Search results

1. C

Small blanket chest project

Glueing up the case I was reminded why I like hide glue. I buttered up a set of mortises on one face of a leg—reached for the corresponding rails and realized I had brushed glue in the wrong mortises. With hide glue it was not a big glitch. I wiped out the excess glue with a paper towel...
  2. C

The case is glued up. Ready to make the drawer. I lay out the tails on poplar drawer sides. I tape the sides together and saw the tails on both sides at once. Since the drawer will be side-hung I leave an extra wide pin in the center so that the drawer front serves as a stop against the...
  3. C

Panels have been prefinished with a shellac sealer then a couple of coats of satin polyurethane wiped on. Frame has been shellac sealed and sanded ready for glue-up. Parts are assembled for one of the end components and glued up. I glue up the end panels and the rear panel. The end...
  4. C

cutting off top of box

I use table saw with a clean rip blade set to NOT completely cut through the thickness. I leave less than 1/32 holding the box together and finish with a sharp utility knife. Minimum sanding, but you always have to sand or hand plane a saw cut.
  5. C

With all the panels raised, fitted and sanded it’s time for tapering the legs i want to dry assemble to get a first look at a side component. Because this is a short 5 1/2 inch taper I marked them out and cut them freehand on the bandsaw. After the saw it I planed across grain to remove the...
  6. C

Now that frames and posts are dry fit and grooved it’s panel time. I confirmed the measurements for the panels from assembled dry-fit. After cutting to size I’ve found the best way to start the panel-raising process is to cut a rough bevel on table saw to remove bulk of the waste. i use a...
  7. C

Learned that the hard way. My shop is unheated. I once left a freshly milled board flat on the bench only to find it picked up twist in a couple of days.
  8. C

Next phase fit each tenon, assemble components dry for test fit and confirm measurements for drawer runners. This little skew plane is great for refining the tenons for a tight fit. It’s a left-hand skew so it runs tight to the shoulder for a right handed person. The left end component...
  9. C

My wife wants a sitting place in the bathroom. Not a shower seat but a place to sit while dressing, etc. I thought of a small blanket chest to match the cherry vanity I built for the bathroom a couple of years back. I worked out this design to fit into the space. It’s about 26” x 20” x 21”...
  10. C

dovetails for drawers

Great to see this post . Quality construction all the way.
  11. C

Hand saw restoration and sharpening workshop

I’d be up for this. Put me on the list.
  12. C

Thin Kerf Saw Blade Question

Thin-kerf blades with shop-made zero clearance throat plate is it for me. no reason to go back to full-width blades that I have found for my furniture projects.
  13. C

Combination Squares

A cheap square can cost you more in wasted wood on one project than the difference in price from a quality tool. I have trashed several bargain squares over the years. Do you feel lucky?
  14. C

Edwards Mountain Woodworks

welcome back, Bill. I’m checking out your offerings.
  15. C

The Hardwood Store of NC is OPEN is Salisbury!

I was in the area on Monday and stopped in for some 5/4 maple. Great new store with a good stock of lumber and neat as a pin. Very easy access off I-85. I live about equal distance from Salisbury or Gibsonville.
  16. C

Tea box project

Pillow panels have rounded over tops as opposed to panels with sharp edges. Lee Valley was source of hinges. They come in various lengths but you have to buy screws separately. They work well, but the screws are very tiny and hard to work with.
  17. C

Tea box project

There are splines
  18. C

Tea box project

A few years ago I made some boxes to hold an assortment of packaged teas at the request of my wife. I made another run of 4 boxes this year and thought I’d post one. They’re made with cherry with maple raised panels in the tops. The partitions are all removable. They fit inside the box with...
  19. C

When last did you use your hand plane?

I don’t make a living at woodworking, but I have not built a furniture project in the last 20 years without using a handplane. I couldn’t afford the machinery that would be necessary to build without hand planes and chisels.
  20. C

Looking for contractors to help w bathroom

I recently redid a bath in the way you describe hiring professionals in electrical, plumbing, and tile. I started by going to a tile supplier, choosing tile and asking about tile people they worked with. Got great info and hired a tile mason. I asked him for recommendations about plumbers and...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS