Search results

1. Bugle

Walking stick finish

My grandsons who live in Oregon want me to make them walking sticks. I found a nice eastern red cedar that has been dead for a year or so and I like it because of the color and weight. My question is about a finish. I want to make them as waterproof as possible since I know they will be using...
  2. Bugle

Bark Preservation

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I used Titebond and a pin nailer to secure the bark (thanks Wiley for that advice). Some of the bark was really loose, so I removed it, cleaned the back side and glued it, wrapped with a strap, and nailed it back on. On some of the places where it was just...
  3. Bugle

Bark Preservation

What's the best way to get rid of bugs if I find them?
  4. Bugle

Bark Preservation

Not kiln dried. It's been in my friend's shed for 20+ years. Moisture meter reading is 13%.
  5. Bugle

Bark Preservation

Great idea with the pin nailer. Thanks. Some of the bark is loose in places, so I think I will try to carefully remove them, clean, and epoxy back on.
  6. Bugle

Bark Preservation

I was gifted a persimmon slab that is about 3 1/2 " thick and about 8 ' long. I plan on planing it down and making a mantle for my daughter. The bark has such character that I would like to preserve it if possible. I've never tried it before and would appreciate any suggestions. Here's what...
  7. Bugle

Trout Net Build

This one: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/trout-landing-net.71714/
  8. Bugle

Latest Turnings

I was at Charlie's a few weeks ago. See if this link works. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1noA3KZgUGUSSVKCLVwm_WW8O2z0VNHtW
  9. Bugle

Grizzly spindle sander

This can't be legit. https://www.bvcder.com/product/blackfriday-grizzly-industrial-1-hp-oscillating-spindle-sander/
  10. Bugle

Stainable Exterior Wood Filler

My neighbor is installing some 6x6 treated posts for a customer. She wants to stain the posts and they have some large cracks that need to be filled. Is there a stainable exterior wood filler? Thanks in advance.
  11. Bugle

Sold a wood burning

I had the picture printed on plain paper at Office Depot and traced the image on to the wood with graphite paper. I only trace about 2 square inches at a time, otherwise it becomes overwhelming. I also move around a little so I'm not working on the same thing for long periods of time. My...
  12. Bugle

Sold a wood burning

Several years ago I did a small (8x10) burning of this picture that I took at Holden Beach. After showing it and other burnings to friends and family, they said that I should try to sell something. I've done houses, dogs, landscapes, fish, candle holders, turned bowls, portraits (which are...
  13. Bugle

Trout Landing Net

I have put it to good use:
  14. Bugle

Wood Recommendation Request

Good advice on wood choices. For painting, I would use a velour roller. I've refinished several bathroom cabinets and am very pleased with smooth finish. I used Benjamin Moore Advance paint.
  15. Bugle

Rainbow Carving

Haven't done any carving in a while (and I still consider myself a novice), but was inspired by doing some fly fishing in Boone (my youngest son and his wife have a cabin in Boone right on the New River...also on AirBnb). I used cutoffs from some 2x4's for the fish and the rocks. The fish is...
  16. Bugle

Coloring wood burnings

Here's a real rainbow. My son sent this to me. Caught it in Boone today. Jealous!
  17. Bugle

Coloring wood burnings

Thanks everyone!
  18. Bugle

Coloring wood burnings

Decided to try my hand at adding color to a wood burning. I used water color pencils, but instead of water, I used rubbing alcohol to avoid raising the grain of the wood.
  19. Bugle

Trout Landing Net

Done! Fun project. Learned some things along the way such as next time cut the strips longer so they run the entire length of the handle. As you can see from the previous picture, I ended up with a gap between the strips and the handle. My remedy was to continue the "gap" all the way around...
  20. Bugle

Trout Landing Net

Glue up. Painters tape coated with paste wax to prevent the glue from sticking where I don't want.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors