Search results

1. E

Allen wrench Stand/Holder

I've had that Martin, for over 5-6 years, wouldn't be without it .You have to be meticulous about returning the wrench to the stand, or it is worthless. The "T" handle on the top gives you a lot of leverage.
  2. E

Trustworthy Measurement Tools

I followed the advice of a good friend and very good woodworker, now deceased. I purchased 2 squares from an art shop. they are known as being dead on. I have referenced all my squares to one of these drafting tools. Found a couple of squares in my inventory that were clearly NOT square. I keep...
  3. E

Trustworthy Measurement Tools

I was taught early on to use the same tape measure and the same square throught the entire project, thereby eliminating the difference in the tools themselves
  4. E

Bandsaw Blades

I need new band saw blades, specifically 95" x 3/8th". I haven't had to buy new blades in a long while' so I am asking what are your favorite blades? Appreciate your input, Ed
  5. E

Aftermarket TS options - recommendations welcome

I have a Unisaw that I rebuilt from the early 50's, and I replaced the Jet Lock fence with a Delta T Square fence, and have never looked back. Might not be right for you, as the rails are only 30" long. Home Depot has the package for sale for $205.
  6. E

Learning about Finishes

Jim, About 5 years ago I bought Bob Flexner's "Understanding Wood Finishing", and it has made all the difference for me in my finishing schedule for different types of wood. I keep the book in my shop, and use it often. It has never steered me wrong. Check Amazon, Ebay, used book sites for a...
  7. E

Looking for older motor starter

If you haven't already, you might take a look at the OWWM.org site. Lots of restorations, and a classified section where you might find the starters you are searching for. I do some machine restorations, and have found the site invaluable. Ed
  8. E

What color to paint my walls

I painted some of the same older fake wood paneling about 10 years ago, and learned a valuable lesson. Prime the paneling with a shellac based white primer. Without it the paint won't adhere well, and all the knots and some grain will bleed through.
  9. E

Grizzly Bandsaw

I have a Griz G0555P (it's the Polar edition...painted white), but it is about 8 years old. I put a riser block on it,and have had no problems whatsoever. I cannot remember where I got the riser block and kit...prob from Griz. Tensioning and blade tracking adjustments have been a breeze. If I...
  10. E

Band saw whoops

I also agree with Mike, and I would suggest new blades as well as a complete re-set up of your saw. Looks like the blade has been nibbling away at that insert before this incident. Ed
  11. E

clear finish

To expand a bit on what Henry W. said, here is what I do: For painting a wood piece, I use Acrylic enamel. It is water based, so clean up is easy. But in semi gloss and gloss, it dries hard, and needs no added clear base. I use Sherwin Williams, or Behr. Knots need to be primed as indicated by...
  12. E

Antique 36" Crescent bandsaw... soliciting opinions for purchase

You might want to check in over at owwm.org (old woodworking machines). It is a great community of "old arn" lovers and restorers. Start a conversation over there (the same post would work well) and you are sure to get some good suggestions and more information about your saw. )Of course, I need...
  13. E

New tablesaw

For the past 40 years or so, I have used Johnsons Paste Wax. Apply it, put a little muscle to work it in a bit. Let it dry to a haze, and wipe iut off using a clean, dry rag. I do this every3-4 months or so. I also keep an old Harbor Freight moving blanket thrown over the saw when not in use...
  14. E

Removing Peel & Stick Floor Tile Residue

I was in your place about 10 years or so ago. I wasted a few $$ trying to remove it, ended up with 1/8" luan and construction adhesive, then the new floor. still in good shape.
  15. E

Loss of a Son

Our prayers and condolences sent
  16. E

Grain keeps rising after top coat

What Redknife said above, I had a similar experience, and found this https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishes-retail/water-based-topcoats-and-sanding-sealer/enduro-var-water-based-urethane Ed
  17. E

Tighten up legs?

If the chair legs were loose, the joint was made worse by the use of nails. I recommend epoxy. Epoxy is gap filling, and creates a very strong bond. I have had very good luck with both Loctite 5 minute epoxy, and Gorilla Glue 5 minute epoxy. Both have a 5 minute open time, and cure in an hour...
  18. E

Small bandsaw

You might check out the new Grizzly 9" band saw. Looks like a good offering; all metal, integrated light and dust port, cast aluminum wheels, etc. Gets great reviews on the Grizzly website. $199. If I was in the market, I would consider it very seriously. Good luck in your search. Ed
  19. E

What was your FIRST WW'ing project?

My first actual "project" was a string holder for my Mom. This was back when string was used quite a bit around the house. My Dad bought me a pattern book with actual size patterns for small projects. I cut them out, traced then onto wood, cut them out from the wood, nailed the parts, and...
  20. IMG_19571

IMG_19571

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS