Search results

1. S

Mineral oil on cutting board...does it ever stop seeping out?

Heat the board with a hair dryer and as the oil seeps out wipe it off. Cause of the seeping is the board was to heavily oiled and the oil is pooled in the pores of the wood just below the surface, body heat brings it to the surface. Stave
  2. S

Carving smooth curves (letters and numbers) into basswood.

Letter carving is difficult even for the seasoned carver. I have always used a v-tool to do my lettering and mostly in basswood. Lime wood is a English species of basswood although it is tighter grained and a little denser. To clean up the center of the curves you can work to the center by...
  3. S

Looking for a nice scorp, various drawknives

I have a greenlee drawknife and a large scorp...both like new. Let me dig them out, get pics and get back to you on Mon. stave had trouble sending a PM, looks like I sent it several times. Sorry for the aggravation.
  4. S

new carvings

The depth of the two carvings is the same. The multiple layers combined with the darker colors create the illusion of more depth. I admit that I had to re-carve the leaves once, paint them multiple times and spent more time coloring them than I did producing everything else on the piece...
  5. S

new carvings

Thanks so much for the comments, good to know that my efforts are paying off. An amazing amount of time goes into each piece! These were carved for a gallery and for a collector of my work. The rabbit is the spring carving in a series of the four seasons with rabbits. I am also doing a series...
  6. S

new carvings

It has been a log time since I have posted anything. Here are a couple of new carvings recently finished with more experiments using color. The carvings are in 4/4 basswood and painted using a combination of oil, acrylic and watercolor paints. Stave
  7. S

debarking logs

Logs cut in the spring and summer will peel easier due to the sap rising. Fall and winter logs will be hard to debark (impossible with some species) due to the sap falling...it makes the bark stick to the tree like crazy. Of course logs that have sat for a year or so will peel because the tree...
  8. S

Question about mallets

the benefit to using a round mallet is not having to look where you are hitting the chisel or gouge. The mallet will not easily deflect off the head of the tool. Square head mallets have to hit directly on center or will deflect off and hit your hand right below your thumb. Now that smarts...
  9. S

What are you working on?

Would love to be working on anything in wood! Bought a house in March that had been vacant for three years. House was in top shape but the yard was a disaster, 200 yards of paved drive that was covered in 3" of leaves, bushes 8' tall etc. Needless to say I started the first week in March and...
  10. S

My latest relief carving

great work and very difficult subject matter too! Love the presentation as well...the whole thing must have taken quite awhile to accomplish. Carving people is never easy and that looks like maple which makes it even harder. Again a great job. Stave
  11. S

latest work part 2

Thank you all so much! I received a call yesterday and the carving has been sold AND they want 3 more versions expressing in total the four seasons. That made my day to put it mildly....little snoopy dance in the snow to celebrate. Stave
  12. S

JagUar Growler Carving

Nice job Pete, carving anything straight on is difficult and you did a great job. Love the complimentary woods and the fact you left carving marks. Really great! Stave
  13. S

Power carving/engraving

I do not know about which would sell best, carving or pyrography. I do know that the power engraver is made for fine detail work and will suffer well the heavy stock removal. On the other hand it can be used as a pencil to work with. I have sanded and finished boards with a light stain and...
  14. S

latest carvings part one

I appreciate the comments from all. I understand Ken the comments about the barn owl. It is a little more modern and abstract. Although I like both, the rabbit is definitely my favorite as well. Spending most of my time alone and not receiving much feedback it is great to hear the comments...
  15. S

latest work part 2

Thanks so much for the support. I spend most all of my creative time alone, deliver my work and then receive a check in the mail. I do not get much feedback (except from my worst critic...the wife) so I definitely appreciate the comments I receive here. Thanks again, Stave
  16. S

latest work part 2

This is larger than I have been working but I did the drawing 5 years ago and decided it needed to finally get done. The carving measures 29" x 11 1/2" and is carved from 4/4 basswood. The branch branch is painted with watercolors and the lichens were sculpted using modeling paste. The owl...
  17. S

latest carvings part one

I haven't posted in quite awhile. Last half of last year was full and I did not get any of my own work done. So I just finished three panels and decided it was time to post something. Both the cottontail and the barn owl are carved from 8/4 basswood with the carvings measuring 13" x 10 1/4"...
  18. twny_owl_detail

twny_owl_detail

19. cottontail4

cottontail4

20. tawny_owl

tawny_owl

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS