Search results

1. Elmojo

Wanting to make a salt and pepper mill

I haven't tried that version, thanks for the tip!
  2. Elmojo

Wanting to make a salt and pepper mill

Sorry to jump in late, but if you're still pondering, I can add my experience with the CrushGrind mechanisms. Overall, I like them a lot, especially if you plan to use them for anything corrosive, such as salt, since they are ceramic. However, my one complaint is that the shaft tends to be a bit...
  3. Elmojo

sphere jig

I have no personal experience with either, but the Chefware appears to be much more rigid. I'm concerned about that rather thin aluminum base plate on the Carter's. Also, the price difference is substantial. Honestly, they both seem quite overpriced. Look at sphere jogs for metal lathes. Many of...
  4. Elmojo

I made this

Oh, okay, so these are just really small faceplates. Right on! I'll keep this in mind in case I run across a need for something like it in the future. Looks like a very cost-effective method, like Dee2 mentioned previously.
  5. Elmojo

I made this

Ah, gotcha! I don't do hardly any faceplate work, so I didn't recognize the jig or finished product for what they were. Aren't those finished faceplates really small? Or is there another plate that gets added to the washer side later? I'm having a hard time envisioning how the work is mounted....
  6. Elmojo

I made this

Ok, I feel stupid. What am I looking at?
  7. Elmojo

Open segment segment fruit bowl with foot

Earl, you make me angry every time I look at your work. It's so beautiful I just want to punch a puppy! I really need to come visit your shop one day. I'm over near Lizzie, maybe 20 minutes from you.
  8. Elmojo

Rolling pin palooza

Beautiful work Mike! FYI, these appear to be a hybrid design of a Baker's and French rolling pin design. You can say you did that on purpose, in case you didn't. ;) If you care, and if anyone asks, the French style typically taper more at the ends, and the Baker's type are basically not tapered...
  9. Elmojo

Grizzly G0462

Oh, I hadn't noticed that the Grizzly was larger. I agree about the Reeves, it's not a great design. In fact, mine exploded when the cheap cast aluminum pulleys aged and cracked, which was what prompted me to consider converting to a variable speed drive. In the meantime, I repaired the Reeves...
  10. Elmojo

Grizzly G0462

Other than the digital readout, it seems fairly similar to my Harbor Freight 12x38 lathe. I've been very happy with it, for the money. I plan to swap out the motor with a variable speed treadmill motor I have sitting on my bench, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
  11. Elmojo

Turn Big or Go Home

Couple things... 1) You forgot "awesome" in your description. ;) 2) The rest IS railroad track 3) Watch his hands as he works, the man knows what he's doing. Also, look at his age. He still has all his fingers and eyeballs. It's clearly not as dangerous (to him) as it would be to us. If I tried...
  12. Elmojo

starting a guild in Eastern NC

Sound like a great idea! I'm hoping I can join in, but my shop time is severely limited these days. I live maybe 15 minutes from your shop, so hopefully I can jump in now and then. Please keep us informed as things develop.
  13. Elmojo

First hollow form

Nice job, especially considering it's a first attempt! What are your plans for the lid? Press fit, screw-in, other? If press fit, a simple groove and o-ring seal is pretty easy to turn, and is somewhat forgiving for dimensional variations wood movement.
  14. Elmojo

Busted Reeves drive on HF lathe, need advice

Don't jinx it, we ain't done yet! lol I'm fairly confident that I'll get the right parts, since the guy I spoke to in customer service (in the US!) gave the part #s, and the lady I placed the order with (in India) agreed on the description of those parts. I should have them towards middle or end...
  15. Elmojo

Ok, spoke with HF customer support. They have most of the parts for the drive system available, but only until they're gone. Here are the part #s he gave me, in case anyone else need to try ordering. NOTE: The "M" number in {} is the item designation as it appears on the exploded parts diagram...
  16. Elmojo

On hold with HF now, we'll see if they can help... :)
  17. Elmojo

Morning Steve! I thought about calling HF, but everything I've heard is that they take forever and don't have good support for replacement parts. I may try giving that a shot, though, thanks! I think the original failure was due to the pulley being made out of hardened bubblegum or something...
  18. Elmojo

Hi all, I've been away from woodworking for a while, since I got a metal lathe and a contract project to go with it. Anyway, I decided to fire up my Harbor Freight (HF) 12"x33-3/8" (Central Machinery, item# 34706) wood lathe over the weekend, and was greeted with the unholy sound of the drive...
  19. Elmojo

anybody know where the goodwill lathe is?

Remind me what lathe it is? I have a friend who's wanting to get into turning. He'll need to jump on here and inquire about it himself, but I'd like to let him know something first.
  20. Elmojo

4mm allen wrench with a T handle

Good point Erik, Prime ROCKS. :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors