Search results

1. drw

Grandfather Clock

I have been working on a grandfather clock for several months; it is proving to be an interesting but challenging build. The challenges have been several - starting with the actual plans which are often a bit difficult to interpret. The bonnet moulding also proved to be interesting as well as...
  2. drw

Byrd Shelix Cutter for DeWalt 735 Planer: A Question?

Attended the Klingspor Extravaganza this weekend -- great event, great time and some good deals. With respect the good deals, I purchased a Shelix Cutter; I have wanted to pull this trigger for a longtime and finally did this weekend. I installed it today and it works great. I do have one...
  3. drw

Stool Rehab

About a year ago I posted about the stool that I built with my then 10 year old grandson. That particular construction lasted about 9 months before the loose tenons began to become unglued. While I have successfully used dominos for many years in other projects, I didn't factor in the level of...
  4. drw

Jewelry Boxes

Jewelry boxes for my wife, daughter and daughter-in-law have been on my to-do list for several years and I finally got around to it. The two boxes with dovetail splines (daughter/daughter-in-law) are made from sapele with hard maple tops and splines, while the center box is mahogany with a hard...
  5. drw

Jointer Electrical Question: UPDATE

My five year old Grizzly 490X jointer is having issues. When I start it, it will run 10 to 15 seconds then stop, when the reset button is engaged, the machine will run 10 to 15 seconds and stop again. I called Grizzly Technical support and they suggested that it is one of two issues: 1)...
  6. drw

A Day to Remember!

Yesterday was a big day for our friend and fellow woodworker, Phil Soper. With perhaps some of his best work yet, he managed to win the heart of Margaret. Here are a few pictures of their wedding, which took place on the beach at Ocean Isle. I know I speak for all of us when I say that we wish...
  7. drw

Console Table: Finished

A few months ago, my daughter asked if I would build her a console table. When asked what she had in mind she sent me a picture. At first glance I thought it would be a relatively simple but interesting project, but it proved to be far more "interesting" than I originally thought. While I won't...
  8. drw

Not the Brightest Bulb on the Tree

Yesterday I was reminded, yet again, that I am not the brightest bulb on the tree. This time it happened as I was changing paper on my drum sander. I use the drum sander frequently, so changing paper is not an uncommon task. That said, when I rolled the new paper on I was way off when I reached...
  9. drw

Handplane Till

In order to free up additional drawer space I wanted to build a wall till for my planes with a modified a plan from The Wood Whisperer. The only restrictions I imposed on myself was that I wanted to build it with materials I had on hand, no trips to Klingspor, Home Depot, etc. All things...
  10. drw

Nightstand

My daughter-in-law requested that I build her a nightstand with "legs" because it needed to be placed in front of a floor vent. She provided a couple of pictures to serve as inspiration, but I thought they were a little too modern looking...basically a rectangular box on legs. That said, I...
  11. drw

River (Frozen) Table Finished!

The idea for this project started with postings by Jeremy (Jeremy) and John (JohnnyR) when they posted their RIver/Lake projects involving epoxy pours. I was intrigued by the beauty of their projects and began to wonder what I could do. My original thought was to do something small, but when I...
  12. drw

Grandson and His Stool

This past week I spent time with one of my grandsons (10 years old) in the shop. While he wanted to build something, he wasn't quite sure what; his first thought was a bow and arrow, his second option was a sword. After I suggested that he consult with his Mom, they determined that a stool...
  13. drw

Assembly & Storage Table

When I built my basement shop (heated and cooled with a mini-split system), my wife asked if she could have a very small area in the shop to store some of her more prized decorations that do not store well in the attic. She has always been very supportive of my woodworking hobby and the...
  14. drw

Suggestions Needed

I am in the process of repairing the top of a cedar chest that has been in the family since the 1940's (supposedly it was the first piece furniture my parents bought). The chest now belongs to my son, but in the process of moving, one of his fellow marines accidentally cut a deep gouge on the...
  15. drw

Knife Stand

Before I discuss the knife stand, let me give you a little of the back story regarding the knife. As some of you may recall, I enjoy building model sailing ship from kits; I am fascinated with the era of sail and those that sailed. One of the pastimes enjoyed by some of the old-time seamen was...
  16. drw

Music Box/Jewelry Box

This project has been on my "to do" list for several years. Earlier I made a similar box for my older granddaughter, so naturally I was obligated to eventually make a box for her sister "Kate". The box is small but challenging; I haven't had much recent experience with small components with...
  17. drw

Dulcimer

Several weeks ago, Jim Creasman brought a beautifully crafted dulcimer that he had recently completed to one of the NCWW RDU Lunches. My wife loved it and asked if I would build one for her. It looked like an interesting project, plus Jim said it only took him a couple of weeks...so, I said...
  18. drw

RDU-Lunch: Friday

Phil asked if I would post that the RDU lunch is this Friday (August 20) at the MacGregor Draft House (11:30 a.m.). As most everyone knows, the restaurant is right across the parking lot from Klingspor, so come for lunch and then shop for whatever is needed at Klingspor. We hope to see you Friday!
  19. drw

Molding Bit: Where To Find

I need to replace a couple of cabinet doors in my kitchen, but in order to do this I will need to put molding around the interior edges of the raised panel doors. The edge is shaped like the screen grab that I have posted below. Is this molding made from a specific router bit or does it involve...
  20. drw

Pictures of Canoe Launch: It Floats!

Today, at long last, we actually launched the canoe. About 12 of our friends (including two fellow woodworkers Phil S and Charlie) were in attendance and served as witnesses and potential lifeguards. Phil was the official photographer, consequently I have pictures to share. In one of the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS