Search results

1. S

Curved Handrail

WARNING: Lots of text and photos. ;) Building a Bent Handrail This is a project for a home theater. I have a BUNCH of customized fixtures and mouldings all over this room. This is one more customization to add to the look. This was one of the more difficult projects I've ever tackled...
  2. S

Rikon 14" 1HP bandsaw $300 Raleigh CL (West Cary)

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/2386995610.html Rikon 1 HP 14" bandsaw with base - $300 (west Cary) Date: 2011-05-17, 4:58PM EDT Reply to: sale-p4tzd-2386995610@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Rikon 14" bandsaw. 1 HP motor. 6" cutting capacity. This is NOT the Deluxe...
  3. S

Hidden screw systems for decks and wet PT lumber

I didn't want to hijack another thread, so I'm starting from this: George or others: Do you have an opinion on using the hidden screw jigs/systems with wet PT lumber? I'm considering the CAMO, but then I noticed that it creates a 3/16" gap. I haven't bought any lumber yet, but I've always...
  4. S

DQ not accepted at Klingspor :(

I finally had an opportunity to use my NCWW discount at Klingspor, but I'm apparently not on the list submitted by NCWW. I've been carrying around the DQ cards for a little over a year, but I guess to no avail. :/
  5. S

Latest drum; project for niece

**EDIT 3/19/2011: I reheaded/relaced the drum today. New photo added. Also shows the rattles I made. ----- My niece likes the celtic drums I make ("bodhrans") and asked if I could make her a drum for her Indian Princess (YMCA) "tribe." I got some magnolia from BobN last June (he...
  6. S

Rockler: Urethane wheels $1.99 (69% off)

DEEP discount. Not bad price IMO... especially with bearings. Would come to about $13 for three with S/H. Less great of a deal, but if you're already shopping there.... ;) http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30216
  7. S

Cherry Burl Mushroom Box

Cherry burl mushroom box. From burl I harvested last winter. Stands 4" tall. Cap (lid) is 5-1/4" diameter. Finished in semi-gloss Arm-R-Seal.
  8. S

CL N. Raleigh Air-dried White Oak $2.50/l.ft.

Woodworkers; White Oak Air Dried - $2 (N. Raleigh) Date: 2011-02-23, 12:20PM EST Reply to: sale-8ejqu-2230242028@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Gorgeous White Oak, Air Dried, 4/4 8 Ft. lengths, Random Widths. $2.50 a Lineal Foot. Call Teddy: 919-870-7707 or e-mail...
  9. S

CL Raleigh Cabinet shop going out of business

Cabinet shop going out of business selling tools - $1 (Raleigh) Date: 2011-02-23, 2:08PM EST Reply to: sale-ydqzb-2230501858@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Cabinet shop going out of business and selling tools. I have routers, router bits, hand tools, spray equipment...
  10. S

Troubles with the skew? Try using your foot!

A man at work shared this with me. He comes from Morocco, where street-side craftsmen use bow lathes. I like how uses his toes for two different actions-- little toes help push his foot along the piece, and the bigger toes guide the skew. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnv0DAR_gWA
  11. S

ShopSmith Owners: Anyone have the speed reducer?

I was wondering if any ShopSmith owners here have the speed reducer? I attempted to turn a huge piece of wood a couple months ago, and it was definitely too out of balance for the lowest speed. It's a bit pricey for me with my current level of interest in turning, but wanted to get some...
  12. S

Yet Another Wand ;)

OK, ok... so another wand. :icon_cheers So I had so much fun making the marblewood wand, I decided to make another. (Yes, Dan (dlrion), they are popular!) ...note to you guys who do fairs/shows: the Harry Potter thing may be slightly waning, but I suspect you could sell these easily at...
  13. S

The Last Marblewood Wand of 2010

For a friend's daughter. I've been wanting to make a wand for a while. Watching a J.K. Rowling interview on Oprah yesterday got me inspired to conjure up one. I'm stepping out on a limb here, but I think it's safe to say this is the very last marblewood wand manufactured anywhere during 2010...
  14. S

Matthias Wandel demos his Pantorouter

Matthias Wandel explains and demonstrates his new template-copying pantorouter. (12/23) EDIT: Some new videos added: Cutting dovetail joints on the pantorouter Large mortise and tenon on the pantorouter (12/31) EDIT: Another video: Building a palm router mount for the pantorouter
  15. S

8 hours from log to gift - Bottle Stopper Rack

Ok... a pretty simple project, but I wanted to post it in case it gives anyone else an idea. (I really need a better camera). Last week, an employee asked if I might be able to make a rack to display her Santa Claus bottle stopper collection. It took about 8 hours on Saturday, which included...
  16. S

Matthias Wandel: How to make a 3D reindeer on a bandsaw and bonus Sketchup How-To

Matthias Wandel with another interesting video. How to make a 3D reindeer on a bandsaw AND for those of you who haven't played with Sketchup, he gives a GREAT demo showing some of what it's good for... simple and powerful design tool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PGXbgQTNv8 And his website...
  17. S

My First *Completed* Bowl; Cherry Burl

First, I would like to thank the real artisans here for inspiring me to try my hand at bowl turning. I've been doing spindle turning for a while, but decided it was time to take the plunge since I had this beautiful burl ready to be hacked up-- Yes.... my first bowls are out of burl. I...
  18. S

Face Shield recommendation? Any to avoid?

Looking for feedback/recommendations for a face shield for turning. Just the regular ol' shield is fine for me.... Example: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080838/29193/Adjustable-Face-Shield.aspx I'm definitely not interested in air shields. I'd like to keep it under $25ish... Looking...
  19. S

Request for Assistance: South Wake Co.--Sharpening tutor

I would like to know if anyone in the South Wake County area would volunteer an hour or so of tutoring help THIS WEEKEND in the use of a standard bench grinder and a wolverine-style jig... a homemade jig would be MUCH preferred!! I am planning on making a sharpening jig for my turning chisels...
  20. S

Matthias Wandel: Dovetails on a bandsaw

Cutting dovetail joints on his homemade bandsaw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauPLATMPok

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors