Search results

1. T

spoons

what is an easy "dry" wood to carve th bowl of a paan from, and what to better food safe wood [domestic] species to use
  2. T

hand saw filing

what size file works best. and is a triangular shape better to us tha flat file?
  3. T

spalted wood

is it better to turn spalted wood dry or green.
  4. T

turning a void

when gluing up segmented bowls or vases is it OK and safe to leave in a hollow in center, or does it nee to be solid all the way thru?
  5. T

wood elasticity

how elastic are the walls of a freshly turned "green" bowl? Back when I made boomerangs, anytime when I wanted to change dihedral, I'd just pop a laminated boomerang into a microwave to soften the glue layes enuff to twist the tips,...and the wood layes were thin enuff to comply without...
  6. T

how are wood chopsticks made

Are these things turned or hand-carved? What woods are used? Plan on making a set as birthday gift for cousin and have no idea how to start.
  7. T

do limbs weaken

do limbs weaken a turned bowl as it dries out? I took down a couple of 6" dia. bradford pears last week and the trunks are ringed with branches Thought to try turning perpendicular to the grain. Is it enuff to dry the bowl in a a bag of damp sawdust or should I seal it with something. And is...
  8. T

abrasive wood

I've read some references to wood being "abrasive". But in the context that it is hard on tools. . Am hoping that there are some wood species that are abrasive within the wood [itself] to act as a very fine burnisher....am looking for suggestions... Have also read that wood ash can be used to...
  9. T

is a finish even,...

is a finish even necessary on a cutting board or bowl meant for food contact? If various woods have antibacterial properties within them, what use is there fore finishes - other than looks?
  10. T

poor man's fibreglas

wasn't sure which forum to put this under...oh, well.. Is it enuff to just coat one side of the canvas when gluing to wood surface or is it necessary to saturate the cloth? If saturating the cloth is just to lessen the amount of paint used, I'd rather use more paint [cheaper] then glue. And...
  11. T

fuming?

are there any chemicals - other than ammonia - that can be used to fume wood? And what effect can be obtained?
  12. T

to the farmers on here

I'm planning on rebuilding a small disc harrow. [Something to pull behind my farmall 140.] The wood bearing inserts have gone missing and I'd like to replace them. Can't find out [online] what species of wood they'd be most likely made of or how they are turned - parallel with the grain or...
  13. T

shaving wood

my $0.02 worth of a tip. I think I may have posted something like this elsewhere before. ...anyway,.... The other day I couldn't find my scraper [I'm always mislaying stuff.] but I did know where my chainsaw was. After yrs of using these things, I've found that the chains will raise a burr...
  14. T

charred wood

I'd seen an art gallery wood turned vase, where someone had charred the outside wood [to get a very black look], sanded it down a bit and then sealed it with wax. What sort of oil/varnish mix would be best if used for inside of a bowl (for food)? I know there's that Japanese cedar siding technique.
  15. T

musical instruments

to those who make guitars, dulcimers, whatnot,...is it best to NOT apply any finish to inside of instrument? To leave wood bare? Will a finish affect the tone in any way. And for those who make, e.g. recorders or flutes, do you treat / waterproof the insides in any way,...or again bare wood?
  16. T

slippery surfaces

what safe, and long lasting products are available for use on metal surfaces, [ jointer, tablesaw, etc] tops to make em slippery for boards without causing any finishing problems later on. And does it also help to "slick up" fence surfaces, or is that not an issue?
  17. T

glassing oily wood

I wish to embed/glue oily wood runners into bottom of a fiberglass truck camper I'm planning on building. Would I need to treat the wood in any way to get a good bond between the fiberglass/epoxy resin and wood? . Don't know species of wood [ scrap wood I found ]. but it's heavy and has a...
  18. T

cold milling

Gonna be sawmilling a customer's logs in a couple of weeks. Been waiting for a good warm spell, Fella's putting up siding for a barn.. Some logs are 14" dia. pine and some 20" oak. Only a couple are on the ground,..Cut last November. So I have a couple of questions: how long does it take for a...
  19. T

slotted beams

Was in a cousin's old barn, built probably in early 1800's. Noticed that many of the 4x4 vertical supporting beams had slits/slots cuts on one side [though some beams had slots that alternated up on both sides. The horizontal cuts are about two inches deep from one side to the other. They are...
  20. T

Hums, but I can't place the tune....

My 3HP 3 PH planer motor hums but doesn't rotate. Someone had suggested that perhaps it had "dropped a leg". Would this be a reference to a fault in the motor or in the line between motor and sub panel? Should this be left to an electrician to figure out, or can a bumbler do it? If it's the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS