Search results

1. CatButler

Sign-up for Raleigh Sharpening and Handplane workshop

I would have liked to attend the workshop, but my family will be out of town next week and too many things got moved to the weekend. Maybe next time. Have fun.
  2. CatButler

What method do you use to sharpen your hand tools?

I'm late to the party, but I'll 2nd (or 3rd) Paul Seller's method. I'm transitioning to diamond stones as my waterstones wear out. I like the diamond because I don't have to flatten the stone or keep one flat for lapping the back. EZ lap or DMT are pretty cost effective. I think the...
  3. CatButler

Sign-up for Raleigh Sharpening and Handplane workshop

Re: Date for Raleigh Sharpening and Handplane workshop I missed the original thread, but I would be interested. Just pick a date that works for you all. Most weekends this summer are open.
  4. CatButler

Spring Pole Lathe

I actually did a treadle lathe, but I might consider a spring pole if I did it again. One of Roy Underhill's books had a plan for a spring pole that I would have based mine off of. The Woodwright's Eclectic Workshop. I think he might have a class on it at his school. Someone who used to post...
  5. CatButler

Shave Horse is done

Good job, very resourceful. It should go over well if you do demos. You didn't but much $ into it and the next one will be better. And you can probably reuse a bunch of stuff off the first. I need to make one, but I'm stuck in paralysis by analysis. Much better just to get something then...
  6. CatButler

Starrett 12" Combination Square - $55

Not an outstanding deal, but probably about 20% cheaper than I have seen anywhere else online. They also have some other Starrett stuff on clearance Starrett Combination Square - 12 in - 4R grad
  7. CatButler

Sketchup model of a holdfast

Wow, that's really looks great. How long did it take you to do that? I've tried playing with Sketchup, but nothing about it seems intuitive, but people seem to do great things with so obviously I'm not thinking about it correctly.
  8. CatButler

New to woodworking!

+1 I know from experience working with hickory is rough with just hand tools, especially if you are new to them. It's very hard to saw and tears out easily when planing. Popular woodworking has an I can build that series of I can build that. I like the idea of practicing by building things...
  9. CatButler

Reported Post by CatButler

CatButler has reported a post. Reason: Post: Who am I? Forum: Who We Are Assigned Moderators: TracyP Posted by: pololol Original Content:
  10. CatButler

Ryobi 13" planer $137 @ Apex Home Depot

Not sure this is a deal at any price, but they had a 1 13" planer left @ $137. Can't remember the original price but it was above $250. Do some research. Read the reviews. I am trying to decide whether to by a planer, and I passed at that price. Apex HD @ HW55 & HW 64
  11. CatButler

Apex Home Depot 1 Gal. Kerosene $3.36

It looks like Apex Home Depot is clearing out their K-1 Kerosene in 1 gallon metal cans. I am not sure what you can get kerosene for at the gas station, especially this year since it hasn't been that cold, but last year, that was a pretty good price. Plastic containers were $10+/gallon.
  12. CatButler

It's Roy's Fault

Look's great. I love the splayed legs. Hand tools are always fun to play with. I love the design, not a lot of surface area, so you don't have to flatten long boards, and if you rive your own stock, you can get it close to it's final size before a plane has to touch it. Not sure I'm ready to...
  13. CatButler

Grizzly discount coupon

I've gotten codes from here Grizzly Industrial, Inc. Coupon Codes - all coupons, discounts and promo codes for grizzly.com These may be out of date, there may not be any for 2012 yet. Last time got me free shipping on some parts.
  14. CatButler

MWTCA meeting in Hillsborough 1/14 - Who's going?

I found a flyer in my email Registration starts @ 7:30 $10 members, $5 nonmembers 9:45 Business meeting 10-11 Program - Toolmaking Tom Calisto- Handmade tools and metal working with a focus on backsaws I'm looking forward to...
  15. CatButler

I'm actually not a member, but I was thinking it's time I fixed that. It's usually at the Big Barn Convention Center in Hillsborough, but I can't find anything to confirm that. The Shops at Daniel Boone - Hillsborough, North Carolina Hopefully a member will post and help clarify things.
  16. CatButler

I'll be there. For the first time in a while I don't have anything special I'm looking for.
  17. CatButler

Buckeye burl

My co-worker has had good results with all three of these CURLY MAPLE WOOD, BLACK WALNUT LUMBER items in jswoodz store on eBay! items in roxy342269 store on eBay! http://www.walnutwoods.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2 He says its not the driest wood, but was...
  18. CatButler

Buckeye burl

A guy I work with made some flutes from some. I will check with him when I get back to work Tuesday.
  19. CatButler

Bench Clamp Selection

+1 on what's been said about the 9". I had one like the 7" when I was starting out and was never able to get it flush on my bench properly. I eventually just took it off. You are correct about "Chisel Bite". Every time I have seriously stabbed myself with a chisel, it as been because I...
  20. CatButler

Need help for cutter in a tenon brace bit

I don't have your answer, but I maybe I can direct you to a better source. This should probably go in hand tools, but I'm not sure we have that much expertise sitting around. A good resource in something like this is the Old Tools Mailing list. It's a bit of old school internet, but that...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS