Search results

1. my stuff

my stuff

work pics
  2. christmas gifts

christmas gifts

3. M

Input on cordless impact drivers please

I got hooked on impact drivers using my friends Makita 14.4V. It virtually eliminated rounding out Philips screws. Being the cheap one, I got the Ryobi 18V. All my cordless tools are now the Ryobi 1+ system. It just makes economic sense. It is more powerful than the Makita, not that it matters...
  4. M

Router Comparison

Sears is a step up from Harbor Freight (sometimes). Ryobi is a step up from B&D, Skil, and most all intro level brands. If I only had 100 to spend on an all around router, I would only consider the Ryobi plunge. Unless I got a great deal on a used plunge. Ryobi makes the best cheap tools...
  5. M

Porter Cable 890

If you just hate PC, then let it go. Nothing will convince you of the quality. I have misgivings about Dewalt because their miter saws used to get out of adjustment easily and their cordless tool kits weren't as reliable as the current Ryobi's. Ask anyone here about Craftsman. Brand asphyxia can...
  6. M

TS Fence

Beware the Griz alumiclassic extended fence. The long rails are thin gauge extruded aluminum. The short rails are box steel, though. The regular classic is just about the same as a beismeyer. If memory serves, I think the fences of these two are interchangeble with the rails. They adjust the...
  7. M

Price for installing hardwood floors-eastern NC

Not only do you have to be sure that the slab is "above grade", but you have to make sure that you have a perfect moisture barrier. Concrete will wick up moisture from the ground. The most common interior moisture barrier is to put 6 mil polyethelene on the ground below the slab. In addition to...
  8. M

Lvlp

Does anyone here have experience with lvlp conversion guns? I have used the hvlp, but my 6.5 cfm @ 90 psi compresser would work hard to go as fast as I can spray. I am considering buying the cheap lvlp kit on the back of the Griz catalog to experiment. I would use it mostly for cat laq.
  9. M

moisture meter

It's not a pinto, but it is a jeep. The timber checker (pin type, no digital stuff) has been around for ever. It has a comprehensive chart to convert readings for wood that does not have the same conduction as normal hardwoods for this area. It is accurate (with a little skill), and it never...
  10. M

Finishing the inside of boxes

If anyone steals this, I'm in trouble. First, the problem. To reap the benefits of cedar, the finish cannot block the transfer of cedar stuff through the finish. There is alot more going on than just cedar oil. Actually, shellac will seal the *&^% out of cedar; it just isn't as durable as...
  11. M

Tip for fixing those dents and dings

If it isn't finished, wet it and heat it out with an iron. It will come back. Control (somewhat) the wet part with masking tape and apply with a wet rag fragment (in contact) and allow to soak in for a time dependent on the tightness of the wood grain. Red oak 2 to 5 minutes; maple 10 to 15; ipe...
  12. M

My dilenma

After looking more, craftsman has a lot of cheap motors in supposedly good tools. Don't look at horsepower, just amps at voltage. Accuracy has more to do with set up. Is the blade dead square to the table at 90? Is the blade perfectly aligned (know the criticicism) with the miter slots? Is the...
  13. M

Trouble with finishing walnut

I didn't look at this in time, but again the help was there... Should we have a list of common furniture products that have silicone or other incompatible ingredients for finishing easily available and separated for viewing? Many were said, but I think we should expose the difference between...
  14. M

production veneering

Anything I could have said or possibly know was said better by these people. I feel like a beginning journeyman. One thing, if it isn't a commissioned piece, 8 year old chinese kids can do it much cheaper. How does one introduce labor reform and collective bargaining to a communist country that...
  15. M

Padauk

Made a few things with padauk. I think it is poisonous, it looks like it and affects everything around it someway or another. Sapele works great, but watch for burning. What about Kawamba? Did I spell this right? Got some scraps from a custom deck job and I love it.
  16. M

Flying Roman Ogee?????

Fortunately, I don't have a craftsman router. I have never heard of anyone that knew routers who liked them. I suspect that much of the collet problem is a result of inexperience; as they have a craftsman router.:rolf:
  17. M

My dilenma

If the wings are not flat with the main table, cheat to make the first half even with the back half off. I heard this saw was under-powered for a hybrid. Is this right?
  18. M

Negative experience with Gennett Lumber in Asheville

Yeah, that has summed up Gennett for me, too. They do have the stuff, though. I bought a 14 bdft 8/4 piece of white oak (really 12.7), but got good service. I am always polite, but I work hard to give off the "going postal" ferromone. Sometimes I get so good, only my dog knows I'm full of...
  19. M

Delta Planer

I have the same planer, and the way to keep from having to turn the armature is to replace the brushes before they fail. The basic coil and field in this motor is one that has been used for many Delta products. There is a flaw in the windings of a few armatures. The ends are pinned instead of...
  20. M

Jointer Snipe Again

I will hazard the guess that the knives are set above or below the height of the outfeed table. Set a good straight edge on the outfeed table over the cutter head and rotate it (by hand, of course :saw: ) and see if the blades touch. It is possible that the blades are working loose.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS