Search results

1. AllanD

Finishing cypress.

I would treat it like any other wood I would use on the porch. If you are worried that the resins will cause a problem, I have not found that to be the case. I have used cypress for boat components with clear oil type exterior finishes and used it for bee hives with regular exterior house...
  2. AllanD

Lazy Susan

I had to pull the plastic plugs on one of the rings if I recall
  3. AllanD

Resin Tear Out on a Helical Style Planer

Luckily I now have a wide belt sander but previously I don't remember having any significant problems with my planer with regular straight knives. One hint with the bubbles: Do the pour at a time of day that the room will be colder over the next several hours. Usually in the evening...
  4. AllanD

Seeking advice on a hot water heater tank stand

I'll be the contrarian. We replaced a gas tank heater with a natural gas tankless, Rinnai IIRC. Put up with waiting a significantly longer time for the water to get hot out of the faucet so last year went back to a natural gas tank and been much happier.
  5. AllanD

Please Consider "Opt-In" to become a Corporate Member

It's easy to check what is on your profile page. In my case I had checked the corporate box long ago but was still listed as senior. When I checked my profile because of this thread I found that for some reason I had not filled in one box for my last name. Just accidently skipped it...
  6. AllanD

Lazy Susan

@mike, I got a photo this past weekend dealing with how to mount the hardware to the wood.
  7. AllanD

Please Consider "Opt-In" to become a Corporate Member

Am I correct that our phone numbers and other personal data are only visible to the administrators?
  8. AllanD

Just joined.

Welcome aboard
  9. AllanD

Welding

or text it to me if you still have my number
  10. AllanD

Welding

I can probably do that for you Pat. Can you post a photo of the item.
  11. AllanD

Lazy Susan

I am trying to remember Mike. I am pretty sure I had to knock out some plugs on one side. I definitely remember using flat head screws to attach the wood top because I measured and remeasured to make sure I didn't drill through to the surface. It is at a vacation home we own so can't take a...
  12. AllanD

Lazy Susan

I bought this 24 inch off Amazon. Seems pretty solid and made out of aluminum. They have multiple sizes and two levels: commercial or heavy Duty. I ordered the heavy duty which is cheaper but still expensive.
  13. AllanD

Cleaning Up Wood Glue In Bathroom Sink

It is a one piece sink/counter so he wants to avoid replacing the whole shebang. BTW my wife much prefers the one piece sink/counter equipment over separate sinks.
  14. AllanD

Cleaning Up Wood Glue In Bathroom Sink

Haven't done this but the two things I would consider trying would be a stripper like citristrip or Safer stripper. Added heat would be a good idea. If that doesn't work or any of the above suggestions then start sanding. Wet sanding would be especially easy and keep going finer and finer...
  15. AllanD

Black melamine 4x8?

Yeah, don't waste time with Wurth, they quit selling to individuals or small companies. I made the counter tops in my woodshop with black laminate on MDF. If I had to do it over again I would use white laminate. The black actually gets dirty looking much faster than a lighter color...
  16. AllanD

Question about depth setting Festool 55 REQ

I think the gauge is calibrated for use without the track. I assume that is what we are discussing. I have never used the gauge as I am a Phillistine and just look under it when adjusting depth.
  17. AllanD

Fire pit lid

Another option I just thought of is to cruise the thrift stores and look for round glass table tops. We have bought plenty of those over the years and use them for tables on our patios. Some are coffee table size.
  18. AllanD

Fire pit lid

The limiting factor for longevity for an object like this exposed to weather (water) is the horizontal surface. It's why porch railings etc. peel paint before the pickets. I would opt for a piece of aluminum, fiberglass, or even plastic. If wood I would try to cover it with flashing. If...
  19. AllanD

Lazy Susan

This fall I built a lazy susan out of red oak that needed to be big enough for a game board. No photo handy but for hardware I got a 24 inch diameter aluminum with ball bearings off Amazon. Works very smoothly.
  20. AllanD

How many amp panel for shop?

The level 2 EVSEs are usually either on a 50 amp breaker with a 14-50 receptacle for the charger to plug into and deliver 40 amps continuous. Or a 60 amp breaker and hardwired to deliver 48 amps continuous. Hence why I recommended a 200 amp service since he was considering having two chargers...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS