Search results

1. bpeck

I'm Back

I have been "away" for neary 3 years due to family business, illness, etc. (everything is now OK, thanks for asking). So, I'm back. Hello to all. :eusa_danc As an opening to my return, I present a Scandinavian style bench, stool, which is a recreation of one I made about 40 years ago in 7th...
  2. bpeck

A heck of a mess in Japan

My 86 year old father lost his house to a wildfire out in Silver City NM last week (no one hurt, even got the cats out). When I talked to him over the weekend he was more concerned with what's happening in Japan. One of those instances where there's always someone worse off. I think it gave him...
  3. bpeck

Carver needed-Pistol Grips

Anyone in the Raleigh area do carving of pistol grips? I have a friend looking for someone to carve initials in walnut grips. Thanks
  4. bpeck

Why do you like hand tools?

To prove I have opposable thumbs:notworthy:
  5. bpeck

Why do you like hand tools?

No need for ear plugs. Sound is a big thing for me. I like quiet. Barring the hammering, hand tools are quiet. I also like the sound and feel of a sharp tool slicing through wood, and the sense of accomplishment of sawing a board with accuracy. It's kind of a zen meditation thing too. I work...
  6. bpeck

Carvings-another 1st

Nice work. Don't worry about chips in the recliner. Most of my stuff is roughed with a coping saw at my work bench and then I carve while watching tv (I generally sit on the floor, but the groans from getting up put my wife in the giggles so this may not last many more years) or sitting in the...
  7. bpeck

Happy Thanksgiving

I'll echo that. Hope everyone has a great holiday and stays safe with family and friends.:eusa_danc
  8. bpeck

Grandfather clock

Well the clock has arrived safely from Arizona. I wish I could claim credit for having made this clock. The clock was made by my great great uncle, who lived in Tucson. There are apparently five clocks all seemingly made in the late 50s early 60s. The primary wood is mesquite with inlay in...
  9. bpeck

Quick, how long is a cubit??????

I guess I'm in trouble as my ark is only about a single cubit total length, and it's still pretty far from done anyway. Might do for one of the cats though.:gar-La;
  10. bpeck

Stanley is buying Black & Decker

No insult was meant to anyone personally by my comments. I just don't like companies growing by acquisition rather than actually expanding their market through better products, research, and meeting consumer demand. I have seen far too many quality products go away because a company has bought...
  11. bpeck

Stanley is buying Black & Decker

I think they aught to call it Stanley & Decker. Sounds like a comedy team which would be appropriate. I haven't bought any of either company's tools in years, except a Stanley scratch awl that I got for a buck out of an Ace Hardware bargain bin. Premium hand tool makers have taken over that...
  12. bpeck

Big and Small Gloat

Here is a picture of my recently acquired clock (or it will be when delivered as it's in transit). This was made by my Great Uncle in the 30's or 40's. He only made three of them. Wood is mesquite with ironwood, suguaro cactus spines and other desert woods inlay. I'll post better pics when it...
  13. bpeck

Mesquite for free-sort of

Many thanks to Ganzalo. :icon_thum Got some nice boards and some good carving blocks. Always nice to meet new people and talk a little shop. Brian
  14. bpeck

Thanks Andy, but I kinda want to oversee the operation. Brian
  15. bpeck

Folks, Time to clean out the workshop. I have several small logs of mesquite and a couple of olive. I would like these roughed out into blocks (suitable for carving) and maybe some small planks for little boxes. However I don't own a bandsaw. This stuff is hard so handsaw work is mighty slow...
  16. bpeck

Share your tool accidents or near misses

College wood shop in the 70s. I was ripping a long piece of oak on one of those very old monster table saws colleges and high schools had back then (not many safety features as I recall). Wasn't paying attention and the 1 inch square by 4 foot piece I had been ripping off kicked back and hit me...
  17. bpeck

Want to trade Woodworking tools for Hunting Items

Happy to have been able to help you out. :icon_thum Nice to be able to meet Gary as well.
  18. bpeck

Sorry, only a couple of .22s I wouldn't part with for the world.:gar-Bi
  19. bpeck

Pony Express North Raleigh to Anchor Seal Pick-up Point

The gun doesn't have to be picked up from my house, I can meet someone at a convenient location in N. Raleigh. I just don't have the time to make it to Apex on Saturday. Brian
  20. bpeck

James, Well, ... I happen to have a .410 .22 over-under combo can't recall the make. I haven't used it in 20 years (it was left at my house by an ex-roommate). Has a chip in the stock as I recall. You can have the thing gratis, or maybe just do something nice for another fellow woodworker or...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS