Search results

1. J

Double Sided Woodworking Tape

I use FastCap double sided tape and I like it. It is kind of like two sides of glue separated by a very thin plastic layer. It is hard to peel the release paper off but it sticks well and if you separate the parts within a few minutes they will come apart. I've used it a lot for routing chair...
  2. J

Best all-around finish?

I've mostly used Osmo Polyx-oil for several years now. A dining room table and chairs, a couple bedroom sets and other pieces. It is a two coat finish with a low sheen. The first coat soaks in some and you use more finish on the first coat. The second coat goes much quicker and you use a lot...
  3. J

"Floating Shelves"- method critique

I've done floating shelves in a storage room off my garage and on the back wall of my garage. In both cases, I built a frame of 3/4 material about 1.5 inches tall, might have been 1.75 inches, that is glued and screwed together with the pieces projecting from the wall about a foot apart. The...
  4. J

Furniture molding

I just pin nailed some 5/8" cove molding on a small chest of drawers today. It is a woodsmith "heirloom cherry" plan. I could have used glue too but I know from experience pin nails will hold fine. Most of the wood it is fastened to has grain running parallel to the molding but the ends are...
  5. J

Dust Collection: Oneida Supercell High-Pressure Dust Collectors

To me it is a super sized shop vacuum. Could work for some but I like my setup with a HF 2HP DC set up in the corner of my shop in about 18x18 inches of space and a shop vac with it's own cyclone and hepa filtration for the small tools. It takes up more space in my small shop but I fill the 70...
  6. J

They got me...

I know what you mean about the Festool sickness. I have a few things from them but am determined not to convert. I first got a hand sander that hooks to a shop vac. I wanted it to sand drywall. Works fine, paper is expensive (surprise). Next I got a plunge base for my Fein oscillating...
  7. J

Festool sander stroke; 3mm vs 5mm?

I find the Bosch DEVS 1250 works well for fine work but it does tend to remove more wood on the side where the motor is. I often use it one handed and that probably affects how well it is supported. But as long as you are aware of the tendency I do not find it hard to make sure I move it...
  8. J

They got me...

My only Festool is my Domino XL. I did not like the price but I like the tool. I hope the Kapex is the same for you. I use a Bosch 5 meter hose with my domino and my Bosch sander and DeWalt track saw. The domino and tracksaw did not need an adapter and the Bosch sander uses the one that came...
  9. J

Festool sander stroke; 3mm vs 5mm?

I do not own a Festool sander but my favorite is a now out of date Bosch DEVS 1250, a bit like the Rotex of Festool and it has a 5mm stroke. Normally I use it for all my sanding including final sanding with 220 grit prior to finish application. It has a 5mm stroke. I cannot see any scratches...
  10. J

Combination Squares

I have another viewpoint. I think a combination square can be a "heavy iron" type tool that even Harbor Freight can be a reasonable source for. But I'd have to go look at theirs to be sure. I would also compare it's measurements and squareness to known good tools before buying. The advantage...
  11. J

Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector $100 off

I agree with Rory. I didn't do exactly what he suggested but close. Mine pulls through one 5 inch line and exhausts out a 6 inch line through the wall. The HF motor/blower sit on top of a super dust deputy. I have metal blast gates and open only one at a time. I used it just today on...
  12. J

Changed my tune

For router bits my go to brand is MLCS woodworking. I don't really see anything about my few whiteside bits that are better. But MLCS are a little better than the bits I've purchased from Amazon. But if I will seldom use a bit I may just go for the cheapest which is often Amazon. I think...
  13. J

Structural Engineer

This is not well researched and should not be relied upon. But to get some idea of the relative size of steel and a glu lam I googled "beam for a 20 foot span". I don't know what they assumed for loading which can make a big difference. One item said 40 lbs/square foot. But with that caveat...
  14. J

Structural Engineer

I'm not a structural engineer. My degree is mechanical engineering and that was a long time ago. If you are looking at beam deflection you will find steel is much stronger, this is governed by a property called the modulus of elasticity. But the cross section is also important. Enough wood...
  15. J

Is it worth converting to 220v?

The only advantage of the 220V circuit is the current will be lower. The watts will be the same. If you had to run a close to 2hp motor on a 14 gauge wire circuit (limited to 15A) you would need to go to 220V. But a 12 gauge circuit is fine at 20A (for a reasonable distance run) and will...
  16. J

Heating solution

I keep a little electrical resistance heater in my shop but haven't used it so far this year. I've started a bed for my oldest grandson but they are not in a hurry for it and I only work for a few hours at a time. I wear a coat. My shop is an extra 14x24 garage with insulation. The heat in...
  17. J

Best way to stain plywood black?

I buy black printers ink from amazon. It is thick, I think it's meant to print on t-shirts. I wipe it on like a gel stain. Works great. I've used it on softwood, hardwood(poplar), and softwood plywood.
  18. J

How Much Accumulation Do You Get if you Exhaust DC Outside?

I use a "2 hp" DC motor and blower from Harbor Freight mounted on top of a super dust deputy with a 70 gallon dust bin below the cyclone. The exhaust from the cyclone goes through the wall past a swinging plastic 6 inch vent towards some bushes. The only time I see any dust on anything other...
  19. J

Saw stop arrived- quick review

I'm pretty sure that the push stick comment is not serious but in case anybody misunderstands, you can still get injured by a SawStop despite the added protection. I got a broken bone and a few stiches from mine. You need to use all normal precautions. But if you mess up, as I did, the...
  20. J

Kitchen Cabinet Opinions

You may want to look up Scott Brown on youtube. He just did a kitchen for his house using plywood drawer fronts and doors. He did not edge band the plywood - another option if the plywood is good. He also matched the grain so it looks more like an interrupted sheet of plywood. He finished...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS