Search results

1. AAAndrew

SOLD Blow-out hand tool garage sale - Nov.7

I’m going to do it. I’m cleaning out most everything from my workshop. I’m only keeping one simple set of tools and my bench. Everything else must go. wooden planes metal planes Knight Toolworks wooden planes saws chisels braces bits (Irwin, spoon, center, Jennings) Assorted stuff...
  2. AAAndrew

Back out to the Raleigh Flea Market on Saturday Oct 24

Will bring planes, including some more unusual ones. Also some bits to go with the braces I have. If you have any requests, I'll see if I have it. See my other thread about last week to see some of the planes I'll bring. Anyone interested in my bringing the big H. Chapin complex molding plane?
  3. AAAndrew

Will be at Raleigh Flea Market today with tools

I'm starting to sell off some of my tools and today I'm going to be at the flea market out at the Fairgrounds in Raleigh. My wife is selling costume jewelry and some clothes while I will have a selection of tools including: Braces (had no idea I had so many ratcheting braces) Block planes...
  4. AAAndrew

Sold: Selling off my lumber

It's been quite a while since I've been active on here. Due to changing circumstances, I'm going to be selling off much of my workshop and woodworking tools. I'm starting with the lumber. The wood has been sitting in my interior, climate-controlled (spare bedroom) workshop for over 10 years...
  5. AAAndrew

Hickory log stubbornly hides handles

A friend had to take down a hickory (not a shagbark, but some other species) last February. I was over to visit right after and they let me take a log. It's about 14 inches in diameter and 24" tall (long). As soon as I got it home I stripped off the bark (there were already some bugs making...
  6. AAAndrew

Olde Tyme style standing desk - quick and dirty edition

My wife needs a prop for a ballet she is producing. The opening scene is in a top shop and the proprietor needs a standing desk on which he puts his quill and ink well and book in which he writes. The idea was an old fashioned, Bob Cratchett type of desk. But it needed to be smaller than the...
  7. AAAndrew

Re-introduction

It's been a while since I was last a regular, so I'm sure I've been lost in the misty water-colored memories of the way we were.... Sorry. Anyway. I'm the father of a 12-year-old so I'm starting to get a tiny bit of time to call my own. I'm back in the shop for my first non-cane project in a...
  8. AAAndrew

Soap finish on hornbeam (Ironwood)

Haven't been around much in the last few years, but I remembered y'all when I had a question. The only woodworking I've been able to do for a few years now is make some canes and walking sticks. About the most basic woodworking you can get. But right now I'm been working on a doozy of a cane...
  9. AAAndrew

Looking to trade a chunk of green hornbeam for a simple turning job - RTP area

It's been quite a while since I've been active on the forum, and it's been quite a while since I've been able to do a whole lot in the shop. (mainly canes and walking sticks which barely count as woodworking, life does intervene at times). But over this holiday season I had a chance to visit...
  10. AAAndrew

Durham Habitat for Humanity robbed

I received this message tonight from the Durham Habitat for Humanity. Their secure tool storage was broken into and all of their power tools taken. I figured some of you might have a spare tool or two sitting around for a worthy cause. This is a great group who do really good things. Thanks...
  11. AAAndrew

"Made By Hand" book

Has anyone else gotten the new book out by Tom Fidgen called "Made By Hand"? I'm only about half way through but so far it's quite an interesting book. The first part is all about how to do some basic operations like dovetails and mortise and tenon using hand tools. He also talks about setting...
  12. AAAndrew

Router bits, Forstner bits

I swung by the Durham Habitat for Humanity store today and picked up some toe-kick for some cabinets we're putting in ourselves. ($5 a stick) While there I noticed a table with assorted power tool stuff including a box of router bits, a box of Forstner bits and other assorted stuff. (a huge...
  13. AAAndrew

Ideas for a very small bench screw?

I've started making a small work bench for my GIT (Galoot in Training) and it's going to be a very basic Roubo style bench made out of 2x construction lumber. I'd like to make a little leg vise as one of his favorite things to do is clamp up stuff, but I can't use any of the bench screws you...
  14. AAAndrew

Well, Roubo is just about finished.

I have pretty much finished the bench. I still have the deadman to make, but once I got the leg vise made, it's real to me. And since nothing exists unless there are pictures, here are some. I write about the process of making it in much more detail than you'd ever want, in my blog...
  15. AAAndrew

Woodwright School Report

I had my class yesterday at Roy Underhill's The Woodwright School. This was the second session of the first class taught at his new school, and it covered dovetails and mortise and tenon. Saying that lays out the bare facts, but doesn't come close to describing what actually happened, or all...
  16. AAAndrew

Visited St. Roy's New School - With Pictures!

I'm cross posting this with the Old Tools list as I think that for y'all it's a little closer to home. I played hookey from work today for a long lunch in the sunshine and drove the 30 minutes down the road to Pittsboro, NC where Roy Underhill is opening up a school for Galoot woodworking...
  17. AAAndrew

Frank Klausz cutting a mortise by hand video

When I went to the Woodworking in America Conference last November I brought along my little still camera. I began to take some videos with the little thing just because some of the presentations were so amazing. The quality is not the best, but the content is pretty good. Last night I was...
  18. AAAndrew

WIP - Roubu bench blog

As I get older I tend to forget things a bit more easily. I'm sure none of you know what I'm talking about. :gar-La; So, I decided to record all the steps I've been taking in my workshop to build various things. It's kind of my aide memoire, which was a small book the Victorians would carry...
  19. AAAndrew

Y'all want pics? I'll give you pics

Head over to the photo gallery and see some photos of my very humble workshop. Thanks, AAAndrew
  20. AAAndrew

AAAndrew comin' aboard

Greetings to all. I guess I should introduce myself before jumping too far into the pool. I live in Durham (that's North Carolina, not England), and I'm married with one son, who's 3 1/2. Some here may or may not recognize my screen name from the Old Tools list. Yes, I'm a Galoot and will even...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS