Search results

1. N

Merry Christmas or Nightmare Before Christmas??

I made this ornament for our family support group auction this year. I wondering if it's a little too "Tim Burton'esk"?? Additionally, I really like it matte but think I will need to spray lacquer it to make it more appealing to the potential bidders. Thoughts? Anywho, Cherry Burl and Holly...
  2. N

Cherry Burl "Goblet"

This is the first time I've ever turned a burl, so thought I'd start smallish and not too thin. The form is 5" tall, dry sanded to 600, BLO sanded with 600, hand rubbed shellac then hand sanded to 8000 MM. The base I took my inspiration from some tobacco pipe makers who rusticate their pipes...
  3. N

Tiger Maple HF (WIP)

The Treasury Department (Mrs Davey), saw a small commercial HF with pedestal and finial at her friends house, and wanted one like it. After looking at it, it was the worst piece of work I've ever seen, and if any of you tell her that I'll swear I never said it. I finished the HF for her today...
  4. N

When Two Loves Meet

No real magic here. I love coffee and I love woodturning. I haven't been able to do much turning lately, so tried my hand at a wooden coozie. A few lesson learned, like don't drill the center hole longer than the mug will be....now the Minister of Finance wants one, may try and dye hers...
  5. N

This Weekends Projects

Thought I posted this, but can't find it so here goes. Another in my kitless bottle stopper attempts. This still needs a cork. Red Bed, finished with a lot of CA, we sanded with 400, then sanded up to 12k with micro mesh then three wheel buffed. This is the second in a series of bowl...
  6. N

Kitless Bottle Stopper

While going through the oiling process with the two wood bowl I'm working on the Minister of Finance wanted a bottle stopper. Being to cheap to buy one, I went out to a local winery and picked up a couple corks, drilled them, found some Honey Locust ( I think) nubs and made her a stopper. The...
  7. N

Mesquite HF

This is a 5 1/2" tall by 3" wide mesquite hollow form with a holly finial. The side by side is a before and after dying to illustrate the difference black can make in a finial. The HF is finished with lots of coats of WOP. Thanks for looking thoughts and critique appreciated.
  8. N

Oregon Myrtle Lidded Bowl

This is my first attempt at a lidded bowl and pedestal. Oregon Myrtle is a joy to turn, sand and finish. Right now I have about 6 coats of Tung Oil on the out side so need to let it cure then buff it out. My attempt was to make the base of the pedestal mirror the bowls shape and the...
  9. N

Hollow Form with Finial

This is my first "multipiece" turning. The form is Walnut, about 3" is Dia x 2" tall with a Ambrosia Maple collar and American Holly finial I dyed black. The finial is 2 3/4" tall. Thanks for looking.
  10. N

Fire Piston Prototype

I've wanted to try an fire piston for some time, so while waiting on some roughed out hollow forms to dry, thought this would be a good time. For those of you not familiar with a fire piston, it works on the same principle as a diesel engine. Use compression to start a fire. The fire piston...
  11. N

Walnut Hollow From

After blowing out my first tall hollow form I had to give it a second try. I used my homemade hollowing tools and am very happy with them. I have found that I need to hone the edges occasionally to get better cuts. This HF is 7" tall and 4" in diameter. The hole is 1" diameter and the walls...
  12. N

Large Walnut Bowl Blanks

They guy I get my lumber from has a 36" in diameter Walnut tree that he doesn't know what to do with. He doesn't typically cut saw lumber just for turners but if I can get enough interest I may be able to talk him into cutting one section for bowl blanks. Any interest???
  13. N

Home made deep hollowing bar

Seeing ScottS post about his homemade Ci rougher finally motivated me to finish my Ellsworth style deep hollowing bar. The handle is 26"x ~2" with 12" of 1/2" square stock. There is 6" of square stock in the handle. The bottom of the handle is oval for a more comfortable grip. I'll try this...
  14. N

Shop Teacher from Noble in Wilmington

Does anyone know if the shop teacher from Noble, the public school in Wilmington, is on this forum??? If he is I would first, like to applaud him for his patience and second, my nephew is in his class and just made a wind spiral. This has really sparked his interest in woodworking and has...
  15. N

Remote Switch for Jet 1642 and a Vase

One of the guys from another forum posted a pic of his remote switch for his Jet 1642EVS. I unabashedly stole it and I absolutely love it. It's nice to be able, when standing at the end of the lathe, adjust the speed or with my hip, turn the lathe off. I picked up some 5 conductor thermostat...
  16. N

NE Pecan Bowl

Was out in the shop resawing some free Holly I picked up while walking the dog. Wanted to get the bark off it before it discolored the blanks. Anywho, made a 7" diameter NE bowl out of some Pecan I got from RobS. Didn't quite get the front and back symmetric, but the sides are. I hand sanded...
  17. N

Unknown Spalted Burl on a Jr Statesman

This is my second Statesman and I really like this kit. This is another burl from my "free bag o'burls" from a buddy of mine. 3 coats med ca, 6 coats thin ca 12k MM and white diamond buffed. Pic was taken with my ceiling lights f8, shutter speed 4 seconds. Comments and critique...
  18. N

Unknown Burl on Jr Gent

Been a while since I turned a pen and needed one for some meeting coming up. This is the first Jr Statesman in Buckeye Burl (Thanks Ras) I've turned and the first burl I've ever turned. It had some voids and inclusions so practiced my inlacing. The finish is CA final buffed on my Beal with...
  19. N

Ambrosia Maple Bowl

Well, I'm not sure how to describe the shape of this. I was trying for an ogee, but it still seems a bit elusive for me. After turning the candle stick I was casting aimlessly about the shop trying to figure what I wanted to do next. My eyes rested on this piece I had cut into a blank and...
  20. N

Ambrosia Maple Candlestick

I wanted to make a candlestick like Rude Osolniks masterpiece. What I ended up with is a candlestick influenced by Rude Osolniks design. I was disappointed but the Minister of Finance, AKA Mrs Davey, likes it so now I'm happy. I also learned that, apparently, red wax is too costly to make an...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS