Search results

1. aplpickr

WNC "Mid-Winter Blahs" Picnic Updated with.... PICTURES!

Re: WNC "Mid-Winter Blahs" Picnic Wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last week. Nine weeks of chemo then surgery then another nine weeks chemo. We will not be there. It was such a BLAST last year. Have fun.
  2. aplpickr

Drying Wild Cherry Limb ?

Talk to the BIG woodworker in the sky, REAL HARD!
  3. aplpickr

Looking for bowl gouge

Most people that start turning and quickly stop do so because of lack of sharpening skills. You will probably need to sharpen before your first project is finished. Very quickly take a sharpening class or find a mentor that can teach you how. Your first project should not be a bowl. Simple...
  4. aplpickr

Looking for bowl gouge

One or two parts per thousand in the alloy can be the difference between so-so steel and great steel. Chinese quality control is not that good. Chinese turning sets of eight for $20 are not the way to go. If you do, your grinding time will increase by a factor of about SIX! How fast does your...
  5. aplpickr

Looking for bowl gouge

I took a weekend turning class at Arrowmont a couple of years ago. I had a 3/8" Crown bowl gouge, a 1/2" Crown bowl gouge, and a new Woodriver 1/2" bowl gouge. I switched gouges when they got dull. The Woodriver required TWICE as much sharpening as the Crowns. I love Thompson steel, it is worth...
  6. aplpickr

Thoughts on Easy Wood Turning Tools?

My wife has been turning for at least 11 years. Everything she turns is small and from dry, kiln dried wood. She concentrates on pens and Christmas ornaments. She uses a steel roughing gouge, and 98% of her turning is done with a combination of EWT and Hunter tools. She does not get tear out...
  7. aplpickr

Please educate a novice spindle turner - process sequence? hole boring? work holding?

I use the tapered tail stock shown above. They are cheap and available from most turning supplies. It will fit any size hole that you bore and will center the piece to that hole. Any square or hex brass can be used for a ferrule. It can be turned with any of your woodturning chisels. Make hole a...
  8. aplpickr

What brands of drill bits do you use?

Colt maxi forstners! Expensive but worth every penny. Especially drilling endgrain on a lathe. Your time is the most valuable thing that you buy. Try drilling a 1"+ hole in a pepper grinder, you won't ever go back! You will throw your woodcraft's away. Because I am drilling in clean, virgin...
  9. aplpickr

Hello From Tallahassee

Telling a resident of Tallahassee to GO GATORS is an insult. He is in the home of some of the best football in the South! The Seminoles have beaten both the UF and UM for four years straight!
  10. aplpickr

How to handle an oops on the lathe!!!

Most turners have a bowl graveyard somewhere close. It can bring back memories that you don't want to repeat. Learn to make jewelry from those busted scraps or leaf ornaments for Christmas trees.
  11. aplpickr

Latest Turnings

Amazing work! Are you actually human? When do you find time to eat and sleep?
  12. aplpickr

Bowl Gouge Grinding Help

Definitely spend less time in the center. The opposite problem of a pointed tip can occur when not enough time is spent at the tip.
  13. aplpickr

Spalted?

I am not arguing with Sara's scientific treatise on spalting. My earlier comments about differences between spalting and ambrosia are based on how most wood suppliers in the Southeast usually label their offerings and symposium instant galleries also in Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Kentucky, and...
  14. aplpickr

Spalted?

I would call it spalted, but not wormy or ambrosia. Ambrosia usually has brown stains. I see no evidence of worm holes (could be due to picture quality). Spalted seems to be simply moldy wood without any beetle action. Spalting normally causes downgrading of the wood. Ambrosia, except for...
  15. aplpickr

options for turning tools?

The hollow grind from an 8" wheel lasts longer than the hollow grind from a 6" wheel. The differences are in thousandths and slight degrees but you will spend less time turning with a 6" wheel! Do you want to turn or grind? On a skew, grind it on a wheel, then hone it until hollow grind...
  16. aplpickr

Variable Speed Conversion

Did the kit conversion several years ago. It worked very well. Before starting turn the centering guide post. Some say it is under-powered, I turned a 8" diameter red maple bowl with a 5/8" diameter bowl gouge. I could not stall it even though I tried. Still works fine
  17. aplpickr

Mid Winter Blahs Picnic 2017 - Date Poll

Schedule it on the day with the least SNOW! We want Hank to be there!
  18. aplpickr

Forstner bits and variation

Colt Maxi Forstner bits are the best for boring endgrain on a lathe. Their price scares most away, buy one and you will NEVER go back! They are worth every penny of their high price. We have replaced every one of our bits over several years with Maxis. Boring pepper mills takes forever with...
  19. aplpickr

"IF" I was to buy a small lathe?

Woodturning is the only form of woodworking that can start with rough wood and in ten minutes have a complete and finished object worth $20/25. This is part of the vortex. No planer, no jointer, no paint brush, no waiting time for finish to dry! INSTANT GRATIFICATION.
  20. aplpickr

"IF" I was to buy a small lathe?

Over the years: the people who drop out of turning early do not know how to sharpen. Turning with a dull edge is WORK! Turning should be FUN. You should get tired from standing. Allan Hollar, from the Boone area, sold me my first tools at Packards. A skew, a bowl gouge, a parting tool, a...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors