Search results

1. B

Need inexpensive windows for tree fort

On the playhouse I built for my kids about five years ago, I have all lexan windows that I made myself. Just routed the slots in what otherwise looks sort of like a cabinet door, used the lexan caulking to hold it in and none of them have broken. I think the window frames are made of poplar...
  2. B

New Lathe, New Chisel - tear out?

You did sharpen your chisels right? Factory sharp does not always equal sharp.
  3. B

Any advise in purchasing/ setting up a VFD?

Is the VFD setup really going to be cheaper and more reliable than the rotary phase converter? All the VFD's I've ever used for work did not appreciate being fed just one phase power, and I haven't seen any that had a built in voltage transformer to increase voltage. They all seemed capable of...
  4. B

Replacing deck boards

I have a trex deck that I built about threee years ago, after they supposedly fixed the problem with mildew and mold growing on it. Not really the case, after I clean the deck, it only takes 2-3 months before the dark spots return (all over the deck, looks really bad). Didn't have that problem...
  5. B

$800 What lathe do I buy?

I picked up the Delta earlier this year on sale from Woodcraft to start my downward spiral into turning. It's a good machine and I expect it to last me a very long time. The problem is that it was only about half of what I spent to get started in turning. The tools, special grinder, pen...
  6. B

Replacing deck boards

You need to make sure that the strength of the decking material is suitable for the span of the joists. Angled decking requires closer joists than perpendicular ones. Same thing goes for 5/4" vs 2" thick decking as the maximum span is not the same.
  7. B

Jet 15 Planer - $100 (Rocky Mount)

Re: Jet 15 Planer - $200 (Rocky Mount) That planer bed doesn't look quite parallel to the cutter housing does it?... Almost like it got dropped hard.
  8. B

HELP The vortex has me

I just started circling around the eternal whirlpool a little over a month ago myself. Someone on this board posted this link on another thread to a supplier that I've used once so far and seems to have good prices and selection. http://www.woodturningz.com/Pen_Kits.aspx
  9. B

Rough Cut Walnut $1 / bf

If I wasn't heading out of town first thing tomorrow morning, I might have a different take on this... Maybe if someone gets most or all of this I can get some of it. I think this is from the same guy that sold the mahogany and the zebrawood. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mat/2250874684.html
  10. B

RAS Gloat

You might want to check the recall list. I know a lot of the old Craftsman RAS were recalled or required some add on safety features with a kit they sent out. We didn't find out about it until after my dad nearly lost some fingertips (lots of stitches) due to the reason for the recall.
  11. B

Lumber Run - member request list for Af. Mahogany

Put me down for 50 on the Mahoghany please (hopefully the fact that I was the OP on it will help on the request :wwink: ). I'll also pick up a couple boards of zebra wood for doing pen and other small item things, so mill damaged boards shouldn't be a problem.
  12. B

CL N. Raleigh Air-dried White Oak $2.50/l.ft.

I like the "random widths" part, its like pulling the handle on the slot machine if you're only paying for length.
  13. B

Grizzly G0690 Problem

If the arbor that your bolt tightens against to hold your blade in place isn't perfectly flat that could probably happen. Its an easy fix too, just flatten the face of it by rubbing it on some sandpaper on a hard flat surface and it should sit straight afterwards rather than cupping the blade.
  14. B

Jet 16" planer - $500

Its a jet 16" planer, claimed to be almost new for 500 bucks. Retail on it is around 1600 I believe. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/2229757783.html
  15. B

CL wood cutting

I'll admit it didn't look like it really belonged in the "materials" category. There was no specific contact info on the original ad other than the generic CL email either. But it did look like some easy money for someone with a little time on their hands and tools that many here would have.
  16. B

CL wood cutting

Found this on Craigslist in Raleigh. Looks like someone just needs some lumber cut to size and will pay for it. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mat/2214160881.html
  17. B

seller liability

I find it hard to believe that you would have liability issues unless the chair broke within the first couple days. So assuming that it is built properly you shouldn't run into problems. That being said, this might be something that would be covered under some type of "umbrella" homeowners...
  18. B

Cary Area Lunch Bunch Tuesday 2/8/11

I should be able to make it (assuming nothing hits the fan at work this morning...)
  19. B

High Ceilings

~12 ft in my garage shop, and its a bit darker than I would like...
  20. B

Sawstop $1500 on CL (Durham)

If that's the exact saw and components you're looking for its a good deal. But if you are compromising by getting it then it probably isn't for you. Without the accessories or tax its only 100 bucks less than regular price.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS