping on the 18" bandsaw I have. It's especially useful for resawing lumber. One downside is that adjusting the fence is not as easy nor as repeatable as the table saw. It usually doesn't matter since I'm going to run the board through the planer afterwards...
  19. creasman

Bandsaw feather board -- Product endorsement

I purchased an 18" heavy-duty bandsaw some time ago with the intent of using this for resawing. The bandsaw has been in service for some time, but I only recently got around to building the tall fence I would need for resawing. The other item you need is a feather board or other means of...
  20. creasman

Second class at ASFM

I was fortunate to complete a second class at the American School of French Marquetry last week in San Diego. Patrick Edwards is an excellent teacher. This class focused on the piece-by-piece method, where you make a packet and cut out several copies of each piece in the appropriate wood...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors