Search results

1. S

New source of affordable, high quality carving chisels and gouges.

UPDATE: The first set I received was missing one of the gouges. I didn't notice at first because the set had a two #5 x 20mm so there were no empty slots in the tool roll. I sent a note to the mfg (Schaaf) and they quickly sent me an ENTIRE NEW SET -- not just the gouge missing from the first...
  2. S

I received my set about a week ago. The Amazon description made a point of saying not to order these gouges if you don't want to sharpen them and my experience backs this up. The gouges arrived "relatively" sharp but the tips were not all perpendicular to the shaft and one of the gouges had a...
  3. S

I think Joe Dillett, owner of the Carving Shop, has an excellent YouTube channel dedicated to all things carving. He's been carving full time since 1957 and has a lot of knowledge to share and I personally like his "down home" style. He recently posted a video endorsing a new supplier of...
  4. S

Carving smooth curves (letters and numbers) into basswood.

Thanks very much for the feedback, Stave. I just posed a question asking where to buy Limewood. Coincidence because I hadn't seen your post yet. Since my original post, I've spent a little time cleaning up the basswood carving shown in the pictures and, per suggestion from Roy, I did another...
  5. S

Source for Limewood?

For carving, I'd like to try Limewood but I don't know if it's available in the US. Apparently it's common in Europe but not here. (Western NC) Some people believe it's just another name for basswood but I've seen several carving videos that make me question this. It seems a little harder than...
  6. S

No, Roy. I've done some relief carving in harder woods including walnut but limited my letter carving to basswood so far. Now that you mention it, I will try walnut. Thanks for the suggestion. Scott C
  7. S

I'm having problems getting smooth curves on letters and numbers into basswood. Is there anyone on this forum with letter-carving experience in the Hendersonville, NC area willing to meet with me to see why I'm having this problem? I've been woodworking for several years but I'm new to relief...
  8. S

Trouble Uploading photos to Gallery

I'm unable to upload photos to the Gallery. The files are .jpg. Their size in pixels is 1536 x 2048. I've tried to upload from Google Chrome and Firefox. I've tried about 4 times thinking the server may be overloaded but no luck. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the...
  9. S

A Finish For Walnut

The process you described to finish the test piece sounded very time consuming - something you said that you were concerned about in your original post. You could save several days by using dewaxed shellac as an undercoat (s) and one or two coats of Waterlox for the final finish. Worth a try...
  10. S

Basic Question About Walnut

Thank you. I'm going to check out her online course. I’ve watched several of her videos on YouTube. Scott
  11. S

A Finish For Walnut

Rick: Very interesting design. Nice work. My 2 cents ... Shellac probably isn't a great finish for the top of the table if you think alcohol might spill on it. Alcohol will dissolve the finish. It's not to difficult to fix if that happens but you can avoid the issue by using something else on...
  12. S

WOW - those pictures are huge. I'll resize before uploading any more. My apologies. Scott C
  13. S

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm hoping to take some lessons locally if I can find someone. As far as my wood choices, remember, I was experimenting. :) So far, I like the look of walnut the best but I'm looking forward to trying the basswood. I've attached two photo's. One shows a relief of...
  14. S

You got that right! I've done several flat work projects in ipe. Some included shaping using files and rasps. It's fabulous in some ways. With rasps, it shapes well and it finishes beautifully. Since I was experimenting, I wanted to see how it carved - knowing that it would be tough on me and...
  15. S

Dan: Thanks very much for detailed reply. I am not trying to match anything - at least not now. I've done "flat work" for several years but now trying to learn various types of carving to decorate my flat work. So - I'm learning about the "carvability" of woods I've used for years and really...
  16. S

Thank you, Matt
  17. S

Technically speaking, is "black walnut" different than other types of walnut or is it just a matter of black walnut being darker? I'm asking because I'm doing some relief carving in walnut. I'm getting more chip out than some of the examples I've seen on YouTube and wondering if I need to...
  18. S

Book Box

Great idea and wonderful execution. Something your son can hand down to his children. The carved feather is a great touch. Does the feather represent a writing quill? I'm curious about the walnut cover (back, spine and top). Is it three pieces joined together or a single large block hollowed...
  19. S

Creating complementary curves

Jeff: Sorry for the delayed reply. The key cabinet was an example of where I would like to use this complementary curve concept. Once I make the panel, I'd layout the parts (raised panel door, drawers) so the pattern flowed smoothly. You're not being a boor at all. I'm confident that the...
  20. S

Creating complementary curves

Using two complementary woods, i would glue up a panel approx 24" x 12” x 5/8". From this glue up, i would cut drawer faces, rails, stiles and raised panel for door. I'd arrange these in such a way that the pattern flowed from bottom ( the drawers) to top. thanks for your comments and interest...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS