Search results

1. L

Maple - four straight tree sections - worthwhile?

Great advice overall - I'll probably buy a chainsaw mill and cut some 8/4 boards this Fall, so only lose about an inch of maple. No worries about metal, since the tree grew in a heavily wooded lot and the only other property owner reported they only put nails/metal in two trees on the lot (...
  2. L

Maple - four straight tree sections - worthwhile?

Occasional woodworker here in NW Greensboro with a recently cut front-yard maple (no nails/metal known): cut faces in photos. Trunk measures 12-13" diameter, 22 feet long, already cut into 4 sections 4-6 fleet long (approx. 200 board feet, perhaps 140 usable board feet??) Is this worth having...
  3. L

How Do I Cut Aluminum

I'd cut WITH a piece of scrap wood in the groove - easy support
  4. L

Furniture Parts in Greensboro Warehouse for Free

I got just a little (small car, and limited by what I could carry so couldn't get extra for NCWW folks) Lots of drawer fronts (that can be reworked) What's REALLY needed are: 1-pickup or trailer that can handle a rutted/muddy road (AWD) 2-study boots (uneven/collapsed floor in small abandoned...
  5. L

Furniture Parts in Greensboro Warehouse for Free

I'd LOVE some of the drawer parts (could use a few dozen for upcoming projects - I can pick up after work today or early tomorrow morning (and if you wish, I could take MORE and hold them for NCWW interested folks to pick up this Spring in NW Greensboro if your friend wants them cleared out...
  6. L

Tool Gloat, Confession of Ignorance, and Request for Advice

An Introduction to Hand Planes – 6 hours. $90. Find out what hand planes you’ll need and how to work with them. What’s the first plane you should have? What plane is best suited for each application? Should you buy new or used for your first hand plane? In this introduction to hand planes...
  7. L

Mike Davis: There is no class schedule, just send me a message and we can set up a date, usually Saturday Sounds great - I'll look at my schedule and get information on cost/duration of classes I'm not good with names & faces, so sorry I missed Craig C and Bill Clemmons at the auction: I did...
  8. L

Wow, I just presumed that most folks still weren't holding classes - I'm fine to attend when not working, so will look up the class schedule and sign up when possible
  9. L

GLOAT: On my way home after work Saturday morning I couldn’t pass up an ‘Auction’ sign in Greensboro. I lucked into an estate auction that included quite a large amount of high-end woodworking tools. Fortunately for my wallet I arrived 2 hours late and so missed about half of an amazing...
  10. L

"Woodsat" is a birch-based nano-satellite planned for Earth orbit

After testing in the upper stratosphere recently, the Finnish Woodsat will test the effects of space on birch plywood (coated with aluminum oxide) I'm not making this up!
  11. L

Oak handrails (1 new/1 used, FREE)

Red oak as I recall
  12. L

They're yours if you want 'em - just takin up space here but no hurry...
  13. L

These are still available (I'm off next weekend)
  14. L

Covid - Vaccines - Workshops

DrBob: Sorry, but even a cursory evaluation of the medical literature completely debunks this. UCSF, the New England journal, World Health Organization and the CDC all provide many reliable studies showing the CLEAR benefits of (valveless) masks in preventing community spread of respiratory...
  15. L

Hold Heet Glue Pot

I've done well with the $3 coffee-cup warmers, just use an old can with some water, and the glue pot inside of that Quick and easy
  16. L

New/unused (sanded 150—>220—>400) oak stair handrail 14-feet long, I think: purchased at Home Depot last year but wound up making one from mahogany so uninstalled and pristine; 2-3 inches at one end has a polyurethane coat applied to check finish color Used (but nice) oak handrail 143" long...
  17. L

ALL CLAIMED: 5/8" PREFINISHED Baltic Birch Plywood (4x8)

This sounds great - I'm working all week but if needed they can be left in my driveway (I'll get a tarp ready if rain in forecast) How should I pay (cash or PayPal)?
  18. L

ALL CLAIMED: 5/8" PREFINISHED Baltic Birch Plywood (4x8)

This would be perfect for some upcoming cabinet plans I'm fine to commit for FIVE sheets ($200) if they could be dropped off in NW Greensboro, no current vehicle that can move 4x8's I can store a few more sheets for a week if you need to drop off extras for other local buyers I'm about 3 miles...
  19. L

Electrical options of r setting up a new shop

As dedicated BEV driver for a decade (battery electric vehicle, NO gas ever and now on my second Nissan LEAF) I'd recommend adding wiring for at least one 220V 40-50 amp Level-2 EV charger if you will have a car parked in/near the garage - if panel is full you most likely would only charge at...
  20. L

Table Saw Journey

As a pediatrician, the only saw I'd have is a SawStop - extra cost is covered by the copay for even a few sutures (and losing a finger can cost a job…) SawStop is very good quality too - no regrets with my 1.75hp contractor (nor the 3hp Cabinet version at the Forge)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors