Search results

1. ChrisMathes

upload pix

Hey All...was trying to upload a pic tonight, but had numerous issues. Can you please check and make sure that I haven't lost access to my gallery since I've been idle for a bit, now!?!? Thanks for all you do...still love ncww.net!!!!:occasion1
  2. ChrisMathes

Sealing workshop from rest of house

Hey All, I've been out of the workshop for a while because we had our house for sale, sold it and have moved into a rental. We are in the process of building a new workshop with a home attached. My new shop will still be relatively small, but overall, give me more area than my shed. The...
  3. ChrisMathes

Wood Movement Question

I am building a small side table and am making the top out of a 6" square of quilted maple (ooooohh, I love that stuff!) I framed the maple with 1" bubinga all the way around...am I asking for trouble with wood movement breaking my frame? I don't really get the whole movement thing...need to...
  4. ChrisMathes

Intarsia Help, please - Backing Board

I was hoping to get some advice from those talented intarsia-ists who live here :) On the dolphin intarsia that I posted, I had glued it up to a 1/8" piece of plywood. The problem is that I have another 1/8" cherry shim that I'm using to push the front dolphin out to give it some overall...
  5. ChrisMathes

Mother-In-Law Pen

So...this has always been a joke for me. I have one of my first blow-outs (purple heart) that I scotch taped to a bic pen after it failed in drilling. I still have it and use it as a joke telling people that I made a pen for my mother-in-law. Truth is, I am really blessed with my family and...
  6. ChrisMathes

Gift for a friend

I made this for a friend who makes a living selling original art based on NASCAR. He is also a huge music/guitar fan. I thought that since he is an artist, I would create a sketch pencil for him. I tried to create a theme for this. I used the checkered flag from NASCAR and a loose...
  7. ChrisMathes

A couple of projects

Here are a couple of projects I finished recently. First is the wine rack that was in Wood Mag this fall. I thought it was kind of cool...my wife isn't crazy about it...oh well, at least she is honest with me...I need that honesty! It is be maple and walnut. Second is a bandsaw box...I love...
  8. ChrisMathes

My First Intarsia

I wanted to try something different, so I decided to make this dolphin intarsia for my Mom's upcoming birthday. While I don't expect to become an expert intarsia-ist (?) I thought that a project or two in this would make me a better woodworker. There are some unique skills that are necessary...
  9. ChrisMathes

Very Special Shop Visitor

...ok...well..it wasn't my shop...but I did get to spend the day with David Marks! David is teaching some classes at the http://www.woodzone.com in Columbia, SC this weekend. Being a big fan of Woodworks and David, I had to get down there. From a personal standpoint, I have wanted to add...
  10. ChrisMathes

Recent Pens (gifts)

Hi All...I haven't posted any pics in quite a while, so I thought I would share some pens that I completed recently. First is a pen that we are giving to the lady who teaches 'Kingdom Kids' at our pre-school. She is fantastic! It is BOW with a cross inlay made of abalone shell. The 'hill'...
  11. ChrisMathes

Table Saw Blade Sharpening Suggestions

I've sufficiently abused my table saw blade by using it way too long. It is quite dull and dangerous...so, I MUST get it sharpened. Does anyone have any suggestions for a local Charlotte area sharpener? Do I need to send it off? Thanks for your time... Chris
  12. ChrisMathes

ptreeusa.com black friday add...jfyi

sharing... http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_black_friday_3.htm
  13. ChrisMathes

Teacher Gift - Pocket Chart Holder

I was asked by my daughter's first grade teacher to make her a 'pocket chart holder'. I didn't know what this was at the time. She said I could make it out of PVC or whatever I wanted, but she just needed something stable. She didn't seem too upset that I veered away from PVC :-) This is...
  14. ChrisMathes

Tracks Across Africa Pen

I have a friend who has been hunting for a good part of his life. He makes annual trips out west to hunt bigger game and really enjoys participating in advanced tracking and hiking to locate a target. Recently, he was given the once in a lifetime opportunity to ride along (not hunt) with a...
  15. ChrisMathes

How Long shold my feet be?

I am making a free-standing 'display' with two legs (think of a free-standing chalkboard or free-standing headboard, etc.). To keep it from falling over, is there some ratio (foot length to display height) I need to follow to make it stable, but without making them so long that they get tripped...
  16. ChrisMathes

Cribbage Board

Hey All, I haven't been around much as life (all parts) has gotten busy. Generally, this is a good thing, but it has kept me from visiting as much as I am accustomed to (let alone posting). Anyway, I thought I would post a project I did for a friend. This is actually a Christmas gift for his...
  17. ChrisMathes

Jeff...'s wood put to good use!

Many of you will remember the stabilization project that Jeff... had a year or so ago with his "spalted, curly, wormy sycamore". I loved that wood and have not seen anything like it since. Anyway, with Jeff...'s generousity, he sent me a few blanks through the NCWW Pony Express as a bit of a...
  18. ChrisMathes

New Name...same wsd1089 ;-)

When I first joined this site, I did not realize that it would become my favorite site on the internet. I didn't even know if I would remain passionate with woodworking. With that said, I wanted to keep a bit of anonyminity and just hang out. It seems that, ever since I joined, however...
  19. ChrisMathes

Antler Pen Blanks?

...anyone else see them in this picture? (A friend of mine sent this pic to me...think it's from FL, but not sure)
  20. ChrisMathes

Thread Preview 'upgrade'

(This is in regards to the 'preview' bubble that pops up on the title of a thread to show you the first couple lines of the discussion) I've just completed what I think will be seen as an 'upgrade' to the thread preview. This was initiated by a change request from mtrager and pappyj who wanted...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors