Search results

1. S

new carvings

It has been a log time since I have posted anything. Here are a couple of new carvings recently finished with more experiments using color. The carvings are in 4/4 basswood and painted using a combination of oil, acrylic and watercolor paints. Stave
  2. S

latest work part 2

This is larger than I have been working but I did the drawing 5 years ago and decided it needed to finally get done. The carving measures 29" x 11 1/2" and is carved from 4/4 basswood. The branch branch is painted with watercolors and the lichens were sculpted using modeling paste. The owl...
  3. S

latest carvings part one

I haven't posted in quite awhile. Last half of last year was full and I did not get any of my own work done. So I just finished three panels and decided it was time to post something. Both the cottontail and the barn owl are carved from 8/4 basswood with the carvings measuring 13" x 10 1/4"...
  4. S

someone looking to do something different?

I had a designer contact me about making some prototypes. She is in the Charlotte area and is sincere about getting the work done. Below is a photo of what she is after. If you are interested her contact information is also posted. Hopefully someone here can help her. She needs the 3...
  5. S

a woodcarver's appreciation

I wanted to thank everyone for the compliments for my work. It seemed easier to do it here then to post on all three of the other posts. I have spent the vast majority of my career bringing to life other people's ideas. Oh I got to do the design work and carved them the way I thought was best...
  6. S

last rabbit

Just wanted to post this last carving, these are pretty much all the carvings I have done this year. Like I mentioned before it has been a busy and difficult year. The carving is basswood and is finished with watercolors, acrylics and oil paints. Trying to get more realistic with each attempt...
  7. S

new work part 2

Here are a couple more photos. As you can tell, if you have seen previous work, I am experimenting with color and textures. Still trying out different ideas building up to a more complex idea I have envisioned for a long time. Must admit I am having a great time and am extremely grateful that...
  8. S

new work

Hey everyone. Have not posted anything in a long time and I saw the post about whether anyone was working or not. It has been a busy year both in and out of the shop. I was recently flooded in my shop and have been out of commission for a month or so and I have worked backed up so there will...
  9. S

Need burl material

I have a client that is looking for a burl to get a bowl turned. Does anyone have any and if so could I get a price and size of what is available? Thanks in advance for the help. Stave
  10. S

dowels for sale?

I have a pretty good assortment and quantity of maple dowels. They are full dimension and 3' in length. Unfortunately I do not have any 3/8 dowels but they start a 3/16 to 1/4 all the way up to 7/8. I am downsizing my shop and was wondering if anyone is interested in purchasing some or all of...
  11. S

Tree carving

This was a white pine stump that was 8' tall and 24" across which the client wanted carved with animals from NC. The idea was to have an animal looking at you no matter which side of the stump you were standing on. The vast majority of this was done with a variety of chainsaws followed by a 4...
  12. S

latest relief carving

Been awhile since I posted anything here. Chainsaw carvings were all the rage last year so not much hand carving got done. I will post a couple of them shortly. This is the last hand carving I finished. I tried some different things with this one. The branch was colored with watercolors only...
  13. S

Snowshoe rabbit redo

I finished the original on 2010 and it was well received on the forums and by most folks. Of course it went to the galleries where it did not receive such a warm welcome. One gallery kept it for less than a month and then requested I come pick it up. Well I decided to try the new painting...
  14. S

in dire need of chainsaw help

A couple weeks ago when it was burning hot I was carving a stump and my saws were running hot as well. The piston on my cs 670 echo locked up form overheating. I removed the spark plug and poured about 1/4 cup of wd40 on top of the piston. The next morning I turned the piston by hand and it...
  15. S

need a box made

I have a client that wants me to carve a scene on a box top. I can carve but am not a box builder so I need someone to build the box.. The inside dimensions of the box need to be as follows: 7" long x 4" wide x 3" deep. I would like to use soft maple with a box joint construction. Because it...
  16. S

Bluebird

Been awhile since I posted. Been doing chainsaw carvings and must admit they wear me down so in the evenings I am not motivated to do much. This is a small carving and is the first that I really put color on. Scary to paint things sometimes. Another experiment with color and backgrounds...
  17. S

Odyssey project #2

Finished this up during the last heat spell a couple of weeks ago. Don't know which was worse the or fighting with the wood! This tree was dead and dry, victim of several car crashes. The wood was incredibly hard..hickory. Hit a few nails and a screw plus had some rot in the sun that had to...
  18. S

new work

It is nice to finally be in my shop again! The chainsaw carving is nice to have but the heat is just a little much...look like a breaded shrimp at the end of the day. This is a carving I reworked. The frame got damaged and while I was repairing it I decided to paint the rabbit. It was...
  19. S

Odyssey Project

For the last couple of months I have been working with a group of students at a local alternative school called The Odyssey School. Last year they cut down two hickory trees and left them about 9' tall. I saw them while riding by and decided to make a proposal to the school. I made a proposal...
  20. S

carving patterns

I have received a great many queries concerning carving patterns on my website and through other avenues. I was wondering what the real interest among novice carvers is. Being there are a number of carvers on this site I thought I would throw it out there and gather your opinions. It has been...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS