Search results

1. reprosser

How to figure header size for double door

I am building a finishing room in my shop, and I need to install a 60" double door. I checked around on the web, but it seems to be real complicated to determine the size of the header. I plan to store stuff (not lumber) overhead, but it will not be a 2nd floor - just storage. I figure a 2x12...
  2. reprosser

Win a Free SawStop

Woodcraft is having a SawStop drawing. Here is the link to sign up. http://www.woodcraft.com/contests/sawstop-finger-saver.aspx
  3. reprosser

A wall on a wall?

I had such a great response from my previous question - I decided to try another. My next framing project is to build the wall to close off the "noise room" from the rest of the shop. The wall will be about 10 ft wide - but 14 feet high. Can I just build a - say - 8ft wall, and then build a 6...
  4. reprosser

How to butt together 4 walls?

Any framers out there? I need to put up walls for a bathroom in my shop. I can build the 4 walls, but is there a preferred or required layout for butting the walls together at the corners? 2 opposite walls inside the other 2 walls, or overlap each corner differently, or ??. :dontknow:(I know...
  5. reprosser

Building rooms

I have my shop walls up and floor is poured (40x70 pole building with 14ft ceiling). The next step to to put up interior walls for finishing room and bathroom. The bathroom walls should not be too tough - just 2x4 walls, 16" oc, 8ft ceiling. I plan to put the water heater on top of the...
  6. reprosser

Spar Varnish on cedar split rail fence

I am installing ~ 1000 feet of fence, and the wife wants to varnish to keep the color longer. Would probably recoat each year or so - depending. I am NOT planning to brush coat that much fence, so I am looking at spray options. Maybe a Wagner airless painter would work? Anyone have any...
  7. reprosser

Finish Room - size?

I am working on the layout of the shop I am building, and a finish room was suggested. Need suggestions on sizing. I know bigger is usually better, but there are probably some guidelines on a reasonable, comfortable workspace. (The shop will be big (40x70), so I have room to build the "right"...
  8. reprosser

Some recent stuff

Finished up some bowls and my first tool handle this week. White cedar and Black Walnut - boy, do they turn differently !! The bowls are mineral oil finish, except the one BW shallow dish, which is Poly Wipe. Friction polish on the tool handle (it will wear off quickly in use, but highlights the...
  9. reprosser

Beginner with segmenting

My wife is interested in segmenting (I don't have the patience for it...). She can cut and glue up the pieces, and I will turn it for her. Wondering what kind of specialty tools are needed.:icon_scra I understand a table saw with sled - or miter saw will be needed for cutting the segment...
  10. reprosser

Root Platter-Bowl

I decided to try and turn a platter from a (pecan?) root, but once started, it evolved into a bowl with a large rim...11x3 I thought it was pretty dry, but when I finished turning, I noticed a number of cracks - and they have changed noticeably since yesterday. I am putting on heavy coats of...
  11. reprosser

Yet another wood ID please?

I acquired some mystery wood that I have never turned before. I see a lot of this around, but usually in 1-2 inch diameter "weed trees". Usually mixed in with the pine and scrub oak in this sandy area of South Carolina. These pieces are 6-8 inches in diameter. This wood has an orange-ish...
  12. reprosser

Red Cedar Bowl - NE

Trying out a new shape with some fresh cut Red Cedar. One coat of Poly wipe so far. I think this bowl would look best with high buffed gloss. What do you think? I call it a tulip bowl. The rim reminds me of a tulip. 8" diameter x 5" high. I plan to turn off the tenon and have no foot on...
  13. reprosser

Chuck tightening

I have a Barracuda2 chuck, and I notice that when I try to tighten the jaws, the T-handle tries to back out of the gears where the handle and gears mesh together (don't know what you call that end of the T-handle) Both the gears in the chuck and the gear on the handle come together with angled...
  14. reprosser

Another beginner

Hi all, I was born and raised in the midlands of SC, moved to Atlanta for 8 long years, but have recently moved back to SC. I have my electrical engineering degree from USC, and work as a project manager in a manufacturing plant. My hobbies include photography, ham radio, bagpipes, singing, and...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS