Search results

1. mkepke

CNC routing HDPE

This isn't wood, but it is for a woodworking jig, so I thought I'd share my experiences machining HDPE. This is for Hitch's segmented bowl jig in another thread. I had trouble finding consensus on feeds and speeds for this but for full thickness profile (slot) cutting and pocketing thru holes...
  2. mkepke

FS: Freud SD208 8" dado set..NOS

Freud SD208 8" dado set for 5/8" arbor. Complete with carrier. Unused (there's minor wear on the Freud logo from being moved around the shop). This is the older 'safety' style dado for 10" table saws. Blades have depth-limiting shoulders behind the cutting tips to prevent taking to large a...
  3. mkepke

Birth of a wood scraper

After watching a couple videos where turners extol the virtues of scrapers for rough turning green bowls, I figured I'd make one. I like to make tooling. I'm sharing the highlights of my build process in case anyone else is crazy enough to make their own tooling. I started with a Chineseium...
  4. mkepke

A little bling for the Woodfast

I decided I needed to add some task lighting for my Woodfast lathe. I started out with some inexpensive gooseneck LED sewing machine lights. They were actually pretty good for what they were, but the short neck on the lights meant I was constantly moving them. I noticed that Powermatic...
  5. mkepke

Let's machine some brass!

Wanted a branding iron to 'sign' my work Random offcut of 2" dia brass. Original artwork done in Inkscape and free Carbide Create. Faced the blank in my metal lathe. Tapped for 1/4x20 on the backside. Fixtured onto scrap plywood with a bolt, painters tape and CA glue. Re-faced 0.006" DOC...
  6. mkepke

Prolfile of Brian Boggs, NC chairmaker

Interesting read; good pictures "Brian Boggs, Master of the Chair" https://craftsmanship.net/the-master-of-the-chair -Mark
  7. mkepke

Round box

This forum is too quiet! Here's a small (4+" dia x ~1.5" tall) round keepsake box I cut for my son. His initials are two level stacked text (sKm) raised on the box lid. The wood is spalted maple. Cut on my Onefinity woodworker with CarbideCreate Pro CAD/CAM software. The picture really...
  8. mkepke

Carbide Create Pro (CAM software) free for a year

FYI, Carbide 3D has made their Carbide Create Pro software available free for a year. Signup below: Carbide 3D Launchpad It's no V-carve Pro, but has some nice features over and above the also no-charge Carbide Create non-Pro including support for rough and finishing passes, support for...
  9. mkepke

Interesting furniture find - Roll top desk and a story too

So there I was in the Fuquay Restore looking for some cabinets I could repurpose into a base for my CNC. Finding nothing (selection was barebones), I swung through the furniture section just in case. Spotted a medium sized roll top desk among the mostly pressboard flat-pack furniture. Eldest...
  10. mkepke

WTB shop cabinets

Looking for 8 linear feet of base cabinets with drawers - enough to make a 4' x 4' base for my incoming CNC machine. Holly Springs/Fuquay area. I may end up making a set but I have some other projects I'd rather focus on. -Mark
  11. mkepke

You don't say?

As seen on an Amazon ad for a router bit: "This planer bit are only for woodworking use, not for mental work" -Mark
  12. mkepke

Do you use a biscuit joiner and if so, for what?

This thread is for Jeff who asked the same question in a For Sale thread :) I'll lead off: I use a joiner for quick and easy tenons. The last project I made using one was a couple of bed frames. I used size S biscuits to join panels to the legs to make headboard and footboard assemblies, all...
  13. mkepke

Small diameter (~1/4") router 'bowl' bit ?

I'm making some template routed plaques and I use a relatively small diameter cutter to get into the corners of the template. Small like 1/4" or so. The problem is the vagaries of using a straight bit in a hand-held router results in some tiny but visible steps between passes. Trying to sand...
  14. mkepke

Commercial laser engraver in the Fuquay/Holly Springs area?

Well Plan A fell through, so on to Plan B :rolleyes:: Anyone on the board doing small laser engraving jobs on short notice? I need several lines of text engraved on a flat plywood substrate. Will supply the plywood. Thanks, -Mark
  15. mkepke

Short load of concrete - placing and finishing too

Does anyone have a recommendation for a handyman/business in the Fuquay area to place and finish a short load of concrete? I have a 10' x 12' slab from my driveway that I need repoured..about 2 cu yards of concrete. The old slab heaved..I'll bust it out, re-compact and pour thicker. It's in a...
  16. mkepke

(Tig) Welding thin stainless plates

I have a commercially made showerhead that can be thought of as 2 thin stainess steel plates, one with an inlet port for water, the other plate with a bunch of outlet holes. The showerhead split at the seam between the two plates..and I'm wondering if its a good candidate for welding. To be...
  17. mkepke

Delta Contractor's Saw on CL Raleigh

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/5358326464.html Not mine, but a good saw if in good working condition. This is a 34-444-type saw. I would factor in a replacement fence and a better on/off switch (eventually) but the saw will run for as-is decades... -Mark
  18. mkepke

Delta 34-444 type contractor's saw: $200 (CL)

If this is in good working shape, it's a great deal for anyone needing a good tablesaw. Appears to have a 52" Unifence and proper mobile base. : http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/5246848602.html No affiliation, etc. -Mark
  19. mkepke

Combining Two Hobbies - resurrected

I missed the original thread the first time around (below), so thought I'd open a new thread and share a couple pictures. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55212 My son is in Cub Scouts and after I helped him with his Pinewood Derby racer, I made one myself just for fun...
  20. mkepke

Recommend a mid-season peach tree for central NC

I need to plant another peach tree. I already have an Early Elberta - it delivered ripe peaches in May this year. Lots of split pits. I'd like a homeowner-friendly tree*, that ripens later - preferably a dwarf or semi dwarf. Maybe a Winblo ? Any idea where a homeowner can buy a single tree...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS