Search results

1. Mr. Lahey

Turn a Sewing Machine into a Scroll Saw

http://www.instructables.com/id/From-Sewing-Machine-to-Scroll-Saw-a-Christmas-tal/
  2. Mr. Lahey

Nails Vs Screws

I just can't think of many reasons to use nails at all. As I understand screws hold better, and don't you have to take time to drill pilot holes for nails anyway?
  3. Mr. Lahey

New Workbench- Photo Heavy

That is amazing. Did you design it from scratch or use a plan and modify it?
  4. Mr. Lahey

Anyone know how to fix a cracked plastic auto lense?

I have a orange turn signal light on a car that got busted, I glued it together the best I could but a few pieces are still missing from the plastic. Apparently the colored tape is not good enough for you to pass inspection, so now I just have clear duct tape over the remaining holes. Does...
  5. Mr. Lahey

Anyone know a place to buy upholstery foam?

Thanks for the tips guys :icon_thum
  6. Mr. Lahey

Anyone know a place to buy upholstery foam?

I need to get some thick foam, the type that is used in cushions and upholstery. We need it for a sleeping compartment on our boat. The v-berth has custom shaped cushions but they are very thin and uncomfortable, so we would like to look into getting some nice thick foam that we could make into...
  7. Mr. Lahey

Painting screw heads?

I'm working on a project that uses very small black screws. I could not find black screws, so I will have to paint the heads. I've tried this before and not been very successful. The paint tends to collect in the screw head, and tends to come right off when driving them. What would be a good...
  8. Mr. Lahey

Painters Pyramids

Noticed these at Lowes the other day. I have not had a chance to try them but they look like they could be a real time saver.They are supposed to allow you to flip things over and paint the other side without waiting for it to dry. I have a project I have to stain I'm going to try them on.
  9. Mr. Lahey

Project-Hammock Stand

I'm enjoying this one =) It cost me about $35 in wood and hardware, which is alot less than the store bought ones cost. I used (2) 6ft 4x4s and (3) 8ft 2x4s. I'm considering adding a few short boards or cords to stabilize the 4x4s, although it's pretty stable as is.
  10. Mr. Lahey

Can I install a water heater without soldering the pipes?

I just took down my old water heater. The inlet and outlet pipes were soldered so I had to hacksaw them. I don't have a torch for soldering pipes. Is there a coupler or something I can use instead?
  11. Mr. Lahey

Tung vs teak vs lemon vs linseed oil

Thanks, that helps clear it up. I'm not really looking for a finish, but something to revitalize and protect the wood...I have a rosewood fingerboard as well as a table that could use it. The only one I have used is lemon oil. I read in a sailing book that it would kill mold. We used it on wood...
  12. Mr. Lahey

Tung vs teak vs lemon vs linseed oil

So many choices...can someone please tell me the differences between all these wood oils and what they work best for?
  13. Mr. Lahey

What would be the best hardward for this?

I working on a project which will have a door on it. its basically a small box with a hidden compartment. I want the doors hinges to be hidden, and there to be no handle on it, but the door will be flush with the box. when you push in on the door , the compartment would pop up. I've seen some...
  14. Mr. Lahey

How do I calculate the strength of a design?

This is my design so far. I'm planning to keep this design, except this is only about 7 feet tall, so I plan on adding additional shelves on top. The large empty space in the center is where the fireplace is and a flat screen tv will be above the fireplace. This is planning to use 3/4 pine. I'm...
  15. Mr. Lahey

I like it! it's very versatile with all the different sized shelves.
  16. Mr. Lahey

Veritas Wheel Marking Gauge-opinions?

This looks like a really nice gauge, I'm thinking of ordering one. I really like the fact that you can get it graduated. Anyone have one of these? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=59455&cat=1,42936
  17. Mr. Lahey

Beware of Owner!

Great sign!:thumbs_up
  18. Mr. Lahey

I'm designing a wall bookcase that will go up to the ceiling, which is about 12 ft high or so. I'd like to determine the strength of my materials and design. For example, I would like to calculate the maximum weight an individual shelf can support, and how much total weight the bookcase can...
  19. Mr. Lahey

Plywood with Cherry Veneer?

Thanks! I'll give these places a call!
  20. Mr. Lahey

Plywood with Cherry Veneer?

Anyone know where to get it locally?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS