Search results

1. S

Magnolia For Turning

I've only used it for one project, but it turned very easily: Turned Drum from Magnolia I did note that of the several types of green wood I've collected, it was the most prone to splitting during the drying process. Some pieces cleaved like a maul was driven through it. Definitely seal well!!
  2. S

Carcinogens - Eight Substances Added To The List

Ah. I see. The link to the full report, Fact Sheets, etc. is at the bottom of the article. I understand what you're saying though. Unfortunately, a subject based on statistical probability is not something easily packaged for consumption to the general public. How dumb do you make it when...
  3. S

Carcinogens - Eight Substances Added To The List

Hyperbole aside, saccharin was delisted as a suspected cancer causing agent when it was discovered that rodents were not a good analogue for humans, due to biochemical differences (i.e., the bladder cancer detected in test rodents was due to factors not found in humans). That aside, the vast...
  4. S

First of my latest form to be finished

Love the wood. Love the finish. Another nice form, Jack. You must have a LOT of that maple (based on all the ones you shared in March). What's your finish?
  5. S

HF Parking Lot Sale June 10,11,& 12

Check out their online reviews for it. Very good ratings for the most part: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/reciprocating-saws/6-amp-reciprocating-saw-with-rotating-handle-65570.html I have an earlier one of their recip saws that was also on sale for $20. The blade that came with it...
  6. S

Plumbers Ferrule on Tool Handle

I use copper end caps. I like the look of the shoulder. I drill a hole in the center of the end cap to match the size of whatever tooling will be inserted in the handle. Makes of a clean look, IMO.
  7. S

Curved Handrail

Thanks, Robert. I appreciate it.... my entire home theater is filled with things that I built to overcome some obstacle or to hide something like the furnace, DVD storage, or even a window. (I'll see if I can pull together photos for another thread on that).
  8. S

Curved Handrail

Thanks, guys, for the comments. Glenn-- let's say I know when to back away... but it might take me a while to admit total defeat. I had so many challenges when building this theater, that most people can't believe I'd even bother. Example-- I have a gas pack in the room (attic) with a vent...
  9. gaspackvent

gaspackvent

10. S

Curved Handrail

WARNING: Lots of text and photos. ;) Building a Bent Handrail This is a project for a home theater. I have a BUNCH of customized fixtures and mouldings all over this room. This is one more customization to add to the look. This was one of the more difficult projects I've ever tackled...
  11. Ray_Smith_s_white_oak1

Ray_Smith_s_white_oak1

12. 22_installed

22_installed

13. 21_installed

21_installed

14. 20_installed

20_installed

15. 19_finishedrail

19_finishedrail

16. 18_turning

18_turning