Search results

1. T

spoons

what is an easy "dry" wood to carve th bowl of a paan from, and what to better food safe wood [domestic] species to use
  2. T

hand saw filing

what size file works best. and is a triangular shape better to us tha flat file?
  3. T

spalted wood

is it better to turn spalted wood dry or green.
  4. T

turning a void

when gluing up segmented bowls or vases is it OK and safe to leave in a hollow in center, or does it nee to be solid all the way thru?
  5. T

how are wood chopsticks made

what's considered a "comfortable" length to use? ...and weight. And is the shape consistent end to end? I've only ever seen the cheap things handed out at asian - style restaurants. I've never seen a real set, up close.
  6. T

wood elasticity

how elastic are the walls of a freshly turned "green" bowl? Back when I made boomerangs, anytime when I wanted to change dihedral, I'd just pop a laminated boomerang into a microwave to soften the glue layes enuff to twist the tips,...and the wood layes were thin enuff to comply without...
  7. T

how are wood chopsticks made

Are these things turned or hand-carved? What woods are used? Plan on making a set as birthday gift for cousin and have no idea how to start.
  8. T

do limbs weaken

do limbs weaken a turned bowl as it dries out? I took down a couple of 6" dia. bradford pears last week and the trunks are ringed with branches Thought to try turning perpendicular to the grain. Is it enuff to dry the bowl in a a bag of damp sawdust or should I seal it with something. And is...
  9. T

abrasive wood

I've read some references to wood being "abrasive". But in the context that it is hard on tools. . Am hoping that there are some wood species that are abrasive within the wood [itself] to act as a very fine burnisher....am looking for suggestions... Have also read that wood ash can be used to...
  10. T

is a finish even,...

is a finish even necessary on a cutting board or bowl meant for food contact? If various woods have antibacterial properties within them, what use is there fore finishes - other than looks?
  11. T

poor man's fibreglas

wasn't sure which forum to put this under...oh, well.. Is it enuff to just coat one side of the canvas when gluing to wood surface or is it necessary to saturate the cloth? If saturating the cloth is just to lessen the amount of paint used, I'd rather use more paint [cheaper] then glue. And...
  12. T

fuming?

are there any chemicals - other than ammonia - that can be used to fume wood? And what effect can be obtained?
  13. T

Craft fair advise

hmm, it doesn't hurt to know a second language - or at least how to count. A customer once asked me [in german] if I'd sell three items for one price...at that time it had been over twenty years since my college german class. I remembered just enuff to make the sale. The other languages I...
  14. T

Looking for walnut.

what sizes of lumber are you looking for? If you're willing to go out as far as Greensboro, I'm 2 miles south of Rock Creek Dairy industrial park [south of whitsett / gibsonville. I have black walnut in different sizes. Some sheltered and some stacked outside.
  15. T

Making Photography Box

youtube has lots of "tutorials" on shooting product. But so many are all over the place. I suggest that when you do turn to Youtube that you look for vids dealing with ............ TABLETOP photography. Shooting a bowl or flutes is different than landscapes or portraits. Nor is tabletop...
  16. T

Making Photography Box

have you all ready made this box / tent? smartphone or "real" camera?.....what sort of photo-editing software... A lens hood is something that often gets overlooked. Does wonders for a shot and less post production work. If using an iphone, tape flaps of cardoard or something along top and...
  17. T

to the farmers on here

thx, was thinking perhaps dogwood, but after my property was logged, they took anything of size. I can see where Elm's interlocking grain would work well for hubs. The cast iron bearings have zerks, so no need of an oily wood. How easy does elm turn? I've a Corky Elm tree I could cut.
  18. T

to the farmers on here

I'm planning on rebuilding a small disc harrow. [Something to pull behind my farmall 140.] The wood bearing inserts have gone missing and I'd like to replace them. Can't find out [online] what species of wood they'd be most likely made of or how they are turned - parallel with the grain or...
  19. T

shaving wood

my $0.02 worth of a tip. I think I may have posted something like this elsewhere before. ...anyway,.... The other day I couldn't find my scraper [I'm always mislaying stuff.] but I did know where my chainsaw was. After yrs of using these things, I've found that the chains will raise a burr...
  20. T

Low temperature glue up help

as an aside, are TB2 & TB3 still useable after they've been frozen, or should the bottles be thrown out?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS