Search results

1. mlzettl

For Sale: Stanley side rabbet planes, #98 and #99

I have a pair of Stanley side rabbets for sale. I purchased these over 30 yrs ago. They are not a "matched pair," with the #98 being obviously quite a bit older than the #99. Based upon the Stanley logo on the blade of the #98, I suspect it is from around 1910, give or take a few years. As can...
  2. mlzettl

FS - British Stanley #6, Full Restoration

I am selling a Stanley #6 that I recently fully restored. It is of British manufacture, and as best as I can tell, probably from the 1970's or so. I re-finished the knob and tote, cleaned the painted surfaces, cleaned all metal parts, and lapped the bottom. I sharpened the blade, and tuned the...
  3. mlzettl

Baby Cradle

Last fall we learned that our daughter was pregnant with our first grandchild. I decided to make a baby cradle, and after some research and design work arrived at a design that both daughter and son-in-law were in favor of. I began work as the new year began, and finished it end of March. I have...
  4. mlzettl

Olive Ash Burl and Wenge Coffee Table

I recently completed a coffee table that I was commissioned to design and build. The customer had an olive ash burl slab that had been warehoused for over 20 years, and wanted me to make a coffee table. The slab had natural edges, and he wanted that appearance preserved. I produced several...
  5. mlzettl

Barber Shop Wall Case

This thread is actually the resurrection of a closed thread that was started by Dave Richards over a year ago. I was the last person to post in that thread, and indicated that I really liked the concept, and that I planned to do a little bit of re-design to fit my own needs and space, and that...
  6. mlzettl

Latest work, a console table in curly cherry, designed in Sketchup

This is my latest completed piece. I started designing it a few months ago using Sketchup. One of the great things about Sketchup is the ability to tweak things, look from multiple viewpoints, re-tweak, and keep repeating the process until you are satisfied. That can all be done without drawing...
  7. mlzettl

Latest work

Here are some photos of my most recently completed piece, a desk in cherry. The design is original, and features some Asian design elements. I intended the reverse taper legs and the under-bevel of the top to balance each other, and I am happy with the result. Questions and critiques are...
  8. mlzettl

Recent Greene and Greene table

This is my most recent project, an interpretation of the Greene and Greene serving table from the Freeman A. Ford house in Pasadena, CA, designed in 1908. The original is a masterpiece of proportion and simplicity, and typifies the elegance of the Greenes' work. This table is done in...
  9. mlzettl

Congratulations to Shamrock

Shamrock (aka Mike McKee) is now one of the exhibiting craftsmen at the Grovewood Gallery in Asheville. Those of us who have seen Mike's work are well aware of not only his craftsmanship, but also his sense of the elements of great design. The Grovewood is one of the premier venues of American...
  10. mlzettl

Raleigh Saw Experience?

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Raleigh Saw. I have several 10" blades that need to be sharpened, and was hoping to keep things fairly close to home. I go back and forth through Raleigh not infrequently, so it would not be a big problem to stop by there. I have two Forrest WW II's...
  11. mlzettl

Unisaw on Eastern NC Craigslist

I just saw this this morning, looks like it might be a good deal for anyone looking for a Unisaw or the like. No photo, but the ad says it also includes a dust collector, and a "T-Square fence," which I would assume is the Delta Unifence. http://eastnc.craigslist.org/tls/1621474639.html Matt
  12. mlzettl

Greene and Greene Sideboard

Here are a few photos of a Greene and Greene style sideboard that I recently completed. It is 88"W x 36"H x 18"D. It is my own design, inspired by several different G&G sideboards. Total labor came to about 240 hours. The body of the top is bookmatched quartersawn sapele. The panels in the doors...
  13. mlzettl

Piedmont Craftsmen's Fair

If anyone is going to the Piedmont Craftsmen's Fair this weekend in Winston-Salem, stop by and say hello. I will be at the Preview Party on Friday night, and most of the day on Saturday and Sunday. Most of the time I will be in the Applicant's Group Booth, where my work is being juried. I would...
  14. mlzettl

Alternative half blind dovetail technique

I’ve been hand-cutting dovetails for over twenty years, and I’ve used numerous techniques for both through and half blind dovetails. A few months ago, it occurred to me that there might be an easier way to cut the half blinds, and I tried the technique on the drawers for a couple of recent...
  15. mlzettl

Latest project

I finished this wall hung jewelry cabinet a few days ago. My goal was to design and build a functional storage solution for a large collection of jewelry. The problem with many jewelry boxes and cases is that most of the jewelry is hidden away, and difficult to find. I designed this wall hung...
  16. mlzettl

Brass box hinges

For a number of years, I have used Brusso hinges for all of my small boxes, cabinets, etc. They are without a doubt among the finest available. The only problem is that they are very expensive. I have tried other hinges from time to time, but have always been disappointed. Not too long ago, I...
  17. mlzettl

Cherry, red cedar on Craigslist

I noticed some cherry for sale on Craigslist in Swansboro, just down the road from me. He only wants $8.50 bd./ft. for 3' - 5' lengths, 5-8" widths!! He also has some aromatic red cedar that he's letting go for only $6.00 bd./ft.!!!:rotflm: If anybody wants to make a trip down to the coast to...
  18. mlzettl

In Asheville this weekend

If any NC Woodworkers in the Asheville area are interested, I will be at the Grovewood Gallery, adjacent to the Grove Park Inn on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I have six pieces of furniture there for an exhibition that coincides with the 22nd Annual Grove Park Inn Arts and Crafts Conference. I...
  19. mlzettl

Jewelry box

A couple of months ago, one of the directors of the Arts Council of Carteret County asked me if I was going to have something in this year's Art From the Heart Show, their annual juried show. At the time, I was in the middle of making the pieces for my exhibition in Asheville, and I told him...
  20. mlzettl

Dining table in the style of Greene and Greene

Here is my latest completed project, a dining table inspired by Greene and Greene. This is my own design, the last of five pieces done for an exhibition that is coming up in about two weeks. The table is quartered makore with wenge accents. The top is curved along the sides, and the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS