Search results

1. petebucy4638

Dust Collection - Velocity Stack

I'm guessing that this is no big secret among wood turners, but I just found out about it recently after watching one of Mike Peace's YouTube videos. I used a 4", aluminum, velocity stack that is available on Amazon, with a 4" neoprene adapter. I have no way of measuring if it actually...
  2. petebucy4638

Vicmarc VM120 Chuck

The new Vicmarc VM120 chuck with stock jaws and a set of Shark-Jaws arrived today. (I haven't mounted the Shark-Jaws yet.) At 5.5" in diameter, it dwarfs my Record Power SC4 chucks (3-3/4"), and weigh considerably more too. The photo is a 3" ash blank mounted in the stock jaws that came with the...
  3. petebucy4638

Vicmarc VM120 Chuck

The largest of my two lathes is a Rikon 70-3040. It has a swing of 30." I have been using Record Power SC4 chucks and jaws with no problems. These are well constructed, nominal 4" chucks. However, I have been told that when turning larger, heavier timber, that a larger chuck, possibly a VM120...
  4. petebucy4638

Apple?

I'm preparing to take down a couple of apple trees. Is apple good for turning?
  5. petebucy4638

Dust Protection - CleanAir HEPA CA3

For many years, I wore either a disposable dust mask or a 3m dust mask with replaceable cartridges with safety glasses. When I started woodturning last year, I continued to use the same masks, now with a face shield. With a ceiling mounted whole-shop dust collector and an Oneida 3hp dust...
  6. petebucy4638

Oak turning blanks

My neighbor cut down a pretty decent sized oak. I started processing it into turning blanks today. I suspect that I will have enough timber from this tree to keep me busy on the lathe months. He has a nice dogwood that he is going to take down over the weekend. I like turning dogwood.
  7. petebucy4638

Shallawax?

I have seen a few pieces on Facebook that were finished with Shellawax. Supposedly it is made from shellac and waxes. I've read that the producer of the product recommends sanding well beyond the 400 grit that I normally use. Do any of you folks use this Finish?
  8. petebucy4638

Upgrade Cast Iron Tool Bar

If your lathe came with a cast iron tool rest, and my Record Power lathe did, then you know how soft cast iron is. It really takes a beating from HSS tools that don't have rounded edges. D-Way tools has come up with a solution using JB Weld epoxy and a 3/8" round HSS bar, M4, in the case of the...
  9. petebucy4638

New Tool Rack

My woodturning tools outgrew my first tool rack. The old one held 18 tools on the top section and another 18 on the lower shelf. The new rack holds 29 tools on the top section and another 29 on the lower shelf. A bit of drywall repair and paint, and everything should be back in good order again...
  10. petebucy4638

Bandsaw and Turning

Having started turning last year, I found myself doing a lot of spindle work at first, then adding in bowls and boxes, with a few platters and large plates. Not wanting to spend my time and effort turning sharp corners into sawdust, I would knock the corners off larger spindle blanks on the...
  11. petebucy4638

Bowl Gouge - 40/40 grind

I use the Carter and Son sharpening chart for my turning tools. For gouges, the Wolverine jig is set at 23 degrees and a 2" projection, with the angle varying depending on how you want to configure the tool. I have set up my bowl gouges at 50 degrees. My spindle gouges range from 45 degrees to...
  12. petebucy4638

A bad day with Ambrosia Maple

I started off the morning with a 4x4x8" long Ambrosia maple blank mounted on centers. After cutting the shape of the vessel, I discovered a very thin crack that ran almost the entire length of the timber from side to side. This was not a repairable, shallow crack. Nor was there any possibility...
  13. petebucy4638

Carbide Cutters for Oneway Coring System Knives.

I found a good source for replacement carbide cutters for Oneway coring knives. At $30.00 each, these cutters are less than half the cost of buying Oneway carbide cutters. They are very good cutters, at least as good, as what Oneway sells, and they are made right here in America! These cutters...
  14. petebucy4638

Bowl turning - dehydrator

I was looking at bowl turning videos on YouTube when I came across a video where a food dehydrator was used to reduce the moisture in a pretty wet, rough turned bowl, to very low numbers in under 24 hours. It looks like he might be on to something.
  15. petebucy4638

Board Buddies W1105 - Board Buddies Hold-Down Devices For Shapers - Green

Board Buddies W1105 - Board Buddies Hold-Down Devices For Shapers - Green - $50.00. Never used.
  16. petebucy4638

Steel City #35660 – (Co-Matic) Industrial Power Stock Feeder. SOLD!

1 HP, 220v, Single-Phase, 4.2/2.5 amps, 8-Speed, 4-Wheel Power Feeder. This machine has seen very little use and still has the original wheels mounted. The tech rep from Steel City said that the feeder was made by Co-Matic. It looks exactly like the Co-Matic AF48. $875.00
  17. petebucy4638

For Sale - Grizzly G1035 Heavy Duty Shaper (SOLD)

Grizzly G1035 1 ½ H.P. Heavy Duty Shaper The shaper is in excellent condition, very low hours – purchased for one project, still has the original sacrificial fences. Included ¾” and ½” spindles, bushings, router bit collet, dust hood, and cast-iron extension table. Currently wired for 120v, can...
  18. petebucy4638

Rikon 70-3040 Lathe & Oneway 24" Coring System

Does anyone know if the Oneway 24" coring system will work on a Rikon 70-3040 lathe? The reason that I ask is that this lathe has approximately a 23 5/8" swing. I have not read where the 24" Oneway stand has any room for height adjustment. If it doesn't, then the cutter on the Oneway coring tool...
  19. petebucy4638

Vacuum Chuck Adapter - Rikon 70-3040 Lathe

If you are looking for a vacuum chuck adapter for the Rikon 70-3040 Lath, Don at Rubberchucky.com has developed one. It uses o-rings instead of a tube, and it quicker to insert and remove than tube-type vacuum chuck adapters. Rubberchuck has a lot of rubber accessories for lathes, too - both for...
  20. petebucy4638

Vacuum Chuck

I have two lathes - a Rikon 70-3040 and a Record Power Coronet Herald. I want to set up the Rikon, and eventually the Record Power lathe with an air chuck. I have a good vacuum pump, but I'm having difficulty finding a vacuum adapter. Klingspor does not have any vacuum chuck parts listed on...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS