Search results

1. TheLazyC

Forum Suggestion

Something I would like to see as a beginner is when people show their finished work (ie: tables, desk, chest of drawers, etc) if they would be kind enough to share the tools they used to make it. Or even a little detail on how they made it. When I see this nice furniture it makes me want to...
  2. TheLazyC

Pen Photos

Well I am still trying to perfect my pen photography. These are out of focus some since my aperture was not set correctly, but here are the only two pens that are complete after 7 tries. View image in gallery View image in gallery
  3. TheLazyC

Pen Kits arrived, 2 more scrap pens

So I think I would be better off turning my wood working to something like, cutting firewood! I was so excited about getting my next set of pen kits and blanks. 11 cigar kits. I cut the blanks to length with my new band saw, glued the tubes in and tuned the radio in to the Wednesday night...
  4. TheLazyC

Table saw that saves your fingers

Not sure if you have seen this before or not, but this video goes a little further than the demos I have seen before, check it out to the end of the video. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e7c_1263062264
  5. TheLazyC

Santa Carvings

This is more about photography than carving. I built my new lightbox tonight to take photos of my Pens but thought I would practice with my wife's Santa collection. A friend of ours carves these each year. I wish I had started collecting them from the begining but I am fortuate enough to have...
  6. TheLazyC

New Ridgid Band Saw

I was in the local HD today and came across this band saw that was marked down 1/2 price, with tax it was less than $200. The safety key was missing, but they stole one off another Ridgid tool and I paid for it and will pick it up tomorrow. I hope it is a ok saw, I figured for the price it would...
  7. TheLazyC

I created spare parts tonight

So I got inspired to go out to the shop tonight to try pen turning day two. So I thought I would try one of my good pen kits and nice wood blanks, since the first one went so well, I cut the blank to the two lengths required and drill the first hole and messed it up, I don't have a drill press...
  8. TheLazyC

7mm Mandrel, 10mm kit

I ordered a pen kit that said could be turned on a 7mm mandrel but I don't see how that will work. The bit for the kit is 10mm. Am I missing something, will it work?
  9. TheLazyC

First Pen

Well, I brave the 18 degree temp, 10+ inches of snow and rode my ATV out to the shop to turn my first pen. Does any body have a kit removal tool? :gar-Bi The instructions did not say how far to press the transmission in, but I know now! So I turned a second set of blanks and made my second...
  10. TheLazyC

Tool name?

What is the tool called that you knock out he chuck on the lathe? Mine did not come with one and I need to find one so I can change the chuck.
  11. TheLazyC

First Photo Post

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=500&page=1&ppuser=5018 I posted some photos for the first time today and started my pen turning project. I glued up 5 pens for turning tomorrow if I can get through the 16" of snow that they keep calling for.
  12. TheLazyC

Turning Bowls

When I turned bowls 30 years ago, I screwed a plate to the bottom of the bowl and turned the bowl and then filed the 4 screw holes and sanded the bottom. I just watched a YouTube video and they used a chuck attachment. Is that the way it is done now? Do people still use the plate screwed to the...
  13. TheLazyC

Pen Stuff on the way

Ok, I have ordered everything I need to make my first 10 pens. Right now I only have about $97.42 per pen invested. So I will have to make a lot more to get that cost per pen down. And I am sure I left something out. And not to mention how much I will mess up.
  14. TheLazyC

Mandrel Size

I have a Delta 1440 Iron Bed Lathe and need to order a mandrel so I can start turning pens. I do not know what size to get the 1 MT or the 2 MT.
  15. TheLazyC

Drill Press for Pen Turning

This may be premature to ask since I have never turned a pen but I am getting all the info I can before I get started. I do not have a way to drill the holes for the two blanks so I figured it was time to add a drill press but looks like the cheap drill presses do not have enough travel to drill...
  16. TheLazyC

Another "green" woodworker

Well since I did not have anything to do on Thursday nights from 10:30pm until I thought I could take on yet one more new hobby... I was surfing the craigslist the other day and saw a lathe for sale and emailed to see if it was still available and how bad he really wanted to sell it. I had used...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors