Search results

1. C

Are any of the triangle area mobile sawyers able to saw very long lengths (18' or up to 26'+)

I have a number of large pine trees that I am looking at getting taken down in the next few months. I also am potentially putting an addition on my house in about a year that will need some large beams, mostly around 18' but the largest is around 26' with a center support. I'm wondering if I...
  2. C

Aromatic cedar sources?

Prices I'm seeing from the usual retailers are high, of course...so...Anybody got a solid triangle-adjacent cedar source? I need about 350-400BF of 4/4 for a closet I'm doing. 9' lengths ideal, but not necessary. I also have a ton of mill run walnut (5/4 skip planed to just over 1"),12'-16'...
  3. C

Protecting Cast iron machinery in unconditioned storage?

Last week I drove up to VA and bought out most of the tools and wood from someone who was retiring to FL. It was too good a deal to pass up, but now I've got a problem. I have it all in my storage unit, and it will 6 months to a year before the space will be ready for the stuff. (we're building...
  4. C

cabinet finsih for light wood?

Getting closer to starting construction on our new house (and shop) and I'm gathering samples to work out the materials and finishes for the kitchen cabinets and several built-ins. The cabinets will be euro-style, frameless, in veneer core plywood, with either a maple or anigre face veneer. I'd...
  5. C

Grizzly 0623X extension tables

I'm looking at the 0623X for my new shop, and there's something I can't figure out from their website. It lists the ripping width capacity as 33", but also says "Table extension on right and rear side of main table permits convenient cutting of large panels" Does that mean that you can get a...
  6. C

source for an old, dead bandsaw blade?

Hi all, I'm making a couple multiple-roll tape dispensers and will need about 3' total of something serrated for the tear-off edge. I was thinking an old bandsaw blade would work fine for this - anybody have one they're about to junk? I can pick up sometime if you're local (I'm in durham) or...
  7. C

Where to get small stumps/bells?

I've got an idea for a project that would need a few small tree stumps/bells. Maybe max 10" diameter at the widest point, and smaller would be fine too. Not much preference on species, but ideally would be something that doesn't move/check excessively, looks decent in cross section, and has...
  8. C

Fun with Oak IDs

A buddy of mine called and said he was getting ready to take out 8-9 trees on his lot in Durham, and he wanted to know if I could help him figure out if they were worth the effort of keeping them out of the firewood pile. He wants to buy an Alaskan (chainsaw) sawmill if there's 3-4 worth...
  9. C

50's house siding ID.

I'm looking at an old house that's in terrible shape. Much of the vertical siding needs to be replaced - it looks like cedar to me, but I have heard the house was built by someone who exclusively used cypress (which I have little to no familiarity with). Can anyone clarify?
  10. C

Aromatic Cedar drawer bottoms - Plywood or solid?

Just got going on designing a slick modern dresser. I want to use some aromatic cedar in the drawer boxes but can't seem to come up with a satisfying way to do it. At first I figured I'd make the whole box (minus the front) out of cedar, but eventually backed off that idea as I think Baltic...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors