Search results

1. ErnieM

Piano added piece - achieving the gloss black?

If the piano is about 25 years old and it is imported, chances are the finish is polyester, not lacquer. You can usually tell by the absence of sharp edges on the case. If everything is rounded and smooth it's probably polyester. Matching this with lacquer is difficult to do. Fortunately, this...
  2. ErnieM

First Place at the State Fair!

That's beautiful!!! Congratulations.
  3. ErnieM

Puzzle Box 5 - The Clock completed

Hey Richo - so good to hear from you. How about let us know how you're doing in Knoxville. We miss you up here - so does Morgans.
  4. ErnieM

Old Rose Wood Piano Needs Woodworker to Give it New Life

It may seem absurd, but it's not. Loose tuning pins are common in older pianos. If the piano has its original tuning pins (a piano tech would be able to determine that) the piano can be restrung using bigger tuning pins - they come in seven different diameters. However, if the tuning pins are...
  5. ErnieM

Old Rose Wood Piano Needs Woodworker to Give it New Life

That's a truly beautiful piece. It may or may not have any musical value and it would be more trouble than it's worth to try to re-purpose the wood unless the price was low. I would call your local chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild and find out which of their members has experience with...
  6. ErnieM

Latest harpsichord finished with sound

I agree, but the market is what the market is. There are no lines around the block wanting to buy a harpsichord. I've been fortunate in that I've never had a problem selling them. Thanks for your kind words.
  7. ErnieM

Charlie - Now you know how I feel every time you show us one of your pieces. Wow.
  8. ErnieM

Thanks Neal, I've never counted the hours. A mid-size instrument like this one takes about 5 1/2 months. 5 months for a smaller one, and 6+ months for a large, two manual. The average time in hours would probably be 1200 to 1500 hours. Wow, that's depressing.
  9. ErnieM

Thanks to everyone for your kind responses. I've been building these instruments for 38 years and still love the work - it keeps me young (kind of).
  10. ErnieM

Hank, Here's a closeup of the keyboard. I make the key coverings with sapele, cherry, or ebony. This photo shows a sapele keyboard. The sharp keys are made of maple and stained or painted black. The white sharp coverings are made of bone or Micarta. Bone has gotten very expensive so this...
  11. ErnieM

This is my latest instrument, finished in May of this year. The case is poplar and is ebonized with India Ink, a product I've never used before. I used SpeedBall Super Black india ink, and it was much easier to work with than I thought it would be. I will definitely be using it again. To hear a...
  12. ErnieM

Drafting program

Unfortunately, DeltaCad is out of business. I've tried several alternatives and none are as simple as DeltaCad. The best I've found so far is LibreCad. It's a free program so you might as well give it a try.
  13. ErnieM

Latest Turnings

sxie;dlddjflk, asoe;elkjfdooo59dldkl!!! Sorry, but I ran out of English superlatives to describe your work. We need a new language so we can write something original that captures the awe we feel when looking at your masterpieces.
  14. ErnieM

DeltaCad

I've been using DeltaCad for 12 years and love it. It has, however, been discontinued. I've written to the company but have not heard back from them. I've been trying some alternative programs, but none have come close to the simplicity of DeltaCad. Fortunately DeltaCad never went to the...
  15. ErnieM

Relocating for retirement

Welcome Ed, We just returned home from Fayetteville, NY - your current stomping grounds. That's the coldest we've been in a long time, but my daughter and her family love it there. We're in Chocowinity, NC. which is 18 miles from Greenville NC. and 30 miles north of New Bern.We moved here from...
  16. ErnieM

Actually got a Christmas present done in time.

That is truly beautiful. I'm sure your daughter will treasure it forever.
  17. ErnieM

Farewell to NC

Richo, You will be missed here at NCWW. Thanks for keeping our little group of merry woodworkers together for our (almost) monthly lunches. It won't be the same without you. I wish you the best of luck in your new adventures. Please continue to post here at NCWW and let us now how you're doing...
  18. ErnieM

10,000 hours of practice.

Respectfully, I beg to differ. Talent is everything! Without it, you can practice with focus and with a goal in mind until the cows come home but you'll never be an elite player, violinist, composer, etc. Mike said it much better than I can: "The truth is that everybody needs practice but some...
  19. ErnieM

May Contest Winner Ernie and Sandra Miller

Linc The bentside is laminated from 4 pieces of 1/8" thick stock to which glue is applied. The plys are clamped in a large jig until thoroughly dry. Once removed from the jig, the bentside is cut to its final length and width. Bridges and other curved pieces are steamed and clamp to a jig for...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS