Search results

1. mkepke

3D Printed Table Saw Dust Collection

Picking a decent printer is the easy part. The CAD software (and the skill to use it) is where the massive investment needs to be made. Are you already skilled at CAD? If not, or you're not prepared to spend the months gaining the skills, you're going to be limited to running already designed...
  2. mkepke

Need advice re new rock maple butcher block countertops

Leaving aside my opinion of using wood countertops to begin with, I would recommend looking at one of the modern 'hard wax' finishes like Rubio Monocoat/OSMO/etc. Easy to apply, easy to repair, more durable than a traditional oil finish...
  3. mkepke

Laminated Plywood: A snipe hunt?

Or what about medium density overlay (MDO)? Two smooth faces with a plywood core. Common for sign-making. -Mark
  4. mkepke

My work desk... just finished of Sunday, March 17, 2014

Very cool milling the oaks from your property and making stuff. No concerns about the plasticizers in the flexible sheet hurting the varnish...
  5. mkepke

Framing Hammer old vs new- mini rant

I have a big 22 oz Estwing framer, but I regret getting it with the waffle face. As a DIY'er, the length and weight made it good for demo. I keep thinking eventually I'll get around to grinding it flat. With Estwings you need to be careful to avoid one that rings too much. -Mark
  6. mkepke

Plunge cutting with a cove router bit

How large is that stopped fluting? (l x w x d) There’s no real issue plunge cutting with a cove bit (other than risk of burning the wood) but a cove bit is going to max out around 3/4 to 1” diameter. If the groove for your stopped fluting is much wider, you won’t get a nice hemisphere on the...
  7. mkepke

So much total GARBAGE

I also wouldn't cut holes in the roof for vents, but I'm lucky to have gable walls. I've also replaced two of three builder's grade fans at this point. One was like Scott's: a cheapo 3" vinyl flex duct running to the soffit (but not actually vented outside). The other was worse..it just...
  8. mkepke

Cherry Sale - Capital City Lumber

7/8-15/16 is fair for 'skip planed' S2S lumber. That's what CCL is advertising (skip-planed S2S I mean). I'd rather they sell it rough, but they don't (in Mark's world: rough>skip planed S2S >dressed S2S) If you've gotten case-hardened wood, that sounds like a drying defect and CCL should...
  9. Restructure stove area and vent.png

Restructure stove area and vent.png

10. mkepke

Paste Wax Replacement

JPW came in a one pound can too, so the Minwax is 2x the price/weight. One can will probably last you most of your life tho, so if you look at it from that perspective...:-) -Mark
  11. mkepke

The Odd Tape Measures

I once bought a new level from the Johnson tool company. It came with a free tape measure. Here it is. Go ahead - say it out loud. -Mark
  12. mkepke

CNC Router Forum

Echoing what Chris said, 'everything in CNC' is an extremely broad topic. Let's start with the basics..this is a pretty good overview of the entire activity (I have no affiliation with the author etc). Once or if you have a sense of the end-to-end workflow, we can dive into specific...
  13. mkepke

Dewalt Plunge Router DW616 complaints

Hey Bradley, can you pull out the spring and take out (clip off) a turn or two to reduce the spring pressure? Or maybe the problem is that the clamping mechanism is under-engineered. -Mark
  14. mkepke

Chess Set

Looking good! Is this for yourself or a gift or...? -Mark
  15. mkepke

CNC routing HDPE

Glad I could help. Please let me know if they do/don’t work as expected! -Mark
  16. mkepke

CNC routing HDPE

Yeah, with this particular job I could do all three operations (engrave text, drill hole, cut out piece) with the same bit so it made sense to run the 1/8”. I’ll run some test cuts using a 1/4” up cut and see how it does with the normal dust shroud/no air assist. -Mark
  17. mkepke

CNC routing HDPE

This isn't wood, but it is for a woodworking jig, so I thought I'd share my experiences machining HDPE. This is for Hitch's segmented bowl jig in another thread. I had trouble finding consensus on feeds and speeds for this but for full thickness profile (slot) cutting and pocketing thru holes...
  18. mkepke

Fireplace mantle project complete!

Mark - that looks really nice. Good use of space. Kudos to whomever tackled the brick/stonework. -Mark
  19. mkepke

LED Shop lights

FYI, Ace Hardware has 4' Feit LED replacement tubes on sale for $9.99 for a pair. These are not high output tubes, being ~1850 lumens. I just bought a couple pairs as a test-run to replace the dying fluorescents in the garage, so no review yet. My shop lighting is still chugging away using...
  20. mkepke

Can I cut Rockler's T-track with my miter saw?

Did you stop when you saw sparks? Asking for a friend. -Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS